Sony will make a oculus-like hmd for ps4

colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Sony will make a oculus-like hmd for ps4

Post by colocolo »

yeah, i also noted that those 'normal' people have some problems with such technology.
they seem to feel a bit inferior and intimitated. Probably they fear VR could menace their reckless way of life if VR has the potential to change society and technical culture.
Right now they can boast with their super multiple core smartphones and they say: yeah i have quad core and you not! (because right now the power in a smartphone does not have that much computational value for serious apps)
but when it will come to VR inner values will be more important. they have absolutely no idea of the tech behind it, thus they loose sth.
its always the same with 'normal' people . Things they dont understand and could be really useful they just laugh at and make it bad. its really like that.
same with solar, same with electric cars............proletarians
i can only wish that those people get their yaps stuffed.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

blazespinnaker wrote:Yeah, I definitely agree with the above, especially Dan's viewpoint (though I wonder if he tried it with headphones on)
I thought Dan had the least legitimate criticism of them all. Their comments summarised:
  • Dan: "I don't care if this is an improvement over a TV; any improvement is worthless until it's perfect". (confusing/non-logical)
  • David: "It looks neat, and I love new technology, but I'm not sure yet if it will become part of mainstream gaming". (sensible)
  • Rebecca: "VR looks great but I think games will be too intense" (doesn't realise there are games other than Call of Duty available)
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

You know guys, this isn't a religion. We don't have to take it personally just because we happen to love VR and not 100% of everyone else does.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
kevinw729
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kevinw729 »

Noting a high level of 'fanboy-dom' over those that like or hate VR - best to plow the middle furrow and go for a non-committal approach.

Also there is some word on the JP forums that the actual Sony VR system will be a a peripheral that will need to access the core of the PS4 (anyone say upgrade box!) Would be embarrassing if their super powerful Gen-8 console needs a "boost" to run good VR!! :roll:

Best part about Sony in the race is their "console" is a fixed box solution, so it give a big red target for all the PC hardware boys to beat. :mrgreen:
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

blazespinnaker wrote:You know guys, this isn't a religion. We don't have to take it personally just because we happen to love VR and not 100% of everyone else does.
You know guy, this is a religion : p
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

virror wrote:
blazespinnaker wrote:You know guys, this isn't a religion. We don't have to take it personally just because we happen to love VR and not 100% of everyone else does.
i call our god the Humorously Material Deus
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

kevinw729 wrote:Noting a high level of 'fanboy-dom' over those that like or hate VR - best to plow the middle furrow and go for a non-committal approach.

Also there is some word on the JP forums that the actual Sony VR system will be a a peripheral that will need to access the core of the PS4 (anyone say upgrade box!) Would be embarrassing if their super powerful Gen-8 console needs a "boost" to run good VR!! :roll:

Best part about Sony in the race is their "console" is a fixed box solution, so it give a big red target for all the PC hardware boys to beat. :mrgreen:
and you'll get more than 2 next gen engines to run on the things. i love how you ironically went pc fanboy.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

virror wrote:
Nah, that's just your insecurity talking.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

blazespinnaker wrote:The oculus rift is more for fan boys like us. Things like "Guitar Hero" or "Dance Central" or "Wii Sports" .. Those games just don't work with the rift.
Thinking about it, I find these games would be very nice with the Rift :
- Guitar Hero : playing electric guitar in arena concerts in front of thousands of fans, a whole lot better than alone in your living room
- Dance Central : dancing in a suburb dance club using a Kinect and seeing your move in the big mirrors with people shouting and claping hands
- And Wiisports, I mean tennis, baseball, bowling, golf and boxing using a PS Move or a Razer Hydra, that would be really great in VR and closest to the real thing than anything else

Not necessarily appealing to casual gamers (although I may be surprised), but to me pretty much.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Without a doubt, the visual and immersive experience of every game will be better with the Rift. Of that, there is no doubt.

But there's a degree of real social isolation that comes with the Rift that's without question, either.

