Minecrift Discussion Thread

mabrowning
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Minecrift Discussion Thread

Post by mabrowning »

Alright my army of beta testers:

First official 1.6.2 build, tested working on my machine.

Does it work for you? Should be a one (maybe two) click install. Its super-rudimentary. No progress bars, barely any helpful text, etc.

Download the installer here.

Edit: in my haste, I omitted a few details: this installs into the standard Mojang launcher, not magic launcher. Also, you'll need to change the minecraft version to "minecrift-1.6.2-b###"

For now, you may need to run the jar from the command prompt like

Code: Select all

/> java -jar minecrift-installer.jar
Soon it'll be an exe for you Windows folk.
Last edited by mabrowning on Thu Jul 18, 2013 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
dpmcalli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dpmcalli »

For newbs like me, I had to run command prompt to run this

java -jar minecrift-1.6.2-b60-installer.jar

You also may need to right click > properties > unblock the jar file before windows lets you run it.
Jademalo

Post by Jademalo »

Oooh, an installer!

Is it still possible to do it manually?
dpmcalli
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by dpmcalli »

Strangely it was prompting my to calibrate a Hydra on first run dispite not having one and it not being selected in the options. I closed and reopened the game and its gone now :?
Mart
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mart »

Not strictly on topic, but does anyone know how to enable FSAA on ATI cards in Minecraft?

I've tried both the Catalyst Control Centre "force" option and the Optifine mod, both neither work.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

mabrowning wrote:Alright my army of beta testers:

Does it work for you? Should be a one (maybe two) click install. Its super-rudimentary. No progress bars, barely any helpful text, etc.

Has this version got the UDP input plugin hehe (Joke before you kill me!)

Will test this out on my DIY Rift as soon as I get home, can't wait to mount a virtual horse (erm, i'll come back and re-word that later :P).

Thanks for all the great work. I think oculus would sell millions of units purely based on this. It has to be the best VR experience out there. I would quite happily live in minecraft now if someone would just drip feed me occasionally.

Matt.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Croccy22 wrote:

Will test this out on my DIY Rift as soon as I get home, can't wait to mount a virtual horse (erm, i'll come back and re-word that later :P).

Thanks for all the great work. I think oculus would sell millions of units purely based on this. It has to be the best VR experience out there. I would quite happily live in minecraft now if someone would just drip feed me occasionally.

Matt.
PS, had a weird VR experience with this last night. It was daylight outside, I put on my VR headset and played minecraft for about an hour, when I finished it was daytime in minecraft, I took off my headset and it was dark in the real world. Really confused me for a moment! It was like someone had just turned out the lights :P
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

dpmcalli wrote:For newbs like me, I had to run command prompt to run this

java -jar minecrift-1.6.2-b60-installer.jar

You also may need to right click > properties > unblock the jar file before windows lets you run it.
Interesting. I thought windows made jar files double-clickable. Oh well, the next step is to run it through a jar->exe converter so it's truly easy for the lazy.
Mart wrote:Not strictly on topic, but does anyone know how to enable FSAA on ATI cards in Minecraft?

I've tried both the Catalyst Control Centre "force" option and the Optifine mod, both neither work.
Don't use optifine fsaa, stick to the one you can configure in VR settings-> rendering and optics.
dpmcalli wrote:Strangely it was prompting my to calibrate a Hydra on first run dispite not having one and it not being selected in the options. I closed and reopened the game and its gone now :?
Yeah, I've seen that, too... We'll need to rethink how we choose which plugins to calibrate.

Jademalo wrote:Oooh, an installer!

Is it still possible to do it manually?
Of course! But uh.. You'll have to do all the steps the installer does anyway, so might as well use it ;)
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Croccy22 wrote:
Don't make me kill you!

Not yet, I've added approximately 0 features in 2 weeks: but I think a new build system, a new website, a new package infrastructure, porting the code to a new baseline, and an installer could give me an excuse...
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

mabrowning wrote:
Croccy22 wrote:
Don't make me kill you!

Not yet, I've added approximately 0 features in 2 weeks: but I think a new build system, a new website, a new package infrastructure, porting the code to a new baseline, and an installer could give me an excuse...
So now you've done all that........... :lol:
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

So I can't use Magic Launcher with this Beta right?

(I obviously could do a special 1.6.2 Minecrift jar and run this one with Magic Launcher.. but the old versions were more comfortable)
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

mabrowning wrote:
Croccy22 wrote:
Don't make me kill you!

After ma's killed you I'll be next in line ;-) Driven myself mad with about a gazillion bug fixes...
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Dakor wrote:So I can't use Magic Launcher with this Beta right?

