OculusCon 2013. --> "ConVRge"

kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: OculusCon 2013. --> "ConVRge"

Post by kalabalik »

Will whip out a number of designs tomorrow as it's in the middle of the night here in Sweden, but as I work as a freelance designer this would be an excellent opportunity to help out with some ideas! :)

I already got a few fonts saved for a project like this to come along, so I can finally put them to good use..!

:D
Diorama
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Diorama »

Awesome, kalabalik!

Can't wait to see what you come up with! :D
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Drewbdoo wrote:Damn you West Coasters! I've got friends and work in L.A. - perhaps the universe is telling me to move away from Charlotte. Oh wait, it's been doing that for 29 years...

West coast gets the last word, but they are also the last to know.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

And will probably get our dev kits first.

SORRY THAT WAS MEAN
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Pingles wrote:And will probably get our dev kits first.

SORRY THAT WAS MEAN
Yeah, but you stuck the knife in, in the nicest way... :P

Almost sodium free ;)
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
drifter

Post by drifter »

old school gaming font
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Drewbdoo

Post by Drewbdoo »

Pingles wrote:And will probably get our dev kits first.

SORRY THAT WAS MEAN
Haha, joke's on you, I am a preorder, not a kickstarter, so everyone will have theirs before me, regardless of coast. I've already accepted my fate and console myself with the promise of more stuff to do with my rift by the time I get it than you, so sticks and stones, pingles, sticks and stones. :lol:
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Right, I've worked on a concept for the logo; but will probably continue working with a few more concepts later on.

First thing I was inspired by was the XYZ axis so that was the main theme for this first draft; and I just drew an early version for reference:
Convrge-logo-idea.png
And after that I put on some sweet tunes from a friend of mine for inspiration (I made his CD artwork as well ;) ):
http://open.spotify.com/track/2PNflGFIHUKHSMltX88YIM

These variations is based on the arrows and shapes from these XYZ axis to see if I could grow a proper symbol from the base idea:
Convrge-logo-concepts.png

As I want to stray away from the nineties' bulky and shoddy design language I went for the muted colour variation with some fluid gradient flows. An initial idea I had was also to go for some kind of "guiding star" concept and also wanted it to be some kind of badge...
So I felt I had something going with one of these mockups that form a background triangle that pronounce the initial axis; while also conforming to the overall shape of a star.

The tonality for the logo had to be fresh, light and modern to push the idea that the VR of today is not at all bulky or cumbersome.

So yeah a slim, sharp font with a technological breath was key here to balance the symbol; and to drive home the name Convrge I added a sub header with "conference for the virtual reality generation" to avoid any misinterpretations.

So...here is my first proof of concept:
Convrge-logo-proof_1.png
With a sideways variation for those times when the vertical space is narrow:
Convrge-logo-proof_2.png

And just for the hell of it I chose to add a version with a bit more visibility from afar; even if I don't really think it's as fresh:
Convrge-logo-proof_bold.png

So yeah there is my first idea; please tell me what you think of it!

Another line I'm going to explore is the idea of transparent grid boxes overlapping each other, or perhaps a swirling iris in an eye; or why not a rotation based bunch of circles like the "machine" from Lawnmower Man.

Any ideas are welcome!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

I don't mind the six point scenario, as that is connected to the Expression of Phi, the golden mean, and 'as above, so below'.

edit:sorry, I'm thinking the five pointed star on Phi. (Egyptian, Ishtar, (Diana) and so on, Sumerian, etc)

The other concern is the star of David, and I'm not sure the Israeli flag should be invoked, even in the slightest. (Just some of the associations that are possible, is all) (two triangles, one up, one down, as above so below, masculine, feminine) (it's a great and meaningful symbol, full of a world of depth. But... seeing it on that flag.......no words)

I thank you for your effort, you've done a great job on this. :)
Last edited by KBK on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

I will definitely attend if at all possible.

I think the decision is made, but I want to add my support for ConVRge as the name. Definitely the best of the options I saw.

I think you should try to get the .com as well, but the .org and .net are probably good enough.

For a logo, we need something that Cayce would be afraid of. So far Diorama's mockup and GeraldT's entries look the best to me, but I think that we can do better. Maybe incorporating bits from the MTBS3D would be a good idea?

As for location, I live in Ohio. So the US wouldn't be bad for me.

