Rampant Speculation: a tiny epic VR project?

greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Rampant Speculation: a tiny epic VR project?

Post by greenknight »

In this article, http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013- ... n-10-years

Tim mentions tiny projects in development but doesn't say much else:

"We're building a bigger, triple-A shooter project that hasn't been announced yet. And we've also internally started developing really tiny projects with two or three guys working together as a team for a few months in small scale game development.

It's really cool. We're testing our development at all scales and learning it as we go. We're trying to master development at every scale."

I found this interesting because in my totally insane mind this is a hint towards, perhaps a new unreal tournament-like shooter and perhaps internal experiments with VR.

Now someone come to the forum and swat me down like a fly, preferably an employee from Epic. They've done it before -- but that time I was right. A few months ago, I speculated on another forum that epic was going to officially support the oculus rift before it was announced by epic. And someone who claimed to be an employee replied back to me (on a different forum) that there was no such support planned. But then they did announce the support for unreal engine, so yeah, they lie to protect leaked info. Except it wasn't a leak.

:twisted:

Anyway, the article itself is kind of good read. Tim likes to speculate and so do I.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Re: Rampant Speculation: a tiny epic VR project?

Post by Jose »

I'd like to see a VR sequel to ZZT. Good times...
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

I googled zzt.

Wow. In VR? Seriously? No not seriously asking, but still, that would be something all right.
Jose
Cross Eyed!

Post by Jose »

I was joking in a sense that there will probably never be a VR ZZT ever.

However, I seriously think that a VR ZZT would be really cool. I imagine it would be visually similar to Minecraft where theres a block grid that everything sticks to. But there would also be an in-world programming language that can be used to manipulate all objects.

Rerailing thread: I agree with your original speculation that Epic's secret projects are VR related. But I can't speculate what the content of those games actually are. Probably won't be a UT game, might be a new "brand" altogether.
greenknight
Cross Eyed!

Post by greenknight »

I am a total VR virgin, so any game in stereo 3d for VR sounds awesome to me.

EA also has some internal research but that is obvious, right? Everyone is experimenting but often its employees on their own time...I think. This could be different because it may indicate a willingness to allocate some resources to VR alone, which is what we all want.

Return to “Oculus VR”