(I obviously could do a special 1.6.2 Minecrift jar and run this one with Magic Launcher.. but the old versions were more comfortable)
I haven't attempted to use the magic launcher, but I would hope it would work out of the box after using the installer. Haven't looked at how it handles 1.6+ versions with their separate library jars. The installer makes pretty much everything a library. It pulls down JRift and SixenseJava from repo.minecraft-vr.com (if a new version of minecrift needs a new version of the jars), sets up Optifine as a library, and actually sets up Minecraft 1.6.2 as a library itself (so the actual versions/minecrift-1.6.2-bXYZ/minecrift-1.6.2-bXYZ.jar is empty).

Edit: I just tested it: Magic launcher pulls in all necessary jars, so it does work. However, it needs to be run once in the Mojang launcher so that it downloads the libraries. MagicLauncher could get a lot smarter here, even showing the library jars in a list somewhere. I anticipate many people starting to deploy mods like this, so it will behoove Magic Launcher to do so. But it doesn't yet. The mod list is empty. Given that, I think the main usefulness of the Magic Launcher is lost.
virtuousRifter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by virtuousRifter »

Hi, and thank you for all your hard work. I was able to install and use. The HUD's occlusion culling feature is really awesome. Head tracking didn't seem to be working for me, I tried toggling it on and off through the GUI. Let me know any way I can help with testing/development. Thank you again, and keep up all the great work!
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

virtuousRifter wrote:Hi, and thank you for all your hard work. I was able to install and use. The HUD's occlusion culling feature is really awesome. Head tracking didn't seem to be working for me, I tried toggling it on and off through the GUI. Let me know any way I can help with testing/development. Thank you again, and keep up all the great work!
Try Selecting/Deslecting Oculus from the Head Tracker options page a time or two. Also, make sure the Rift is turned on and displaying; I've noticed it doesn't respond over USB if it isn't getting a DVI/HDMI signal.

Could you pastebin the Development Console? We may be able to read the logs and see if there is an obvious issue.

Or were you talking about Hydra positional tracking?

You mentioned helping with development. We'd welcome some additional coders! If you're up to it, start up the github project and setup the dev environment. I've got quite a few items that could stand to be implemented. ;)
virtuousRifter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by virtuousRifter »

mabrowning wrote:Or were you talking about Hydra positional tracking?
No, sorry for not being clear. I was indeed talking about the Rift Head Tracking. I had previously tried Selecting/Deselecting it in the options page. The Rift display works in that I can see/configure the HUD in game and use the arrow keys to move. Mouselook and head tracking however, were not working for me. Probably, user error. I will pastebin the output from the dev console when I get a chance.
mabrowning wrote:You mentioned helping with development. We'd welcome some additional coders! If you're up to it, start up the github project and setup the dev environment. I've got quite a few items that could stand to be implemented.
Last night, I tried setting up the dev environment. I just downloaded the zip and tried to build the mod quickly. I wasn't able to fully test the build but the python scripts seemed to work in that they exported the zip and didn't throw up all over the place. I will let you know for certain that I have the dev environment setup and we can go from there.

PS, I am currently using the 1.6.2 installer jar you provided in a previous post not my github build.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

I should probably update the README before telling people to go get started with the dev environment ;)

All that is required now is:

\>install.bat
[change code]
\>build.bat
:D
benz145
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by benz145 »

Edit: in my haste, I omitted a few details: this installs into the standard Mojang launcher, not magic launcher. Also, you'll need to change the minecraft version to "minecrift-1.6.2-b###"

For now, you may need to run the jar from the command prompt like

/> java -jar minecrift-installer.jar
Soon it'll be an exe for you Windows folk.
Beta was working great earlier today. Came back to it and it seems Mojang updated their launcher which may have messed with it. Or possibly a bug with Hydra positional tracking.

I just sat back down to play again after it working fine earlier today (but hadn't yet tried Hydra positional tracking). I attached the Hydra and enabled positional tracking and it was working very well with no adjustments. I tried switched my resource (texture) pack and the game crashed. I restarted and was immediately prompted to point the Hydra at the base and pull the trigger. I tried pulling the trigger while it was on my head but nothing happened and it continued to promp me to do the Hydra calibration.

I went into the settings and disabled Hydra positional tracking and restarted the game. Next time I launched it I was not prompted to calibration the Rift and could not even manually initiate calibration through the menus. I tried toggling between Hydra and Rift rotational tracking but now it looks like the game isn't seeing the Rift headtracker at all as I can never get it to prompt for calibration. I tried unplugging/replugging the Rift's USB as well as turning it on/off. No luck. I'll try a reinstall now.

