Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Discussion of tools and products that add VR physicality. Samples include VR treadmills, special hand controllers, gesture technology and more.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Re: Viiwok - Virtual treadmill & reality simulator.

Post by Attreyu »

mickman wrote:Woooo.... Slow down there Tiger... Let me have time to complete my message....

Idiotic and haterish... Is way over the top. Especialyy for someone looking to start a campaign... :lol:

If you're really serious in you're endeavour to get funded I feel you really need to build up a decent amount of trust before marketing any product.. Yes? Verbal assault from someone is not a very good outcome for someone wanting to build trust in the community. These people have to be willing to lay down $ to someone they honestly feel they can trust... And an outburst like that simply gets people thinking... Woo this guy is a loose canon.

Accept the criticism... Not attack it.
You started the verbal assault. I deal perfectly with constructive criticism and I've replied each and every time to enquiries about the product. What I don't accept is slander and malevolent accusations. I'm just a guy trying to build a nice, functional product, and I need your support and suggestions (you included), not attacks and false accusations.

So please, let's keep this topic nice, clean and informative.
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mickman »

Dude... I never verbally assaulted you...

I feel your passion for your project.. awesome .... go for it ! & yes I still hope this is successful

But hey... If you take that as verbal assault, I sure wonder how you'll react to other comments aimed at the ViiWok & its business model. .. if there is one
Perhaps it was not constructive criticism... I apologise for it not being within your bounds of constructive criticism.. but I also feel the right to express how it was you launched your thread right before the Omni campaign kicked off. (not cool )

Anyways.... you're right , This is no place to go slagging off at someone who is trying to bring something constructive into the world of V.R
( which I never did in the first place )

Good luck.....
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

mickman wrote:but I also feel the right to express how it was you launched your thread right before the Omni campaign kicked off. (not cool )
See, if would have asked me why I created a thread before the Omni campaign kicked off directly, I would have answered you.

I insist it's not my intention to hurt Jan's campaign in any way. This type of threads and announcements will rise again and again. It's a niche segment of VR and new products will appear that will compete on this segment. There are folk in here and elsewhere that put out plans for DYI designs that do what the Omni does. Neith of us reinvents the wheel. Patents for omnidirectiona treadmills have been applied since 2003, by IBM.

The simmilarity ends there. Each product would have its pros and contras. Some will be lighter. Some will be cheaper. Some will be more complex and some simpler. You can't expect realistically for independent development to stop dead on its tracks. Look at the 3d printer technology.

Jan's KS is a perfect example of how someone believing in his design and despite all challenges managed to launch a product and having success. He raised so far more than 600.000 on a 150.000 goal and will probably make more than a million. Talking about setbacks due to a thread on the MTBS forums.

The Omni is an american design and there are people who suggest that the bulk of the buyers are from the US (it's not me who said it, and it won't be me who'll repeat it, I'm just observing). My product will be a european one. Probably there will be assembly and selling chains set up in all the continents (I'm talking about the Omni). What I'm trying to say is that there's no really a competition here. I don't have the resources and means to market a product like that. I'm just trying to build a concept I had and make it accesible to the public.

Hopefully I could drive my point across to you. We're talking about a prototype that's going to be launched sometime in July. Who knows if it will be successful ? It might not and that's what it is. Jan dedicated 2 years to his ideea and you don't see anyone asking him why it took so long for a prototype to be shown. I for myself understand perfectly why.
mickman

Post by mickman »

Now that's a much more informative & composed answer... thanks for that.

Perhaps we both learnt something here.... & I hope it helps you in your endeavours.

I still feel you will have an amazing product.

Good Luck
Image Image

iKy1e
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iKy1e »

The Oculus Developer forums thread is from a while ago (25th of may). I believe someone linked him here in that thread and said he should post a thread here about it too.
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

blindboxes wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:I like these projects, well done and good luck.

