Curved OLEDS TV's and screens for the Oculus

squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Curved OLEDS TV's and screens for the Oculus

Post by squibbfire »

I'm sure most of you know that the consumer concept of the oculus appears to have a curved screen inside....hence the close-to-face look.

I saw this article today and I'm betting there will be talk about this down the road...if there hasn't been already.
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/lg-curved ... 05971.html
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Curved OLEDS TV's and screens for the Oculus

Post by MrGreen »

Would there be any gain to a curved screen besides the aesthetics?
Ananas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ananas »

MrGreen wrote:Would there be any gain to a curved screen besides the aesthetics?
Better FoV and less blurriness at edges of screen I think
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

better 3D effect?!
i never tried the Rift, but many people said that its ot exactly the same 3D you perceive in real life.
Randomoneh
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Randomoneh »

It would require a COMPLETE REMAKE of everything - from optics to the way game engine renders a view.
colocolo wrote:better 3D effect?!
i never tried the Rift, but many people said that its ot exactly the same 3D you perceive in real life.
LOL, no.
This member owns things.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Randomoneh wrote:It would require a COMPLETE REMAKE of everything - from optics to the way game engine renders a view.
colocolo wrote:better 3D effect?!
LOL, no.
ok, all the better.
but there is always this 'seeing is believing' statement. that would imply that the general perception is not the same you get in real life. or maybe its just me stumbling over some linguistic barriers. :lol:
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

colocolo wrote:but there is always this 'seeing is believing' statement. that would imply that the general perception is not the same you get in real life. or maybe its just me stumbling over some linguistic barriers. :lol:
"Seeing is believing" means that words fail to convey the experience, you have to try it for yourself to understand it.

As far as the benefits of a curved screen goes, its pulls the size of the device closer to your face, which means less leverage, and hence more comfort. You can also get FOV increases easier on a curved screen. The same linear size screen can cover a wider FOV
Plus style.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Mystify wrote:As far as the benefits of a curved screen goes (...) you can get FOV increases easier on a curved screen. The same linear size screen can cover a wider FOV
Plus style.
That is the most important benefit. If you're positioned in a center of a circle, width growth (of the display) is linear to HFOV growth!

But both optical system of the Rift and the way gaming engines render player's view would have to change(!)
This member owns things.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

A curved OLED screen may provide some subtle and not so subtle advantages for an Oculus Rift type display.

If the display was gently curved, the lenses could be gently splayed out so the optical axis of the lens were radial to the centre of screen curvature for optical alignment.

The lateral curvature of the screen can be better aligned with the natural curvature of field of the lenses. Since the screen field of view could generally be wider than taller, this should permit better stereo convergenge in a wide field of view format.

The other key advantage of OLED is high speed switching.

In my view, field sequential shuttering of left and right views is necessary to realise the full potential of a head mounted display. We are at the point where the current lens and screen technology is struggling to get a decent field of view in side by side display format.

A single field sequential display across both lenses would allow a wide stereoscopic overlap. This is because a side-by-side stereo display is geometrically constrained by the necessary proximity of the screen, lenses and eyes. A field sequential display can give the needed design flexibility to allow a wide stereo field of view at high quality. It probably won't be as compact or light as the current Oculus Rift, but it would look very good.

Thanks.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

budda wrote:Thanks.
You're... welcome... :|
squibbfire
Certif-Eyed!

Post by squibbfire »

Maybe this would eliminate the "looking through a tube" effect that some reviewers have talked about.
Rift Demos
Total List of Demos
Enter the Rift http://www.entertherift.fr/gamecenter/f ... ?langue=en
Official Oculus Shared Demos https://share.oculusvr.com/
GUNGRAVE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by GUNGRAVE »

how would the optics work are much bigger and expensive lenses needed?
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

GUNGRAVE wrote:how would the optics work are much bigger and expensive lenses needed?
Different lenses are almost certainly needed, but that's going to happen anyway.
This member owns things.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

MrGreen wrote:Would there be any gain to a curved screen besides the aesthetics?
The change would be quite massive.

Walk up to any empty wall in the house and stick your nose to it. Regardless of how big the wall is, it won't cover your entire field of view horisontally even if you just look straight ahead. If you look to the sides, it's even worse.