Edit: Forgot to add -- current install process is 100x easier than going through all the crap with Optifine and Magic Launcher, can we keep it this way? On a similar note, the installed is taller than 800 pixels which means you have to change out of Rift resolution to install it lol.

Edit #2: Found the reason why it wasn't finding the tracker, there was a hidden instance of java still running in the background (had to close it through the task manager) which was likely intercepting the tracker.
Last edited by benz145 on Thu Jul 18, 2013 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

mabrowning wrote:You mentioned helping with development. We'd welcome some additional coders! If you're up to it, start up the github project and setup the dev environment. I've got quite a few items that could stand to be implemented. ;)
Uh, so how hard is Java compared to C# / C++ ? :lol:
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
unsilentwill
Cross Eyed!

Post by unsilentwill »

I'm on Windows and I'm lazy, but I'm also excited and impatient so I found that "/> java -jar minecrift-installer.jar" works with the right location of:

/> java -jar "X:\Windows\XXX\downloadlocationX\minecrift-1.6.2-bXYZ.jar"

In which the Xs are replaced by the the drive letter, and the downloaded location of the jar and whatever version of Minecrift is current. Plug all that in with quotations and it works instantly, good stuff. I'm impressed with how well the mod runs so far, haven't sat down (or stood up?) to do the Hydra stuff yet even though I should.

One crazy request though, I'd love to go on our multiplayer server and wander our massive creations, but with 1.6.2 our reluctant server cut off manual control, so we have to revert to a profile of 1.6.1 to logon. How complex would your mod have to be to be able to support multiple version profiles like the new launcher?
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

TheHolyChicken wrote:Uh, so how hard is Java compared to C# / C++ ? :lol:
The language is easy enough to pick up. Its kind of nice compared to C++, not having to worry so hard about memory management... but its about on par with C#. Luckily, minecraft is written very simply(almost too simply sometimes), so its pretty easy to pick up and go.

Probably the greatest barrier to entry would be jumping into the rendering code and general 3D math/game dev.
unsilentwill wrote:I'm on Windows and I'm lazy, but I'm also excited and impatient
Have I got a deal for you, then! I got exe installers properly building. build #70 and on include that as a download option.
unsilentwill wrote:One crazy request though, I'd love to go on our multiplayer server and wander our massive creations, but with 1.6.2 our reluctant server cut off manual control, so we have to revert to a profile of 1.6.1 to logon. How complex would your mod have to be to be able to support multiple version profiles like the new launcher?
I don't quite follow. If you want a new profile that is just for running minecrift, go ahead and create one. I probably won't automate that process; its a single button in the launcher. You can easily change which version a profile launches with the "Edit Profile" button. I've added some text to the installer to highlight this fact.

However, if you want me to backport the mod to 1.6.1.... yeah, probably not.

benz145 wrote:Edit #2: Found the reason why it wasn't finding the tracker, there was a hidden instance of java still running in the background (had to close it through the task manager) which was likely intercepting the tracker.
Did this resolve your issues then? You had mentioned the launcher updated and broke stuff, or was that a false alarm?
benz145 wrote:Edit: Forgot to add -- current install process is 100x easier than going through all the crap with Optifine and Magic Launcher, can we keep it this way? On a similar note, the installed is taller than 800 pixels which means you have to change out of Rift resolution to install it lol.
I shunk down the logo earlier today. That still a problem for you? I do plan on keeping this installer route. I could probably even make the 1.5.2 and 1.4.7 builds use it as well (if I can backport 1.4.7 to work with the new launcher)
virtuousRifter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by virtuousRifter »

per your request: http://pastebin.com/Q3ercA9h

I highlighted some things that didn't look correct.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

virtuousRifter wrote:per your request: http://pastebin.com/Q3ercA9h

I highlighted some things that didn't look correct.
Debug Log wrote: Client> Loaded JRift
Client> Error! Couldn't load Oculus: Last initialisation attempt failed
This would indicate the problem is occurring, but doesn't give us any reason why... I should add some additional debug messages there. Make sure no other application is running that is reading from the Rift. Try unplugging it and putting it in a different port.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

Working great on the DIY rift with mouse emulation. Only things I have noticed is that the FOV scale doesn't seem to do anything? Also I tried the multicore rendering option in Minecraft and got some random flickering but that is prob Minecraft itself rather than your mod.

