Stereoscopic Video Player supports VR920 Now supports pic

Find a good article? Got a news story to share? VR, AR, 3D...it's all good! No self promotion please.
wuhlei
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Stereoscopic Video Player supports VR920 Now supports pic

Post by wuhlei »

this is the email
Hi everbody,

VR920 support in the Stereoscopic Player is now implemented and tested on
Windows XP and Vista on NVIDIA Geforce and ATI FireGL cards.

Attached is a new patch that adds VR920 support to the current version of
the Stereoscopic Player. Replace the existing Dxr.ax with the attached file.
Future version will include VR920 support by default.

In the Stereoscopic Player, select View|Viewing Method|Software
Pageflipping. You must switch to full screen mode to see 3D, in windowed
mode, you see only 2D.

If you use the wheel on your mouse while holding the Ctrl key pressed, you
can zoom into the 3D image (in full screen mode only) and then look around
using the head tracker of the VR920. Make sure you look in the correct
direction, else you see only black. :-)

Btw., the Stereoscopic Player can also open images, e.g jpg, bmp, ..., so
you can also look around in still images. In the open dialog, set the filter
to 'all files' so that you can open image files.
First download Steroscopic movie player at http://www.3dtv.at/

Then download the patch here and extract it to the install folder

http://files.filefront.com/Dxrzip/;1156 ... einfo.html
Albert Einstein
"The true sign of intelligence is not knowledge but imagination."
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Great - Stereoscopic Player is one of the best programs in the world.
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Freke1 wrote:Great - Stereoscopic Player is one of the best programs in the world.
Not sure I agree - I paid for a license and the support hasnt been great. Also the max video playback res is 2000x500 which is somewhat restrictive if using multi-projector or monitor configurations (which a fair few people have been trying to do with this software).
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

Oh didn't know that there was those limitations :shock:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I have a licensed player from Peter Wimmer and it works great with my passive polarized rig (two lcd-projectors). Have anybody told Peter about those limitations and desire for higher res?. I'm pretty sure he'll fix it if he only knows.

cheers
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

chrisjarram wrote:
Freke1 wrote:Great - Stereoscopic Player is one of the best programs in the world.
Not sure I agree - I paid for a license and the support hasnt been great. Also the max video playback res is 2000x500 which is somewhat restrictive if using multi-projector or monitor configurations (which a fair few people have been trying to do with this software).
Im sure its np did you try to email him? its the only movie player that supports the vr920 atm on top of that I can change eyes when I open pictures now.

I just emaild him for vr920 support bam got it in a week thats freakn sweet!
Albert Einstein
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I just tried it and it works well. I watched a few minutes of an S-3D movie on DVD.

I don't need to use the headtracking feature but I gave it a try. It works but it's unusable. There's too much noise in the position readings and the view jumps around all the time. It needs some smoothing to be added (at the expense of adding some latency).

On a side note, I haven't used my VR920 for months. This reminded me why while watching the beginning of the movie. If I show the same picture on both eyes, the two displays don't show exactly the same picture. It's like the left eye has a lower bit depth than the right eye. It also looks like there is dithering added in the left eye. This problem is very noticeable when there are color gradients. Since there are color gradients in about everything, I see the problem all the time. The worse is that it only hapopens in one eye so it's disturbing to look at. I just hope it can be fixed in software by another firmware upgrade.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

[quote="Tril"]I just tried it and it works well. I watched a few minutes of an S-3D movie on DVD.

I don't need to use the headtracking feature but I gave it a try. It works but it's unusable. There's too much noise in the position readings and the view jumps around all the time. It needs some smoothing to be added (at the expense of adding some latency).

On a side note, I haven't used my VR920 for months. This reminded me why while watching the beginning of the movie. If I show the same picture on both eyes, the two displays don't show exactly the same picture. It's like the left eye has a lower bit depth than the right eye. It also looks like there is dithering added in the left eye. This problem is very noticeable when there are color gradients. Since there are color gradients in about everything, I see the problem all the time. The worse is that it only hapopens in one eye so it's on some computers the head tracking perfect and I dont think I could stand any head tracking lag.

My brother noticed the left eye was a little darker too I couldnt see it.
Albert Einstein
Damian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damian »

Tril wrote:If I show the same picture on both eyes, the two displays don't show exactly the same picture. It's like the left eye has a lower bit depth than the right eye. It also looks like there is dithering added in the left eye. This problem is very noticeable when there are color gradients.
wuhlei wrote: My brother noticed the left eye was a little darker too I couldnt see it.
When I read these two things, I thought to myself... That couldn't possibly be the nature of the design. Such problems like that, surely your units must have some fault...

But my VR920 arrived and I played with it for a moment, there is no question what is there: The left screen is very sharp and clear, the right screen looks kind of... lower resolution, or fuzzy, or something. What ever it is, it is no where near as crisp and clear as the left. Also in the right there is a problem with color; I was looking at my desktop which is dominated by orangely yellowy colors, and to me, from the left side of the screen there was a problem with the color... It looked desaturated, or even a dark-bluish color, strongest on the left but returning to normal the more to the right accross the screen. On the far right it's the color it should be. On the far left, it definitely isn't.
Also, it does look a few levels darker than the left screen.