Although, isn't that an Omni in the video?
Watch the video carefully. See the base. It's not an Omni.
it looks like it's floating in mid air.
blindboxes
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by blindboxes »

usb247 wrote:
blindboxes wrote:
Benjimoron wrote:I like these projects, well done and good luck.

Although, isn't that an Omni in the video?
Watch the video carefully. See the base. It's not an Omni.
it looks like it's floating in mid air.
Not sure why you're quoting me but let me add. The base is not flat. That's where the Omni similarity ends. Also, there are no grooves like the omni, nor special shoes so far.

While I'm supportive of projects like these, we would really want to see a real prototype demo. It's what made me back Omni, because the prototype demo convinced the poop out of me.
JoeReMi
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeReMi »

mickman wrote:
If you're really serious in you're endeavour to get funded I feel you really need to build up a decent amount of trust before marketing any product.

Whether you agree or not Attreyu, Mickman makes a valid point. You will be questioned until and beyond the point where your product proves its worth, and you will be slagged off as well. If you are professional, you won't rise to the bait. Don't underestimate how important this is, you are much too good at fighting your corner. This is already bad publicity, and no-one has even seen your product yet. In my opinion you should offer Mickman an apology (whether you feel he deserves it or not) and if you can't rise above taunts or what you feel is harsh criticism then consider getting someone else to handle your publicity. I really hope you're successful, but there's more to business than the tech side. Learn from those who have gone before you.
Attreyu
Cross Eyed!

Post by Attreyu »

JoeReMi wrote:
mickman wrote:
If you're really serious in you're endeavour to get funded I feel you really need to build up a decent amount of trust before marketing any product.

Whether you agree or not Attreyu, Mickman makes a valid point. You will be questioned until and beyond the point where your product proves its worth, and you will be slagged off as well. If you are professional, you won't rise to the bait. Don't underestimate how important this is, you are much too good at fighting your corner. This is already bad publicity, and no-one has even seen your product yet. In my opinion you should offer Mickman an apology (whether you feel he deserves it or not) and if you can't rise above taunts or what you feel is harsh criticism then consider getting someone else to handle your publicity. I really hope you're successful, but there's more to business than the tech side. Learn from those who have gone before you.
Fair point. I mean the critiques were not about the product. They were a tangent insinuating I'm doing this to hurt Jan and that I'm not fair play to him and his product. I was just defending myself at this point. If there's anything I should post about, it should be about the product, not myself. Of course I am sorry, this is way off. On the other hand I would not prove anything by responding to taunts. It's not a fighting game, it's a technology related forum.
Mickman I'm sorry if I've offended you mate.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

blindboxes wrote: While I'm supportive of projects like these, we would really want to see a real prototype demo. It's what made me back Omni, because the prototype demo convinced the poop out of me.
I'm sure he'll show something more concrete before he asks anyone to put money into it.
mickman

Post by mickman »

No worries .... I still feel you have a great product & am really looking forward to your progress.

We're all in this for the same reason right... " The Experience "
So.... what are your plans for interfacing body movement.. i.e.. run, walk turn, crouch. You mention it won't utilise The Kinect or Razer ?

I've been reading up on GlovePie. Looks like a fairly intuitive way to map movement ... yes ?
Image Image

JoeReMi
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by JoeReMi »

You've certainly got a knack for creating curiosity... I was wondering about what you said about not needing a rift. Does that mean you don't need the rifts head tracking, or you're designing your own display?? TBH I've been checking your thread here and over at the Oculus forums every day hoping to get some new info :ugeek:
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

Looking forward to the next update
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

My project is not competing with the Virtuix Omni, it's just a better alternative.
I don't understand this statement. Isn't offering an alternative the definition of competition? Esp. if you claim it is better?
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

@Mystify
I think he was lightheartedly boasting that his solution is so much better than the Omni that it is in a different league, and thus, not in competition with it. I am not sure, however.
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Atreyu...

