UnderCurrent - Beautiful underwater Rift game

Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

UnderCurrent - Beautiful underwater Rift game

Post by Parallaxis »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puO2LwjI_7c

Besides looking unbelievable nice and very close to a AAA title, I think it moves much to fast and that ruins the underwater feeling for me.

Boy this game has potential to be a killer-game for the Rift. (Yes it is a Rift game!)
Last edited by Parallaxis on Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Re: UnderCurrent

Post by boone188 »

Sweet! I get the feeling that this could be the Rift's killer app for James Cameron:

+
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I got another one published on Joystiq.com:

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/04/17/under ... ulus-rift/

A few days ago I got them to write about The Gallery too, so my tips are definitely working! This is awesome, I love to help Rift developers.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
chrfrausig
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: UnderCurrent - Beautiful underwater Rift game

Post by chrfrausig »

@ Parallaxis

Thank you so much for all the support! We are very excited about all the attention that we've been getting over the past couple of days!

Incidentally I am Danish like yourself, so its good to see that Im making my country proud ;)
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

The fast movement and arcade-style gameplay of "must get air before it runs out" seem to be the exactly wrong gameplay given the immersiveness of the environment. It should be a slower-moving exploration-based game.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

I agree. Slow pace and detailed surroundings with lots of fish, wrecks, plants and corels will make a better experience for VR.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
NegativeCamber
Cross Eyed!

Post by NegativeCamber »

boone188 wrote:Sweet! I get the feeling that this could be the Rift's killer app for James Cameron:

+

DarkAkuma
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by DarkAkuma »

I don't get it. What's the actual "game" in this? I don't see any interaction with anything other than moving around. I don't even see any story elements. It just seems like a glorified screensaver.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding negative. I'm usually not. I'm just failing to understand it as a "game".

Other than that, it looks nice I guess. The submarine cockpit view should work well on the Rift with traditional controls and from a seated position, like Hawken.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

DarkAkuma wrote:I don't get it. What's the actual "game" in this? I don't see any interaction with anything other than moving around. I don't even see any story elements. It just seems like a glorified screensaver.

I'm sorry if I'm sounding negative. I'm usually not. I'm just failing to understand it as a "game".

Other than that, it looks nice I guess. The submarine cockpit view should work well on the Rift with traditional controls and from a seated position, like Hawken.
I haven't read much about it and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this is just a students project. So far anyway... I guess their next step is to put more game into it?

Anyway, that being said, it's day 0 for VR (I believe we're at day 1 now) so you can expect a lot of "fun for 5-10 minutes" experiences before we really get what's really fun and what isn't in VR.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Indeed, there's a lot of tech demos around that are being labelled as games where obviously they're not. They're good showcases for what the OR can do and it's great to see them but perhaps change the word 'game' to 'experience'
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

Hey guys, you're all correct so far and thanks for the feedback.
The plan was to just make a playable and 'tutorialized' demo so that players new to the rift will have something relatively simple and slow-paced to help them get used to the VR technology. We had 3 months to develop this whilst also doing school work, and we're still waiting for our Rift to arrive.

Due to the impressive response we've received from the community we'd like to port it over to the rift ASAP and release an early demo to the community, then continue development in order to add more immersive and Rift-specific gameplay. A lot of the core team is still on board, plus we've managed to gain interest from a composer and a writer to help guide us.

We want to continue testing out lots of mechanics, puzzles, environment setups, creature interactions, story beats ect. in order to discover what will make the best experience on the Oculus Rift. It's a mystery!
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Chard wrote:Hey guys, you're all correct so far and thanks for the feedback.
The plan was to just make a playable and 'tutorialized' demo so that players new to the rift will have something relatively simple and slow-paced to help them get used to the VR technology. We had 3 months to develop this whilst also doing school work, and we're still waiting for our Rift to arrive.

Due to the impressive response we've received from the community we'd like to port it over to the rift ASAP and release an early demo to the community, then continue development in order to add more immersive and Rift-specific gameplay. A lot of the core team is still on board, plus we've managed to gain interest from a composer and a writer to help guide us.

We want to continue testing out lots of mechanics, puzzles, environment setups, creature interactions, story beats ect. in order to discover what will make the best experience on the Oculus Rift. It's a mystery!

Well i sincerely hope you and your team keep up the good work and continue with this project Shard
With a little game play and interaction this im sure will turn out to be a very successful game for the rift, even without an objective this makes a very nice underwater experience.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

What's exciting is that we're one of the first teams out there making a game with the Oculus Rift as our primary platform. There are a lot of 1st person games out on greenlight that have pledged themselves to launching on the Rift and that's excellent. But we're putting in the time to ensuring the optimal experience will be for VR players and hydra owners.
It's pretty tough trying to walk the line between arcadey gameplay and realistic immersion. Whenever it strays too far into one direction or the other the reactions we get from playtesters is pretty jarring.
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

There always be negativity there whatever you do and honestly ive seen demos that are less creative than this being over rated .
The fact use are putting in the hard work needed and with hydra support i cant honestly see where this will fail.
Its been said many times and about 50 times in the last week that people that will be using and experiencing the rift will want to experience something
rather than play something.
I love playing games but for me really this whole O/R VR experience ive been waiting for , for the last 30 years is really about feeling it rather than playing it.
Many will disagree with that but we are all different and want different things from vr and game play
Personally i want to sit down and relax and feel im somewhere else and be taken on a journey and really believe ive been there, rather than shot someone and get the highest score.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Follow your vision! However you think the balance between gameplay and realism works out then go for it!

I'm real excited for you guys. I love the look.