And as I was prepping this post kalabalik added his logo submission. OMG that is amazing. I would darken the text a bit more for readability, but otherwise wow! Of course another design could still come along, but I'm definitely liking it.
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

KBK wrote:I don't mind the six point scenario, as that is connected to the Expression of Phi, the golden mean, and 'as above, so below'.

edit:sorry, i'm thinking the five pointed star on Phi.

The other concern is the star of David, and I'm not sure the Israeli flag should be invoked, even in the slightest. (Just some of the associations that are possible, is all)
Oh snap I didn't even think of the star of David for one second... Good point.
Will check if I could perhaps make the arrows a bit more pointy or round the background corners to avoid any religious interpretation.
Thanks for the input; really proves why more eyes are worth so much in a design project. :)

And thanks Radical for your words. :) Will get to another few revisions soon, but will have to start dinner soonish. But hey I got all night to fiddle! I feel my inspiration is flowing here!
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

the first one that is open, just the 4 sided ones, that is fine, as they break the lines into angle symmetry. Which makes it similar -but not actual.

It is hard to avoid all this as symbology goes back a good 12,000 years, on the basic shapes and their connections.

No matter what you do, someone will see something in it. We're wired that way.
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Well then, one super quick edit before I need to go for a while.
Rounded the background corners and tweaked the shape a little bit to avoid the religion - and hastily darkened the text gradients a tad.
Convrge-logo-proof_3.png
radicaledward101
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by radicaledward101 »

kalabalik wrote:
KBK wrote:The other concern is the star of David, and I'm not sure the Israeli flag should be invoked, even in the slightest. (Just some of the associations that are possible, is all)
Oh snap I didn't even think of the star of David for one second... Good point.
Will check if I could perhaps make the arrows a bit more pointy or round the background corners to avoid any religious interpretation.
What about this? I know it is only 3 directions not 6, but it still gives the 3D feel to me.
Convrge-logo-proof_3Point.png
I like it better with the thinner text:
Convrge-logo-proof_1-3Point.png
The symbol is very vaguely phallic, but this might not be a bad thing if it is subtle enough. It depends on whether we want the symbol to have a masculine persona or not.

Edit: I actually really like the curved points in kalabalik's recent post. Not sure whether I like that or my entry more.
Edit2: I also just noticed that you darkened the text a bit kalabalik. Looks good!
Edit3: And now I noticed that a version of the 3 point variation was already in the first image... I guess I didn't look at that one too closely... lol
Edit4: All these edits are what I get for posting without thinking enough.
Last edited by radicaledward101 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Diorama

Post by Diorama »

You know, it never occurred to me that ConVRge needed a symbol as well as a text logo!

Those look really great kalabalik! Feels very 'official' and real now!

radicaledward101, I like your edit with just the three prongs, hard to choose between them.

ConVRge
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

The guitar pick shape behind is nice, but it also goes back really far. Back to spear head shaping and then it went into symbology, so it is very deep as well. It will have it's problems, as an imagined declaration of origin and intent. regarding the spearhead, did man shape the tool and then the tool shaped him? This is the quandary again faced with VR. Which means it might be fitting.....

The single three sided one is difficult to label as anything, from my limited perspective and knowledge. Possibly the circle as a world, behind it. Not very clean, though.

The the cleaner a logo is, the longer lasting it is, in most cases. People can take it in..or ignore it. they can fill in their own meaning. properly done, it can be recognized anywhere.

Then, if perfected in this simplicity, it can be regionalized (added content and different added bits) for different shows in different places, and possibly updated in the future.

The other problem with the simple ones, is that they can be taken already. Copyrighted.

I did about 3-4 cycles of logo design efforts, in two separate cases.. in conjunction with a friend who is a graphic artist/teacher, and he does logo work for companies. I'm not an expert by any means... but I've gone thorough much pain working on getting these things right.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Looking good.
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

When I think about a logo for VR, the gyrowinder comes to mind

Image Image
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

That was the word I was looking for earlier :)
Will perhaps have a go at that concept too later on...
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

Kalabalik I really like your sense for color space. here is one I cooked recently. Just to try the concept that was proposed earlier. Not so much into final product...
ConVRge-axis.png
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Cromfel wrote:Kalabalik I really like your sense for color space. here is one I cooked recently. Just to try the concept that was proposed earlier. Not so much into final product...
ConVRge-axis.png
This is not the polished final version, but it is the best by far in this thread IMO. It integrates the logo element in an ingenious way into the font - I really like it!!