Will keep on playing and see if I spot anything else

Matt.
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stinkvis »

Croccy22 wrote:Also I tried the multicore rendering option in Minecraft and got some random flickering
That's optifine. You need to turn off threaded optimization for your GPU to use multicore rendering without flickering.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

Croccy22 wrote:Only things I have noticed is that the FOV scale doesn't seem to do anything?
Hmmm, that may have got broken somewhere. Or it may only work if you have a Rift attached and initialised. I'll have a look.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

StellaArtois wrote:
Croccy22 wrote:Only things I have noticed is that the FOV scale doesn't seem to do anything?
Hmmm, that may have got broken somewhere. Or it may only work if you have a Rift attached and initialised. I'll have a look.
Pretty sure i used it on the older version to increase/decrease the warp so it matched my hmd better.

Matt
virtuousRifter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by virtuousRifter »

mabrowning wrote:This would indicate the problem is occurring, but doesn't give us any reason why... I should add some additional debug messages there. Make sure no other application is running that is reading from the Rift. Try unplugging it and putting it in a different port.
Followed your suggestions and got the head tracking functionality working. FWIW, I believe the original USB port I was using was the culprit. Thank you for your help.

Side note: Still need to get my dev environment stood up. I will let you know when I do.
NeoCortex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NeoCortex »

about FOV: according to the v1.1 README.md it seems mabrowning is using the settings from the Oculus SDK:

- FOV adjustment within Minecraft will have no effect - I use the FOV as
calculated from within the Oculus SDK.
- Ctrl , or . decreases or increases the FOV scale factor. This can be used to
fine tune FOV if it doesn't look quite right to you.

hmm.... does that mean there is no way to adjust FOV (besides scaling) if i am using a selfmade HMD and hence the Oculus SDK settings might not be used?

Oh and i would like to see some kind of "oh crap" button, i.e. one keystroke to reset the video / VR settings to something useful in case i e.g. messed up scaling or position of the HUD so i cant read it anymore and thus cant reset the settings i just messed with :)

cu,
Neo
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

NeoCortex wrote:hmm.... does that mean there is no way to adjust FOV (besides scaling) if i am using a selfmade HMD and hence the Oculus SDK settings might not be used?
If the Rift isn't initialised, you get defaults and the FOV slider will have no effect. I'll look into changing that.
NeoCortex wrote:Oh and i would like to see some kind of "oh crap" button, i.e. one keystroke to reset the video / VR settings to something useful in case i e.g. messed up scaling or position of the HUD so i cant read it anymore and thus cant reset the settings i just messed with :)
That seems a sensible request!
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

StellaArtois wrote:If the Rift isn't initialised, you get defaults and the FOV slider will have no effect. I'll look into changing that.
I'll have to load up the old version and test again but i'm sure this had an effect before. Doesn't matter too much as it looks fine as it is but it allowed me to tweak the distortion just to get everything perfectly square.

Matt.
hal10000
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hal10000 »

So how do I get rid of the text telling me to calibrate a hydra? I don't have one but can't get the text to go away.
Thanks!
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

hal10000 wrote:So how do I get rid of the text telling me to calibrate a hydra? I don't have one but can't get the text to go away.
Thanks!
If you go to the VR options, is 'Hydra' selected for either the head tracking, head position or move aim controller?
virtuousRifter
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by virtuousRifter »

StellaArtois wrote:
hal10000 wrote:So how do I get rid of the text telling me to calibrate a hydra? I don't have one but can't get the text to go away.
Thanks!

If you go to the VR options, is 'Hydra' selected for either the head tracking, head position or move aim controller?
For me I went to Device Calibration In the VR options and turned Initial Calibration from 'At Startup' to 'Skip'. This allowed me to tweak with the settings that StellaArtois is talking about w/o the hyrda calibration text overlay every subsequent time your run minecrift.
StellaArtois
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by StellaArtois »

StellaArtois wrote:
NeoCortex wrote:hmm.... does that mean there is no way to adjust FOV (besides scaling) if i am using a selfmade HMD and hence the Oculus SDK settings might not be used?
If the Rift isn't initialised, you get defaults and the FOV slider will have no effect. I'll look into changing that.
Ok, I'd managed to break the FOV adjustment. Fixed next build. Also, we can now handle different desktop aspect ratios. Downsampling from 1920X1080 actually looks pretty good! Starts to chug a bit on my setup though (i7 920, GTX 580 3Gb).
Deop
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Deop »

Using the latest version (1.1 beta), here is my feedback:

The virtual HUD is by far the best I've seen in any game.

