Chaoss's Unity 4 Pro SDK 0.2.4 FOV fix (black borders gone!)

Chaoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Chaoss's Unity 4 Pro SDK 0.2.4 FOV fix (black borders gone!)

Post by Chaoss »

So the new version of the Oculus Rift SDK has been released, head tracking feels much better and cleaner even when moving your head slowly... but wait! what is this?!

All that black wasted space! it hasn't been fixed! it might not look all that much in the picture, but I can see the black space at the edges as black bars either side of my view and annoys the hell out of me, it just doesn't feel right and it feels like I have blinders on.

Anyway after much tinkering around I've come up with a 'clean' fix. It did involve changing some values (the fov for example), but these values have NOT been manually hardcoded in. I've just simply 'added' to already existing values that get pulled from I don't know where so this should be compatible with future Rift hardware or none-standard setups.

I've done extensive testing in many different scenes and I can confirm that the scale, ipd and other settings are just as they were before and that there is no warping or other such issues.

This is how it looks now...

Much better and a much nicer field of view!

http://www.solidfiles.com/d/66ffd81af4/

Instructions are included in the .zip file :)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Re: Chaoss's Unity 4 Pro SDK 0.2.4 FOV fix (black borders go

Post by zalo »

Wow, that's really cool! Are you sure the warping and stuff are exactly the same?

I'm not at a computer right now, but if one were to open those two images in different tabs and switch between them, the subtler differences in warping might be clearer (if they exist at all! (A .gif would work too.)

And... If possible, could you make it take up the entire screen with no borders? That would be sweet!

Thanks for this camera mod
Chaoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chaoss »

zalo wrote:Wow, that's really cool! Are you sure the warping and stuff are exactly the same?

I'm not at a computer right now, but if one were to open those two images in different tabs and switch between them, the subtler differences in warping might be clearer (if they exist at all! (A .gif would work too.)

And... If possible, could you make it take up the entire screen with no borders? That would be sweet!

Thanks for this camera mod
I've spent several weeks testing all sorts of different things and I can guarantee to you that the warping is DEAD on (I have OCD, and i made sure it was PERFECT). The 2 images are taken at different angles/points of view so you won't get much comparison. The warping as it is now is clean, if I made it take up ALL the space it would be rendering unnecessary pixels (you don't see the edges at all now as the edge of the lense is in the way). The way it is now is perfect for the dev kit. Have a play with it yourself later :)
Infinite
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Infinite »

Interesting. What were the settings you altered exactly?
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

ok so I just loaded the latest SDK into my Unity game "Rift Rover" ... all went well apart from one error with antiAliasing, so I simply commented it out... probably not the best thing to do.. (not sure)

// Use MSAA settings in QualitySettings for new RenderTexture
//CameraTexture.antiAliasing = QualitySettings.antiAliasing; ( I commented this line out )

so next up I'll give your new OvrCameraController.cs script a run.... should be interesting ;)

[EDIT] All running real smooth now ..... nice one... I like his little FOV tweak.. congrats Chaoss ;)
FOV definitely feels wider & tracking is also smoother.

p.s- If anyone's interested, I'll upload an update to my game so users can test it out for themselves.. yes ?

Also... if anyone knows how to fix the antiAliasing issue please message me :)

please note: this issue has nothing to do with Chaoss's wicked little FOV upgrade... its an SDK thing only
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
Chaoss
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chaoss »

I hope they make this standard with the next SDK release.
Evenios

Post by Evenios »

yeah i agree. i dont understand why the Unity intigration has to have the windows rendered with having that black "box" around the screen, this really could be a simple fix or even a slider to make it bigger or smaller, its a bit annoying and the same issue is with Valves vr mode. I dont quite understand why it is that way and there is no option to make it bigger as a few games like second lifes alpha 3rd party viewer has a larger view area and minecrift's options as well i hope they will consider this in future updates as the key is to maximize the fov if you can!
BOLL

Post by BOLL »

People are actually seeing the black borders? I have quite long eyelashes so I have my screen assembly as far out as possible for comfort, does this mean the FoV I get is much lower? I didn't think there would be much difference, but I have yet to see any of the black borders o.O I guess I'll have to trim my eyelashes...
jmXVR
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by jmXVR »

Most non-unity Oculus demos I've seen already do this. The SDK docs have mentioned this for months.

See:
http://venturebeat.com/2013/08/02/vr-ve ... t-headset/
http://www.popcornfx.com/wp-content/upl ... culus1.jpg

Oculus IPD demo
http://i1.wp.com/www.roadtovr.com/wp-co ... rement.jpg

or look at the pics in this thread:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=17351

Or you can run the samples in the SDK and they'll be the same way.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Cool thanks! my peripherals will be happy
Lilwolf
Cross Eyed!

Post by Lilwolf »

This isn't needed for me. Once the rift is on, I can't see the black boarders at all.

HOPEFULLY this is a needed change for the commercial version having a higher fov then the development units
Science
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Science »

Just tried it with the Tuscany Demo. I can definitely see an improvement!

Return to “Oculus VR”