Any way to increase the default head track sensitivity?

wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

Any way to increase the default head track sensitivity?

Post by wolf5 »

I have tried various demos + games and the default head tracking seems/feels to low. Looking side to side is not 1 to 1 with real life. It feels like half of it.

Anyone know of a way to increase the default, or is this a per game/app setting?

If so, do anyone know how to fix it for Half Life 2 / Team Fortress 2?
Bishop51
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Any way to increase the default head track sensitivity?

Post by Bishop51 »

It should be perceptively very close to 1:1. If you're seeing that kind of gross degradation in tracking it could be your system hardware. What are you PC specs?
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

It sure is 1:1 here.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I agree with Wolf5, on a few games I notice the 1:1 tracking seems slower than it should be. Other games, I'd simply like to increase the sensitivity to improve gameplay. For example, I don't really want to turn 180 degrees to check my 6 in War Thunder - i'd rather turn about 120 degrees to do this.

A sensitivity setting in the Oculus drivers would be really good.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

When I first put on my Rift and fired up Half Life 2, I had the same feeling as the OP. So I took off my rift and tried to do the same movements with my head and it sure was the same amount of view displacement as it was in the game. So I found I was expecting super human change of perspective my moving my head, probably because when moving with the mouse that's what you are used to.

For your question though, if you have a Razer Hydra and games that support head tracking by it, you can place the Hydra in such a way it exaggerates your movements in one or more axes.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I have to admit, that whenever i've taken off the HMD when playing the few games where head tracking feels slow, that the orientation is correct for 1:1. That means I suspect there are other factors involved, such as the 3D setup of the game etc.

That said, I still would really like variable sensitivity. I turned up the acceleration in L4D last year and found it improved gameplay etc.

Its probably one of those things where we can improve on reality for some applications.
wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolf5 »

Hmmm. I might just be how I perceive it then. Will have to verify it.

In Minecraft there is a sensitivity setting which was nice. Felt more natural when I increased it.

My system specs are in the "upper class": i7-3930k on a ASUS P9X79, Radeon HD 7930, 16GB RAM, running Windows 8.
yoshithedog
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yoshithedog »

I had the same feeling in some games, and I think it's because of Rift's limited field of view and maybe wrong FoV setting in-game (not matching the Rift's fov). Your brain simply expects to see more after turning your head. Incorrect IPD setting may also amplify this.
TheHolyChicken
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by TheHolyChicken »

Do a test!
Stand orientated facing exactly towards an IRL visual landmark, put on the Rift, and turn 360° in the game. Take the Rift off again and see where you're facing IRL.

I have found that I do feel like I need to exaggerate my head movements compared to what I do normally IRL.... [speculation] I think perhaps this might be due to the more restrictive FOV, or the lens blurring when not looking directly forwards, which would lead me to do more head movement (and less eye movement) than I would normally?
Sometimes I sits and thinks, and sometimes I just sits.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

wolf5 wrote:I have tried various demos + games and the default head tracking seems/feels to low. Looking side to side is not 1 to 1 with real life. It feels like half of it.

Anyone know of a way to increase the default, or is this a per game/app setting?

If so, do anyone know how to fix it for Half Life 2 / Team Fortress 2?
There's not supposed to be any such thing as head tracking sensitivity. It should always be 1:1.
Yaw is mostly handled by the gyros, so it's theoretically possible they aren't calibrated correctly. But the factory calibration should be pretty good.

You don't need to go by "feel". Turn 90 or 180 degrees in the game and take off your Rift to see if it matches real life.

Is there a specific game that isn't correct?
wolf5
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wolf5 »

Did the 360 degree turn check. It matches real life. So it has to be how I perceive turning in Half Life 2.

Might be as TheHolyChicken speculates. Feeling the need to exaggerate the head movements becuase of FOV and/or the blurring in the lens when looking to the sides.
MrGreen
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by MrGreen »

WiredEarp wrote:I'd simply like to increase the sensitivity to improve gameplay. For example, I don't really want to turn 180 degrees to check my 6 in War Thunder - i'd rather turn about 120 degrees to do this.
HERESY!!!

Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

MrGreen wrote:
WiredEarp wrote:I'd simply like to increase the sensitivity to improve gameplay. For example, I don't really want to turn 180 degrees to check my 6 in War Thunder - i'd rather turn about 120 degrees to do this.
HERESY!!!

Superhuman movement was exactly what I was expecting when I first tried my Rift. Of course I did not know I expected this, but I thought 1:1 movement was felt like 1:0.66 but I got used to it pretty quick when I did some real world testing :P Just to make sure. Of course when we get positional tracking, we can move our whole body around and it will feel more natural and not a road to puketown.

Return to “Oculus VR”