Can anyone validate this expirence?

Vamplifire
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Can anyone validate this expirence?

Post by Vamplifire »

Hello,

has anyone else tried this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAfsejvCDrY
My mother is dying of pancreatic cancer and she would love to be by the beach when she goes. If this is a experience that is great as this user makes it sound? When i get my rift I would love to make this her wish. (rather than a hospital bed). Can other people try this? I just want more opinions?
Last edited by Vamplifire on Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can anyone validate this expirence?

Post by Chard »

It's a wonderful narrative, a beautiful game and a gorgeous atmosphere BUT it's a Ghost Story about love, loss and mental illness. It's up to you whether you feel this is an appropriate topic for your mother at this time.

Playing through this game is something you should do at least once in your life. The first beach is very dark and mysterious, there are much better beaches later in the game, draped in layers and layers of metaphor and stunning lighting effects. Leaving with this story could be a very poignant moment.

You'll probably need to solve the shadow crawl effect to have the best experience, hopefully someone in the community with more knowledge can help you with this.

The game is about 2 hours long, costs about £10 and has no shooting, no puzzles. You simply walk, listen and observe.
The developers knocked this game out of the park, They did so much within the limitations of the source engine that even valve hasn't be able to match yet.

I took a lot of screenshots while playing this game, take a look through this gallery and see what you think.
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Chard6/scr ... =imagewall
Last edited by Chard on Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Thanks but i doubt she'll want to get passed the beach.
Chard
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Chard »

Just played through the beach section again. It's a perfect representation of a British beach in the winter. Beautiful sunset, brisk wind, lapping waves. Your mum would love it. I used a desk fan blowing gently in my face when playing it too. Very immersive.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Chard wrote:Just played through the beach section again. It's a perfect representation of a British beach in the winter. Beautiful sunset, brisk wind, lapping waves. Your mum would love it. I used a desk fan blowing gently in my face when playing it too. Very immersive.
Thanks a bunch! From the looks of it British winters are not too far from Oregon winters. Appreciated!

or Cheers ;)
Kazioo
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kazioo »

mgood
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by mgood »

Even in 2D, Dear Esther is visually amazing. You can simply run it through yourself first and trigger all the auto-narrative beforehand (I don't think it repeats within the same playthrough).

There are a few candles and chemical diagrams here and there, but she may not notice, or care, and if she does, you can offer to start her off from the beginning and experience the full thing herself. :)
yomer
Cross Eyed!

Post by yomer »

You should get in contact with the OP onthis thread, to ask how far he took his beach project. Ask him, if he could make you a compiled binary with Rift support. I don't know him, I just read your post and did a quick search for beach scenes in UDK.
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Well, My mom has passed. Thanks to customs my mom will never get the chance to experience VR or sit on a beach. Though with this I know what I'm developing when I get my rift. Thanks guys for the help.
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Sorry for your loss. Hopefully she can inspire you to create something magnificent. :(
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

Urgh horrible to hear that Vamplifire, had really good news today and now really bad news, really sorry to hear that mate. :(
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Falan wrote:Urgh horrible to hear that Vamplifire, had really good news today and now really bad news, really sorry to hear that mate. :(
Thanks Falan, How bout you cheer me up with your good news ;)
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Pingles wrote:Sorry for your loss. Hopefully she can inspire you to create something magnificent. :(
My idea will hopefully help people in discomfort during times like this. Also will help people dealing with ailments such as cancer or any other bed ridden illness.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

i'll pm you im not sure if it can be discussed public at the moment ok :)
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I offer my condolences.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

Sorry to hear about your mum Vamplifire :(
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

Thanks cyber and Earp.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Hi,

At the risk of sounding insensitive at this time... could you not take her to a beach?

After a brief struggle with C , my mom found she only had a few days at best, the hospital let her out and (along with help from Marie Currie) she spent her last hours how and where she wanted...

When she was a few hours away she didn't have the strength to lift a ciggie to her lips - let alone move her head in a VR world. At this time I would have hated for her to be shrink into a solo-quest anyway. although she could barely speak, she could still communicate, and smile.

I would honestly say, take her to a beach / beach house or get in a projector. but do hold her hand.

My condolences.

Zach
SaviorNT
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by SaviorNT »

My condolences on your loss.

I think VR in general will have a huge impact with people edging towards their end of life. It is not always possible for people to go to a beach, or go somewhere that they can pass away happily in.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

My condolences Vamplifire. :(
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

A lack of time turns tragic, but then again that could serve as a general overview of what life on Earth is and has always been. My condolences, Vamplifire. I will be extremely touched if you manage to release the sort of VR experiences you missed sharing with your mother; my family has gotten a few (treatable, early stage) prognoses in the past couple of years, and it won't be terribly long before I'll be looking for exactly what your mother missed. Please keep us updated - your work will help countless others in her name.
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
rogeressig
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by rogeressig »

Best wishes to you and your family on your moms passing, thanks for sharing. It brings to light an important aspect of vr. We can all learn and be inspired by your story here, make our worlds beautiful and give people a sense of awe in their final months.
quietboy
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by quietboy »

i'm sorry for your loss. very sad news.

Return to “Oculus VR”