New rift user - some technical queries

Falan
Cross Eyed!

New rift user - some technical queries

Post by Falan »

Hi there I broke down and ebayed a rift the other day (actually ended up with two because some numpty pulled out of a prior bid - ill be selling that at bought price later) I have a few technical type queries if anyone is kind enough to answer please.

Apart from the huge amounts of motionsickness generated since yesterday hehe I noticed when I turn my head the images, like the house in Tuscany, distort and warp a little in the view. Everything doesn't quite remain exactly in the same place and this does break a bit of the immersion.

Is this warping of objects just a natural result of using a curved optics or have I got the wrong lens, the wrong setting somewhere or what?

My eyes are fine 20/20 and the A cup is the one that it came fitted with, interestingly on my 'first impressions' post I noticed a tunnel vision effect, blurry peripheral vision, on my demo rift but this is pleasantly crystal clear all around the periphery so when I keep my head free I can scan all around the image clearly using just eye movement. I guess the demo rift had different lens' fitted although I thought there was more peripheral vision on the demo rift even than my current one fitted with A cups dialled all the way to my face (until I see the black straight boarders left and right).

Many thanks for any feedback.
Inscothen
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: New rift user - some technical queries

Post by Inscothen »

Falan wrote:...I noticed when I turn my head the images, like the house in Tuscany, distort and warp a little in the view. Everything doesn't quite remain exactly in the same place and this does break a bit of the immersion.

Is this warping of objects just a natural result of using a curved optics or have I got the wrong lens, the wrong setting somewhere or what?
Have you adjusted IPD and other settings? Is the demo running fullscreen and the Rift set to 1280x800?
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

erm I don't know what any of that even is lol

I have the rift second hand so im hoping the first guy knew what he was doing. The heli demo was set to full screen but I didn't know what resolution to run it at in the little demo menu, iv played around with a few. Its not in windowed mode though.

I don't really know what IPD to put in or even how and im unsure if there are other 'settings' I need to worry about.

Any help is appreciated, boy do I feel unwell now, not really sick but just feeling like things are dazed and generally low. :D
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

I messed around with the resolution and I think this was causing the main problems. When its set to any other resolution (either the display desktop rift side or the in-demo setting) it distorts your position in-game. When I had it set to a high resolution it pulls the camera further out of the image so when I turned my head it kind of turns from behind where my eyes were supposed to be.

Setting it to 1280 x 800 in both settings pulled the camera forward so now when I turn my viewpoint is from the centre of the turning axis if that makes sense. Ah well it probably did to everyone here all along but its a learning curve for me :)

I played around with the IPD settings in Tuscany but it really hurt my eyes, it felt like they were being wrenched all over the place outside of the 64mm settings so I left them alone.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

Falan wrote:I played around with the IPD settings in Tuscany but it really hurt my eyes, it felt like they were being wrenched all over the place outside of the 64mm settings so I left them alone.
That sounds like behavior from the first version of the SDK. Are you running the most recent 0.2.3 versions of Tuscany?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

You should run the calibration tool provided in the last SDK update (0.2.3) on the Oculus VR website to get your IPD. The world will then be rendered correctly for your particular eye configuration.

But anyway, even after doing this calibration I experience the same thing, the image is distorted when I look around without moving. I suspect it doesn't come from a wrong IPD calculation, but from a head & neck model not adapted to my body (I've got a quite long neck). Not sure though, it's only a guess at this time, I suppose I could confirm that with testing some sort of positional tracking.

If anybody can shed some light on this that would be nice.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

have you tried the B's ?
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Brantlew it is the latest version mate.

I will try the B cups and see what happens, its not a really big problem but ill try and explain whats happening.

When I look to the left the whole world shifts a tiny bit to the left, like its being drawn out in that direction. When I look up the stairs in Tuscany they appear to get slightly taller if that makes sense, like wherever I look the scenery is dragged in that direction. Only a small amount but its enough to make my stomach feel slightly off, like im a bit drunk.

ill try the B cups, I think its down to the A cups giving too perfect an image (flat image) to what should be spherical, possibly the greater curve on the B cups will change this, ill get back to you.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

LOL ok its all starting to make sense now...I listened to wifey who told me the lens' already in there were A lens'.

Which of course they were not. When I took them out to try the B lens' in there I discovered they were already B lens'. I got this second hand remember.

Sooo the reason why my eyes are nearly bleeding and the headaches yesterday was because I was trying to focus through the wrong ones. Just tried the A lens' and its great!

I still get some of that distortion when im turning though but at least im not feeling like Tony in that contact lens' episode of Men Behaving Badly.

Thanks for your help guys :)
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Falan wrote:LOL ok its all starting to make sense now...I listened to wifey who told me the lens' already in there were A lens'.

Which of course they were not. When I took them out to try the B lens' in there I discovered they were already B lens'. I got this second hand remember.

Sooo the reason why my eyes are nearly bleeding and the headaches yesterday was because I was trying to focus through the wrong ones. Just tried the A lens' and its great!

I still get some of that distortion when im turning though but at least im not feeling like Tony in that contact lens' episode of Men Behaving Badly.

Thanks for your help guys :)
Haha great news. When I got mine I thought it was pants, but the fitted lenses were smeared to hell... on the inside :-)

I think somebody in the factory may have been eating a kfc at their desk :-)
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Just out of interest does the scenery move inside your rift when you turn your head?

Does everything stay locked 100% where it is, no matter where you move your head and any speed?

The scenery in my demos seems to shift slightly when I look around, not huge amounts but just slightly in the direction I look, this creates a false feeling and pulls me out of the immersion a bit. Can anyone else shed any light on this?
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

ah soooo the side adjustment screws only adjust one side at a time...that's why everythings been out of focus on one side.. =(

Return to “Oculus VR”