You're currently on the front page of the NBC news website.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Nice to have you here Chard! Keep up the good work!
eidahl
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by eidahl »

I'd love to see Bioshock + Myst underwater.. without the silly action/shoot-em-up gameplay. :P
Aeroflux

Post by Aeroflux »

I have a weakness for underwater games (one of the most obscure genres), so here's hoping this turns into a great VR experience! I'll be creating Conshelf II as a model project this quarter at school. Also, did a UDK level with a few students a couple quarters ago, so I definitely know what it's like to be under the gun and yield something playable. For three months it looks very clean. Looking forward to the next build!
chrfrausig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chrfrausig »

We have almost finished university now, and we're looking very much forward to getting back into developing UnderCurrent.
In order to craft the best possible experience for you, we would really like to get your feedback on the prototype, and hear where you want UnderCurrent to go.

If you own a Rift and would like to test the prototype, please email UnderCurrentGame@gmail.com
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

After playing the demo of this game I am wondering why there are so many planes underwater?
Is this set in the Bermuda Triangle?

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
3devious
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3devious »

Since most of the world is ocean, what's a more appropriate "landing" site? (I know that sounds awful but the way that some of us drive cars, what would you expect?)
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

I really dig the control scheme. Moving your head goes first and the sub moves slightly afterwards. This make the experience quite fluent. There are times where I would like to turn my head without turning the vehicle. I didn't find a control for that.

I like how you added a way to exit your vehicle but then tell people "don't exit the vehicle".

The overal atmosphere was relaxing and didn't make me nauseas for a long time, until I came to sharp corners where turning my head wasn't enough and I had to turn with the controls. Turning was too fast... and my feeling is that it should be slower (using keyboard, not an analog stick)

Amazing feeling having a huge shark swim overhead.
The batoidea swam right through me which was quite uncomfortable.
I don't like no-clipping in VR at all.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

Chard wrote:UnderCurrent Oculus Rift Demo Download α0.3
http://sbx.sk/A6fm
https://sellboxhq.com/l/A6fm/UnderCurre ... -%CE%B10-3
The download link is not working. Tried with multiple browsers, it downloads the file instantly but it's just 0kb and of course corrupt. Please get this fixed, would love to try it out!
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

I provided an alternative link at the top of the page too, try it out?
undercurrentgame.co.uk/demo/
Last edited by Chard on Fri May 31, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
play2lose
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by play2lose »

Chard wrote:I provided an alternative link at the top of the page too, try it out?
That one works, downloading now!
IGameArt

Post by IGameArt »

That was by far one of the coolest things i've played with yet. I love launching up into the air and seeing a hammer head shark right in my face. Incredibly surreal :) Now if only i had a slightly beefier machine so i could get more fluid frame rates. Still it was awesome :)
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

When I launch the game my ship is shaking from side to side, anyone have any ideas :?
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

Yeah, the game does that if your computer doesn't meet the minimum specs, your frame rate is too slow and the game can't compute the physics for the vehicle fast enough. We manage to replicate that effect by running fraps - it creates too much strain and the vehicle shakes.
beatet
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by beatet »

Chard wrote:I provided an alternative link at the top of the page too, try it out?
It´s not working :o
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

I know, it's over capacity because too many people tried to download it!
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Chard wrote:Yeah, the game does that if your computer doesn't meet the minimum specs, your frame rate is too slow and the game can't compute the physics for the vehicle fast enough. We manage to replicate that effect by running fraps - it creates too much strain and the vehicle shakes.
That's cool..i have 2 PCs and was trying on the slower one (but have new gpu coming for it this week)
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

It would be super cool if you could add this tune to your game?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZK4ACg3gI8

if not ill just listen to it in the background as i play
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

...and for the Endboss! :D;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMnE-fp8wu4
chrfrausig
One Eyed Hopeful

PAID PROGRAMMERS WANTED

Post by chrfrausig »

PROGRAMMERS WANTED for VR game development at Hammerhead Interactive (Undercurrent)

Apply at:
http://undercurrentgame.com/jobs/

We are looking for a programmer to join the four-strong development team at Hammerhead as part of the Digital City Fellowship Scheme in the North East of England.
We are looking for a talented programmer with Unity or Unreal experience prepared to pioneer the next generation of Virtual Reality software. This is a fantastic opportunity to gain some experience in game development in a safe and flexible environment whilst also learning the ropes of running a business based in the Tees Valley.
If you do not reside in the North East or unable to become a partner, please let us know if you are interested in working with us on a freelance basis.

Desired Skills and Experience:
  • Practical and demonstrable experience developing to a shipping standard.
  • Proficiency with C# and JavaScript or UnrealScript and C++.
  • Ability to write clear, maintainable and optimized code.
  • Strong problem-solving skills and math background.
  • Ability to learn and adapt to new languages, techniques and codebases.
  • Self-motivated with strong work ethic.
  • Good verbal and written English skills.
Our Portfolio includes:
  • Undercurrent, an underwater adventure game for PC and Rift.
  • We Are Zombies, a horror stealth game, developed for the Oculus VRJam.
  • Architectural visualizations and walkthroughs with and without VR implementation. This contract work has a fast turnaround, and could provide a secondary revenue stream to help stabilize the company financially.
  • We are currently evaluating whether to focus on one long term project like Undercurrent, or develop a series of smaller VR experiences to be released gradually and bundled up for the launch of the consumer Rift, your input would be appreciated.
If you’ve got what it takes then apply now and include a link to your portfolio and CV.

Apply at:
http://undercurrentgame.com/jobs/

We are looking forward to hearing from you,
Christian Frausig from Hammerhead Interactive

Return to “Oculus VR”