Question about Occulus Rift

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Question about Occulus Rift

Post by chilledsanity »

My apologies if this is in the wrong section or if this has already been answered. In the past I've been a big fan of stereoscopic 3D when it works right. I'm still interested in using it on many old Direct3D games. I'm interested in getting an Occulus Rift later SOLEY for the stereoscopic 3D support, I don't care about the head tracking. With that in mind, my question is, will the Occulus Rift still work on standard-resolution games that haven't been specifically coded for it? Like say I wanted to play a game that has a 4x3 and I just want to scale the resolution to fit the Rift (while maintaining the aspect ratio). Is that doable? If it helps, I have an Nvidia card.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Question about Occulus Rift

Post by cybereality »

If you just want to play older games with 3D support, and you are not interested in head-tracking, then don't bother with the Rift. The Rift is for immersive VR, and only really works well with specially coded content. Though there are some 3D drivers supported, it is not as broad as with traditional 3D displays. Your money would be better spent on an Nvidia certified 120Hz display.
chilledsanity
Cross Eyed!

Re: Question about Occulus Rift

Post by chilledsanity »

I don't ONLY want to play older games, I like to do a full spectrum. The way I see it, I'm going to want to play many titles, undoubtedly some that aren't natively supported for the Occulus Rift. Since I don't really care about the head tracking aspect anyway, I'm more interested in how the S-3D experience is for non-native games.

I'm mainly interested in the immersion that comes from S-3D, and I thought the wide FOV of the Rift combined with S-3D would provide a richer experience than just a 120hz monitor. If you exclude the head tracking, would you personally consider a 120Hz monitor a more immersive experience than the Occulus Rift?

Return to “3D Glasses”