HMD for best immersive experience

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
mechamania
One Eyed Hopeful

HMD for best immersive experience

Post by mechamania »

I wonder how a HMD unit for the best immersive experience would look like.

I think that the most important needed features for a high immersive experience are:
- high FOV
- low lag
- high accuracy head tracking
- world should look and feel like real, thus
- no screen door effect
- no motion artifacts
- high resolution

Please correct me if I'm missing some important features.

Now I can think of two possible systems:

A:
Oculus Rift like but with one or two higher resolution OLED displays.
Because the image is displayed for a whole frame (full persistence) there will be motion artifacts (see presentation Michael Abrash).
One could turn on the pixels for only a very short time each frame to minimize the motion artifacts, but that would result in low brightness.
Because all pixels should display the image for a particular time, the frame need to be completely buffered by the display. This will result in some lag.

B:
A display with almost no lag could be a system like above where the displays are substituted by a white screen and one or more pico laser projectors.
The graphic engine should be capable of generating each pixel information in a sequential order with the most resent object and user positions.
This could for instance be some ray-tracing implementation.
There will be no motion blur or judder in this system because all photons generated by the system will very closely reflect the real world.
But as far as I can see there is still one motion artifact: Moving objects will be perceived as having a wrong size depending on the move direction and speed and the
scan speed and direction.

So which system would give best immersive experience?
A with motion artifacts and some lag.
B with wrong object sizes for moving objects.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”