People just won't buy into that, en masse .. at least not at $400 a pop.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Not sure how playing an online game in VR is less social than playing the same game on a TV/monitor. Obviously, I'm not talking about Mario Party or other social living room games. Then again, if everyone in the room had a headset then once again it wouldn't be anti-social.
PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by PasticheDonkey »

it can remove you from being able to give adequate care and diligence to things in reality tho.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

MSat wrote:Not sure how playing an online game in VR is less social than playing the same game on a TV/monitor. Obviously, I'm not talking about Mario Party or other social living room games. Then again, if everyone in the room had a headset then once again it wouldn't be anti-social.
yeah, I'm not sure either :D Unfortunately, everyone I've talked to who isn't a fanboy doesn't seem to see it my way.
Alejux
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Alejux »

blazespinnaker wrote:Without a doubt, the visual and immersive experience of every game will be better with the Rift. Of that, there is no doubt.

But there's a degree of real social isolation that comes with the Rift that's without question, either.

People just won't buy into that, en masse .. at least not at $400 a pop.

Sometimes, people don't know what they want, until they experience it. This has been true for many, many revolutionary inventions out there, from the iphone, to personal computers. Could be the case of the Rift.

On the other hand, future versions of the Rift (and other HMDs) will definitely have to integrate elements that promote shared virtual experiences, such as facial motion capture, binaural audio and decent body/hand tracking if they want make VR into a social shared experience, which is IMO the ultimate goal of VR. When that happens, VR stops being an isolated experience, and turns into a great tool for communication and socializing.
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Oculus like SONY HMD for ps4 really don't matter for Oculus RIFT.

Here is why..

A. Sony will lock the their HMD with their PS-IV (Highest Probablity)
B. Sony is less likey to offer any such device at low price of 500$ if not 800/1000$ (Even today HMZ T1,2,3 all costs above 1000$) which makes it unattractive for masses.
C. RIFT has shown no symptoms going closed eco system or console exclusive or exclusive for any XBrand.
D. RIFT's target price band is positively around 300/400$ for consumer version.
E. RIFT Prime focused on PC then ANDROID DEVICEs both places less likely to be overlaped by SONY HMD,at least for short future..

Rift Fans Don't Panic, Enjoy... :mrgreen:
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

PasticheDonkey wrote:it can remove you from being able to give adequate care and diligence to things in reality tho.
Playing games with headphones on has a similar effect, but millions of people still use those. Visual isolation can (and most like will) be addressed my a system that can detect and notify the player when something or someone is within a certain range. Something like this can be done for audio too by interfacing with a microphone on the HMD or computer/console.
moren
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by moren »

Attreyu wrote:
Chriky wrote:Are you saying that you can send HD footage, low latency, 60FPS to a phone that doesn't have HDMI in?
Exactly. To any display device which has a microUSB input.
Chriky wrote:Can you upload a demo of your solution please?
By all means, that's my intention, once it's ready, in a couple of days.
Have you already uploaded said demo?
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

Dilip wrote: B. Sony is less likey to offer any such device at low price of 500$ if not 800/1000$ (Even today HMZ T1,2,3 all costs above 1000$) which makes it unattractive for masses.

Price of HMZ means nothing. There is no chance that anything with Playstation brand (= for the masses) on it would cost more than $600. HMZ has microoleds which are expensive to manufacture.
Didn't Carmack have to pay something like $10K for a pair of microoleds to test 120hz (sub 20ms latency) in 2012?
Even PUD-J5A (which had headtracking and headphones) released by Sony 11 years ago cost only $500.

Sony has access to better screens, so they can actually create a similar HMD to Oculus with similar price and better picture quality. They could potentially sell it with loss (like PS3) thanks to licensing profiting (the advantage of a closed console ecosystem), which would put Oculus in a terrible position, but this is 2014 we are talking about, not 2006 and this kind of risky strategy in console business is a thing of the past.

Return to “Oculus VR”