Polish it a bit more and I think we might have a winner here :)
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
drifter

Post by drifter »

We don't necessary need a separate symbol (or it should be integrated in the text)
and the VR letters should be emphasized

@Cromfel
nice start, maybe try to add RGB colors to your axis...
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

A separate symbol is often desirable for a number of occasions in a brand design for letterheads, stamps, distant visibility, sign posts, sub brands and much more.
And the problem with incorporating a logo symbol into a text makes it impossible to use with @fontface, SEO and word processors etc. On top of that it wrecks readability in most cases when mixing different typefaces with symbols and the like in a word.

I've been a designer by profession for fourteen years and went to a number of design schools; so I'm not really guessing here, just making conversation and tossing out my thoughts in the open. Not aiming for any toes or anything mind you. :)

I'm interested in hearing the arguments for not having a strengthening symbol in conjunction with a logotype text though, and I think it's vital to create a strong visual identity that goes in line with a modern brand to pick the interest of the industry and make something durable for years to come.

I'd love to hear more critique of my design idea on the previous page to further understand what you guys n gals think of the direction for the branding.

A brand is much more than a simple logo as we're talking about a large number of applications like letterheads, invitations, brochures, posters, large signs, expo stands etc etc, and in a lot of these cases a designer really want to have the freedom to use several different branding tools at their disposal; like the complete logo with symbol, just the text, just the symbol or just the colour identity. Just saying. :D
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

I like kalabalik's and actually GeraldT's original black/silver one. Not a huge fan of Cromfel's tbh.
Neil

Post by Neil »

There are some good ideas here to build on.

Here are some points to try and satisfy:

1. The logo should be scalable. Whether it's big or small, it should be readable.
2. Try to give it an MTBS feel. Using the 3D backing (the black 3D background) is an idea, color scheme, look, use of eyes, etc. Try to maintain a linkage of some kind so people know that even though MTBS isn't mention by name, it's definitely an MTBS community thing.

Nothing is perfect, but these are ideas to work with. Thanks for your contributions! Great stuff so far.

Regards,
Neil
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Neil wrote:There are some good ideas here to build on.

Here are some points to try and satisfy:

1. The logo should be scalable. Whether it's big or small, it should be readable.
2. Try to give it an MTBS feel. Using the 3D backing (the black 3D background) is an idea, color scheme, look, use of eyes, etc. Try to maintain a linkage of some kind so people know that even though MTBS isn't mention by name, it's definitely an MTBS community thing.

Nothing is perfect, but these are ideas to work with. Thanks for your contributions! Great stuff so far.

Regards,
Neil

I hear ya, and will definitely create a new version within these boundaries. Got a few ideas stirring and will sit down with my sketch pad tonight and toss out a concept tomorrow that breathe MTBS :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Neil wrote: 2. Try to give it an MTBS feel. Using the 3D backing (the black 3D background) is an idea, color scheme, look, use of eyes, etc. Try to maintain a linkage of some kind so people know that even though MTBS isn't mention by name, it's definitely an MTBS community thing.
It would be nice to have a high res version of the MTBS logo to work with. I think this is the most important logo to be recognized.
Neil

Post by Neil »

I will try to get the actual Photoshop files. Will this due for now?

Regards,
Neil
Neil

Post by Neil »

I just wanted to add: I know that the "VR" is getting highlighted in ConVRge, but remember that the word "immersive" is the core idea. This includes AR, VR, 3D, etc. Immersive.

So if you are trying to push imagery into the logo, try to avoid roadblocks or definitions that are too focused on one category of immersion.

Regards,
Neil
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

this should do, but having the logo in a vector format would be of help quality wise. :)

I am not good at doing art myself, I can do technical photoshopping - so I would stick to geometry or base something on the MTBS logo.
Will give it another go next time I feel like taking a break from programming :)
drifter

Post by drifter »

kalabalik wrote:A separate symbol is often desirable for a number of occasions in a brand design for letterheads, stamps, distant visibility, sign posts, sub brands and much more.
And the problem with incorporating a logo symbol into a text makes it impossible to use with @fontface, SEO and word processors etc. On top of that it wrecks readability in most cases when mixing different typefaces with symbols and the like in a word.
Why not a conVRge logo just like most of the games conventions ones :
Even if the text is a bit long, it's doable.
Maybe only the QuakeCon has a separate symbol with no text.
kalabalik wrote:I've been a designer by profession for fourteen years and went to a number of design schools
No need to justify yourself ;)
Neil

Post by Neil »

Hi Guys!

I've been hard at work on this, but the logo still isn't finalized. Can we beef up the candidates?

Regards,
Neil

Return to “Oculus VR”