So even if the Rift had a 10 meter wide screen it wouldn't be enough to cover the horisontal fov of the eyes. However, pretty much any sized curved screen could accomplish that with ease.
Last edited by Paladia on Fri May 03, 2013 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi,

A wide field-of-view curved screen will require wide field-of-view curved lenses.

The lenses fitted to the current Oculus Rift are not of this type.

A lens cannot bend light around the sides if there are no sides to bend it around. ;)

A meniscus lens, or 'bug-eye' type lens may have more promise in this realm.

Some curvature of the screen will be helpful as the angular magnification of the relatively 'thin' lens may not be sufficient to pull the screen view further outward around the peripheral field of vision.

Thanks.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

Dear Budda, your posts are always so insightful but why do you need to begin them all with "Hi" and end them with "Thanks"? :lol:
budda
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by budda »

Hi MrGreen,

I like to say Hi and Thanks. I think its style, good manners and gratitude.

It can appear dorky, but thats me.

If they had a waving hand icon, and a man bowing icon then I would put those at the front and end of my posts. ha. :lol:

Anyway, back on topic.

Thanks MrGreen. :)
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

You're welcome! ;)
Last edited by MrGreen on Fri May 03, 2013 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
3trip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3trip »

Why bother curving the screen just one direction? Wouldn't a lense shaped screen that fully encompasses the eye be better?
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

3trip wrote:Why bother curving the screen just one direction? Wouldn't a lense shaped screen that fully encompasses the eye be better?
Spherical displays are:
  • much harder to produce
  • impossible to manipulate (you can bend the other one as you like, not this one)
This member owns things.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

3trip wrote:Why bother curving the screen just one direction? Wouldn't a lense shaped screen that fully encompasses the eye be better?
Possibly but there is little need so it would be way down on the priority list. Even a small flat screen will be able to cover the human eye FOV vertically.
Randomoneh

Post by Randomoneh »

Paladia wrote:
Even a small flat screen will be able to cover the human eye FOV vertically.
Not true.
This member owns things.
Paladia
Cross Eyed!

Post by Paladia »

Randomoneh wrote:
Paladia wrote:
Even a small flat screen will be able to cover the human eye FOV vertically.
Not true.
Glasses like these almost cover the human FOV both vertically and horisontally (they could use a small upgrade vertically). However, if the glasses are just bent vertically, they'd have to be infinitely large to cover the horisontal FOV.
3dpmaster
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dpmaster »

.. and what about two mini projector-projected curved screens with a couple of readers glasses?
Full immersive research:

HMD:
SONY HMZ-T1
FOV: 40° diagonal

HMD project:
FOV: >180°

Link: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14332
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

3dpmaster wrote:.. and what about two mini projector-projected curved screens with a couple of readers glasses?
You can check EPSON MOVERIO BT100
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/ ... rio-bt-100

thats HMD made by EPSON though i think those were failed for god knows what reason, one may be their closed eco system of course they were not economical either (*i wont say cheap as it goes diffrenent meaning) review also says why they sucks but i think good workaround can be found here. some one else should try to remake them with better prototype.
Paladia wrote:
The change would be quite massive.

Walk up to any empty wall in the house and stick your nose to it. Regardless of how big the wall is, it won't cover your entire field of view horisontally even if you just look straight ahead. If you look to the sides, it's even worse.

So even if the Rift had a 10 meter wide screen it wouldn't be enough to cover the horisontal fov of the eyes. However, pretty much any sized curved screen could accomplish that with ease.
Paladia totally agree with you i strongly recommend use of curved LED or OLED screens as soon as available as they are essential for 180 Digree horizontal FOV which is where MATRIX kind of VR is.. ofcourse you can use Less Powered Optics and only slight curve in display. i like if any one has more knowledge in enlighting me why it cant be done

I think then RIFT will Actully look like that sleek sexy one visor
from startrak which seems to be housing curved screen only
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3dpmaster
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dpmaster »

Dilip wrote:
You can check EPSON MOVERIO BT100
http://www.expertreviews.co.uk/gadgets/ ... rio-bt-100
I tried this HMD in a computershop, not that impressive but a good gadget. The price is too high and they don't offer IPD, tracker and focal adjuster..
:(
Full immersive research:

HMD:
SONY HMZ-T1
FOV: 40° diagonal

HMD project:
FOV: >180°

Link: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=14332

Return to “Oculus VR”