Miss you Image

whats happening with this?
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

You want to know what happened?

Check out his post from 4 days ago on the Spanish VR website Real o Virtual:

http://www.realovirtual.com/foro/viewto ... t=90#p1087

BTW: That was the result of playing soccer, not of using the Viiwok ;) It wasn't just a simple fracture, it involved surgery with epidural anesthesia, etc. so the recovery will be slow.
NightlHlawk
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by NightlHlawk »

Someone recently posted on the Omni Kickstarter comments saying this was going to be on a crowdfunding site soon and I was like, "Wasn't this guy just going through surgery?" :| If there's something I'm missing, please let me know. lol
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

Zoide wrote:You want to know what happened?

Check out his post from 4 days ago on the Spanish VR website Real o Virtual:

http://www.realovirtual.com/foro/viewto ... t=90#p1087

BTW: That was the result of playing soccer, not of using the Viiwok ;) It wasn't just a simple fracture, it involved surgery with epidural anesthesia, etc. so the recovery will be slow.
woah that sounds brutal, poor guy
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Ouch!!!!
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I'm the founder or realovirtual.com, and yes, our friend Attreyu had a terrible leg fracture playing soccer. I was going to meet him in person to check the Viiwok prototype (it's a 3 hours car trip from where I live) but now the meeting has been delayed.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

LordJuanlo wrote:I'm the founder or realovirtual.com, and yes, our friend Attreyu had a terrible leg fracture playing soccer. I was going to meet him in person to check the Viiwok prototype (it's a 3 hours car trip from where I live) but now the meeting has been delayed.
When can we expect to hear back from him? Even after the injury he'd said he would post a video of the Viiwok, using someone else (his wife I think) to demonstrate it.

Thanks
shent1080
Cross Eyed!

Post by shent1080 »

"I try to upload the video when I get home." is what he said, hopefully soon, i'm waiting for it too but just gotta be patient.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

http://www.realovirtual.com/foro/viewto ... &start=110
tomorrow he will try to upload an video. And next weekend perhaps a Rift Demo with Juanlo.
There's also a picture of the frame currently made of duralumino. The final version will made of plastic and only weigh 6-7 kg. It will also be foldable so that you can store it underneath your bed in its box. He has one pair of shoes with omnidirectional balls and one with tiny wheels.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

A photo of the frame is on the previous page: http://www.realovirtual.com/foro/viewto ... &start=100

A few people have pointed out that the metal rods at right angles look dangerous (easy to bang your knees against the corners). Attreyu is already aware of this and he will address it if need be.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Those mini roller skates look kind of cool:

iKy1e
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by iKy1e »

I think those forward/back wheels on the shoes might be quite good. If they rolled in every direction I imagine turning would be quite slow (as it seems to be in the Omni, I've yet to see a quick turn in one of the videos). However, if they don't slip much laterally then it can, potentially, allow you to turn faster.
However, like most people it would seem, I'm reserving judgement until I see a video.
OutatimeTV
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OutatimeTV »

He was talking about omnidirectional balls under the shoes.
But I can't see them in the picture. They look like normal small rolls.
They might also do a good job. ;)
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Be interesting to see how he controls the friction (or lack of in this case) with rollers on the shoes.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

OutatimeTV wrote:He was talking about omnidirectional balls under the shoes.
But I can't see them in the picture. They look like normal small rolls.
They might also do a good job. ;)
He made two pairs of shoes. One with wheels another with omnid. balls.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I hope he can finally upload a video of the prototype this week
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

I like the way some projects start off. First it's a delusion, then it becomes a dream, then it becomes a reality. It's gonna be fun to see the prototype. But I doubt it's going to be cheap, the amount of work being put into this, probably going to cost 1,5K dollars, still cool though.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

LordJuanlo wrote:I hope he can finally upload a video of the prototype this week
It's been 12 days. Is he alright?

Return to “Physical VR Tools”