Still deciding: ST1080, Rift, Wrap1200, HMZ-T2, Cinemizer?

Shutter glasses and custom polarized! Talk about them here.
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Still deciding: ST1080, Rift, Wrap1200, HMZ-T2, Cinemizer?

Post by RejutkaLupex »

After all this time I still didn't bring myself to spend the money for new video/3d glasses.

Since those I'm currently using are failing me, I might finally do it - only to hesitate yet again...

I think the names in the title are the currently existing devices that are of interest. Although at least two of them aren't available right now - the Rift isn't done yet (and to be honest, I doubt it'll be before next year - impressive things usually require an equally impressive amount of work and time), and the ST1080 seems to be in limbo. (Last I know is they wanted to be able to give some news around the end of spring.)

Leaving the HMZ-T2, the Wrap 1200, and the Zeiss Cinemizer Oled.

The HMZ is too expensive and made by sony - so I don't really want to buy it. (Call it a grudge against sony - I try not to buy from them.)

The wrap is IMO ugly as hell, and I'm not sure how good the specs compare to the others. Not having HDMI is quite of a big deal to me.

Leaving the Cinemizer - a device I've so far mostly ignored, which may have been a mistake. It offers HDMI input, which is quite nice.

Right now, I think I would buy the Cinemizer - as I don't want to wait for either the Rift or the ST1080.
From what I read, one of the downsides of the Cinemizer is that it doesn't block the entire view - I don't think that'll be a problem to me, the glasses I currently use don't block it all either, I got used to it after a while.

Opinions?
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Still deciding: ST1080, Rift, Wrap1200, HMZ-T2, Cinemize

Post by WiredEarp »

If you want video glasses, the Cinemizer is probably ok, and I hear the HMZ is really good for this role (if you can get past the discomfort/mod it).

If you want VR, the Rift is all that is out there really.
Ryuuken24
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ryuuken24 »

RejutkaLupex wrote:After all this time I still didn't bring myself to spend the money for new video/3d glasses.

Since those I'm currently using are failing me, I might finally do it - only to hesitate yet again...

I think the names in the title are the currently existing devices that are of interest. Although at least two of them aren't available right now - the Rift isn't done yet (and to be honest, I doubt it'll be before next year - impressive things usually require an equally impressive amount of work and time), and the ST1080 seems to be in limbo. (Last I know is they wanted to be able to give some news around the end of spring.)

Leaving the HMZ-T2, the Wrap 1200, and the Zeiss Cinemizer Oled.

The HMZ is too expensive and made by sony - so I don't really want to buy it. (Call it a grudge against sony - I try not to buy from them.)

The wrap is IMO ugly as hell, and I'm not sure how good the specs compare to the others. Not having HDMI is quite of a big deal to me.

Leaving the Cinemizer - a device I've so far mostly ignored, which may have been a mistake. It offers HDMI input, which is quite nice.

Right now, I think I would buy the Cinemizer - as I don't want to wait for either the Rift or the ST1080.
From what I read, one of the downsides of the Cinemizer is that it doesn't block the entire view - I don't think that'll be a problem to me, the glasses I currently use don't block it all either, I got used to it after a while.

Opinions?

I would skip the Wrap 1200, no matter what it costs it's not worth it, well, if it does happen to cost 10 dollars then yes, the quality is awful, google for reviews, I own one of their glasses, the vr920, and I still regret the purchase to this day. I REALLY recommend the ST1080, since it's fullHD, but I don't really know how it compares to the HMZ-T1. I own the T1 model, yes, it does weigh quite a bit, but I found a company located in Japan that makes forehead pads, it really helps, I can use it for hours. The hmz is awesome, the size of the screen is immense, the 3D is gorgeous, it's also great for games on the ps3, games I played using it, Journey, Dark Souls, Demon souls and Gran turismo 5, the immersion of wearing the glasses is really something else, the quality of the image is superb. If you can find a used one for less money, jump on it.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

The Rift is great if you want VR and you are a developer.

Tried the ST1080, and it was decent, but it doesn't matter since you can't find them anymore.

Vuzix Wrap 1200 is not a good choice if you ask me. Granted, it might have some uses, but the picture quality is too low for me.

I got to try the Cinemizer OLED and it actually surprised me. Granted the FOV was nowhere near the Rift, but it still looked OK. Especially for the relatively low resolution (it's like 870x500 or something). The optics were nice, though, and I was able to use it without my glasses and have a clear image. It did kind of feel like it was falling off my face. It really could have used a strap or something.

However, the Sony HMZ still has the best resolution (aside from the ST1080) and probably the best picture quality out of the bunch. The FOV is also wider than most other options (barring the Rift of course) and compatibility is very good over HDMI 1.4a. The downside is that it's expensive and uncomfortable (though the T2 model should be marginally improved).

Really depends what you want.
RejutkaLupex
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RejutkaLupex »

Well, I finally decided - for the Cinemizer.
I think it suits me best, at least until the Rift is available (as consumer version).

I'd have preferred the ST1080, but the company seems to be dead - at least I didn't get any reply to a mail I sent last week.
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by WiredEarp »

I do feel really sorry for the ST1080 guys. They produced a decent enough product, and seemed to have their act together, but they lost out simply because they didn't realise that VR is a potentially much bigger market than 'video glasses'.

The low FOV killed their product IMHO.

Return to “3D Glasses”