FOV Preference

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

FOV Preference

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I know this may seem like a dumb question. The Rift is supposed to have 110 degrees of diagonal FOV. What FOV should a game have to match up with this?

I thought it was 110 degrees, but some are saying 90. Is there a correct figure?

Regards,
Neil
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: FOV Preference

Post by Fredz »

The FOV depends on several varying parameters, especially the type of eyecups (A, B or C) and the distance between the eyes and the lenses (and the IPD to a lesser extent). At this time I don't think anyone has been able to correctly calculate the real FOV for a particular configuration since the second parameter can't be precisely measured (confirmed by someone from Oculus VR).

You can still see the calculated vertical FOV in the Oculus World demo for a specific configuration by pressing the Spacebar twice (or get it through the StereoConfig utility class in the Oculus SDK). Default values seem to be 114.5° horizontal and 125.5° vertical (with A eyecups I suppose) according to this post.

Looking at the TriDef release notes (see Game notes) it seems they don't have a definitive answer either since they recommend different FOV settings for each game (from 80° to 125°). VorpX recommends a FOV around ~90°.

So until Oculus VR (or someone else) is able to provide a definitive way to calculate the FOV I guess the best thing to do would be to let the user find what works best for him using some trial & error. Some default values could be recommended based on internal testing for the different eyecups and several eye-to-lenses settings (the knobs on the sides of the HMD).

Return to “Development / General Discussion”