And if we all have these types of symptoms in our VR920s, perhaps it isn't a manufacturing fault... Perhaps they are designed like this. I find that difficult to comprehend how a company could do that.
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I don't want to hijack this thread but I thought I should mention something. I posted about the problem I mentioned here with my VR920 on the Vuzix forum (here). I contacted Vuzix customer support about my problem and gave them the link to the thread. They said something was definitely wrong and they issued a RMA. I sent my VR920 today for repair. The customer support is good (they always replied to me in no more than a day) but what's frustrating is that I end up paying for the shipping. We'll see what happens. Maybe they'll give me another VR920 and I'll be lucky enough to get one that has tracking that works better.

Damian, you could try to take picture of both screens while displaying something that shows the problem you are experiencing and then send an email to the tech support of Vuzix with the pictures attached. They'll tell you if it's normal or if it's a defective unit. It's a bit hard to take good pictures but it's possible to make some that are not too bad.

Xerion

Post by Xerion »

I wonder if not one screen is darker or fuzzier, but rather whether one lens is not straight in front of one eye. The distance between the focal points of the lenses is not adjustable and is never correct for the distance between your own eyes. When putting on the glasses you try to put them on in the way it looks best, which is probably with the lens for your dominant eye right in front of that eye, which makes your other eye look through the other lens at an angle and thus diminishing image quality. Is this at all a possibility or am I just thinking BS?
Current Rig: Intel i7 920 @ 4.0GHz, 6 GB ram, Geforce GTX670 -> Nvidia 3D Vision on LG 47LM615S (interlaced, spoofing Zalman EDID) + Oculus Rift
Control Peripherals: Novint Falcon, Razer Hydra, P5 Glove, XBOX 360 Controller, Wiimote, Saitek X52 Pro (flight control system), Logitech G27 (racing wheel), Logitech G15 (keyboard), Razer Naga Molten Edition (mouse)
Damian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Damian »

Actually Xerion, that was one of the first things that occurred to me when I started thinking about it... Unfortunately I have had computer problems which I've had to fix so I hadn't had time to play with it.

First I tried taking pictures of the screens... And that is... So difficult! How did you get such good pictures Tril!?

So anyway I did get some pictures in the end but well, they weren't very useful. I had so much difficulty holding the camera wedged between the glasses, and then trying to align it to the lenses, getting it at the right angle, the right distance forward or backward, and the right height... The end pictures both had a lot of distortion and were blurring so it was difficult to say what was going on. But I was fairly sure that the problem was still there on the right screen.

But then I moved onto the next test, which was to put the head set on, and then apply a small amount of pressure on the left or right side so the glasses were held on a different angle. It was only a small distance but I would have expected it to effect the color differences (it effected screen distortion and angle a lot), but it looked like it had the same problem that I had noticed when I had them straight.

Not deterred, I held the glasses forward, so now it was only held in place by my hand. Now I could move the glasses as far as I liked left or right, and to my surprise; If I move the glasses to the left a long way (right before the screens are no longer in front of my eyes), the screens are suddenly clearer than I have ever seen them, and all the distortion and color problems are gone!

So it turns out it does seem to be optics and not the screens themselves as I had originally suggested... Although I don't really feel that leaves me in a better position. Optics are fairly precisely made parts, because they are so crucial. I can't imagine optic defects where the optical shape is so off-center that I have to look at it from WAY off center. I mean where I was holding them was with the right metal bar which normally holds the glasses on the nose, right in the center of my nose!

And I don't have eye-problems, my eyes are both more or less the same distance apart, my nose is straight and in the center of both my eyes!

So I don't know what to do... I don't particularly want to send them back (which is expensive, time consuming, etc) just to be told they are normal. But I can't see how they could be normal when I think my critical viewing physiology is all fairly normal.

There has to be a problem somewhere? :roll:
wuhlei

Post by wuhlei »

my brother said that he could only see it if he looks for it.
Albert Einstein
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I had the same problem as Damian. When it's sitting perfectly centered on my nose, it's not centered perfectly with my two eyes. I have to slightly push on one side of the HMD to line it up properly. My guess was that my nose might be not perfectly centered between my eyes (an unnoticeable amount) or the HMD was not made perfectly symmetric.

That's the price you have to pay for a product that does not have intraocular adjustment. If we could separately adjust the horizontal position of each eye, you could adjust the optics to be straight in front of each eye. A special nosepiece with horizontal adjustment could also do the trick (add some tape to one side for a quick temporary fix maybe). It would not place the optics of the two eyes perfectly in front of each eye if you don't have the same intraocular distance as the one designed in the product but it would at least allow you to place the optics at the same distance from each eye, giving you the same brightness in each eye.

To take good pictures, I placed the HMD on a pile of CD cases, I placed the camera on the table and I took pictures using the timer. That way the HMD and the camera do not move while taking pictures. I also chose the highest size of pictures my camera can take and I scaled it down in software afterwards (not sure if it changes anything).

istoy
One Eyed Hopeful

product key

Post by istoy »

what is the product key of stereoscopic player 1.3.4?
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Re: product key

Post by Tril »

istoy wrote:what is the product key of stereoscopic player 1.3.4?
You need to buy it to get one.

Return to “User Contributed Immersive Technology News & Announcements”