Minor bug: I can't select 65.5mm IPD (it jumps between 65.4mm and 65.6mm)

I'd like to mount the hydra to my upper body (by letting it dangle inside my shirt) instead of mounting it to the HMD. The Heli Hell demo does it that way and it works very well.
Could you implement this in Minecrift please? If the 3rd sensor of the upcoming Sixense Wireless controller is a clip-on, I think most people will clip it to their upper body as well.
mabrowning

Post by mabrowning »

Deop wrote:I'd like to mount the hydra to my upper body (by letting it dangle inside my shirt) instead of mounting it to the HMD. The Heli Hell demo does it that way and it works very well.
We could, but its a completely different experience. Your torso determines your "walking" direction, with your head and bob andn weave around. We'll look into it, it isn't hard. I just wouldn't expect it to be as immersive. Ideally, we'd have sensors everywhere ;)
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

CyberVillain (FreePIE Author) is working on Hydra Emualtion in FreePIE but needs someone with a hydra to run a simple program to grab some log files (http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=120&t=18279) Since I guess a few guys in here have the hydras is there any chance someone could do this for him?

My hope is if he gets the hydra emulation working then that would solve the DIY Rift/Minecraft problem without having to make any changes to minecrift.

If he can get all this working it would prob allow us to use a 9DOF tracker for head movement and then a Wiimote or something as the second hydra controller.

Matt.
Last edited by Croccy22 on Sat Jul 20, 2013 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Croccy22
Cross Eyed!

Post by Croccy22 »

One other thing I came across which I don't know if it would be of any use.

Looks like someone wrote a TrackIR Java library quite a while ago. Not sure how easy it would be to integrate into Minecrift but again since TrackIR is supported by FreePIE it would open up support for all the other trackers.

https://weblogs.java.net/blog/herkules/ ... nging.html.

So far with all my experiences, the TrackIR supported stuff seems to be the simplest to set up.

Matt.

PS. I have just downloaded the guys sample Java app and the jtrackir.dll file. A ran up freepie with a TrackIR script and the Java app reports the trackIT is connected and read all the inputs perfectly. This does actually look like it would be pretty simple to add to minecrift but my Java knowledge just isn't good enough to do this yet (Just started reading my Java programming book again :P).

The Java code just has some simple mehods getRoll, getPitch, getYaw, getX, getY and getZ. This would also give people the option of using positional tracking through FreePIE too :)
CaptnYesterday
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by CaptnYesterday »

First time Minecrafter and first time downloading / using Minecrift.

Procedure:
Am I missing anything? Here is what I did from start to finish:

1. Bought Minecraft (1.6.2 at the time of purchase)
2. Went to Java and downloaded and installed 64 bit version (I have Windows 7 64bit)
3. Ran Minecraft once to ensure that everything worked.
4. Downloaded and ran "minecrift-1.6.2-b73-installer.exe" (I know that b74 is up there now but did not know what the diff was).
5. Ran minecraft and selected the minecrift profile. Clicked 'Play".
6. As directed by VirtuosRifter, I changed Device Calibration In the VR options 'At Startup' to 'Skip'. (I had to do this as it was always trying to calibrate the Hydra I don't own)

Done! I can't believe how easy it was to change the IPD (and import my Oculus Calibration Profile). These menus are the best and I love how it defaults to the VR menu. Please do not change that!!!

Questions:
-I did NOT install magic launcher or optifine. Is optifine already part of this version of Minecrift? If not should I install and how?
-Surprised by the apparent requirements of the game (I have a ATI 7970, 16 GB ram, Phenom II X4 955 BE 3.2GHz) and it chugged when playing with some settings.
-I did not see FOV or Resolution (I know this game is a bit different). Do you guys have recommended settings?
-Where is the minecrift read me?
-In Windows, I setup the monitors like this: Extended w/Rift as main (my monitor is 1680x1050 so i never 'duplicate' displays unless running 1280x800 across both which is not optimal as all demos have looked mush better when scaling down to this from 1920x1200).
-I have been running MineCrift when the rift display was set to 1920x1200 on the desktop. I did not see Minecraft ever ask for a resolution so I do not know if it scaled down from 1920x1200 or if it just opened in 1280x800. Any ideas here?

Impressions and Verdict :
This is phenomenal. The in-game menus and the UI are even better than I thought and I was already guessing it would be great. The scale, warping, lack of eyestrain, and these ease of 'patching' is the best I have seen so far, and the OPTIONS for VR in the menu... all staggering. Even on the DK, I will play this game and I never meant to do anything other than Demo, test and small time unity development.
I think (and i say this cautiously) you guys may have one of the VR 'Killer Apps' on your hands here. :o just wow. Get ready for alot of attention.

Finally, I love testing things more than playing. Can I help with anything?
Testing with: ATI 7970, 8GB 1600 ram, Core i7 4770K 3.5Ghz, Windows 7 Ultimate x64, Java 7 x64. For science... you monster.

Return to “Minecrift”