Design in VR then make RR

PasticheDonkey
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Design in VR then make RR

Post by PasticheDonkey »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNqs_S-zEBY

this is Elon Musk's new work flow for design. somewhat inspired by the ironman movies of which he was an inspiration for the interpretation of the character. great usage of the rift.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Design in VR then make RR

Post by blazespinnaker »

That workflow (minus the leap motion stuff) has been around for about a decade now :)

As for the hand gestures, notice that no one was actually designing with the hand movements. Just using it to explore the content.

That makes sense to me, all the design work I've ever done has required input of precise coordinates in order to do anything reasonably sophisticated.

Someone did make an interesting comment about using hand movements to come up with 'rough' 3D sketches though. So in that respect, I can see where it can be an additional tool in the design process.

Pretty cool to see a CEO so deep in the technical details though .. even if some of that might just be PR. He's such an incredible role model for children (of all ages).
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Design in VR then make RR

Post by zalo »

Elon was apparently majoring in materials science (specifically new battery technology) before he started PayPal, so I'm not surprised he wants to get into the nitty gritty.

Blaze is right though, I have a hard time imagining anyone at Space X using the leap in its current form in a productive capacity. Unless Leap gave them access to some special features, this was probably just a PR stunt saying "Look! Elon Musk really is Iron Man! Buy Stock!"

But dat titanium printing is damn badass. I recall a NASA study saying that those parts have a similar reliability to traditionally made parts.

Also, shameless plug:
http://youtu.be/sAtwW6pzqGY

Return to “Oculus VR”