DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pics!

wileythecoyote
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: DIY Oculus Rift - schematics, instructions and build pic

Post by wileythecoyote »

Hi! Has anyone got a hold of a spec sheet for the new sharp aquos pad panel? (sh-08e was the model - i think and it's a subsidized device by docomo.jp)
When the panel emerges on ebay or similar , I'd be more than interested to modify my rift to house that screen.
I should be the same size physically as it is 7" and also 16:10 aspect ratio.
Then it should be as "easy" as making new cabling and ordering the right control boards/adapters.

By the way, is it possible to use single link dvi at 1920x1200@60 hz?
zacherynuk
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by zacherynuk »

[quote="wileythecoyote"

By the way, is it possible to use single link dvi at 1920x1200@60 hz?[/quote]

WUXGA (1,920 × 1,200) @ 60 Hz with CVT-RB blanking (154 MHz)

Absolute limit - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Digital_Visual_Interface
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

If using a 7" 1920x1200 panel, the increase in pixels visible per eye wouldn't make it that much of a HiRes Rift. You might as well just use the 5.6" panel 1280x800 panel in the DIY/prototype.

If the 7" panel is 1080p it might be too wide to fit into the Devkit. Is there room in the Devkit for an extra .2" of width?
  • If using the Rift's A cups(with normal vision and comfortable eye-to-lens distance) with the devkit you see around 230,00 pixels per eye.

on the original prototype you see around 310,000 pixels per eye. nearly 1.35x :)

with the 7" 1920x1200 you'd see around 450,000 pixels per eye. nearly 2x :D

with the 5.5" you'd see around 670,000 pixels per eye. nearly 3x :shock: :D
I think IF the 7" was cheap, easy to put into the Devkit, wire up, and getting it to work right with the Rift's controlbox, then it might be worth it.
wileythecoyote
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by wileythecoyote »

Inscothen wrote:If using a 7" 1920x1200 panel, the increase in pixels visible per eye wouldn't make it that much of a HiRes Rift. You might as well just use the 5.6" panel 1280x800 panel in the DIY/prototype.

If the 7" panel is 1080p it might be too wide to fit into the Devkit. Is there room in the Devkit for an extra .2" of width?
  • If using the Rift's A cups(with normal vision and comfortable eye-to-lens distance) with the devkit you see around 230,00 pixels per eye.

on the original prototype you see around 310,000 pixels per eye. nearly 1.35x :)

with the 7" 1920x1200 you'd see around 450,000 pixels per eye. nearly 2x :D

with the 5.5" you'd see around 670,000 pixels per eye. nearly 3x :shock: :D
I think IF the 7" was cheap, easy to put into the Devkit, wire up, and getting it to work right with the Rift's controlbox, then it might be worth it.
It's more like 2.2x times more pixels. With the 5.5" screen and devkit optics you'd unfortunately see the edges of the screen - horisontally and vertically, unless you're nearsighted and use c-cups.
Somebody modded the devkit using 5x pocket loupe lenses which were raised a bit. As a result he claimed to gain more fov, so with a simple lens mod and a new screen you'd have over 3 times the pixels as the original. That'd help ALOT!
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

You'd only see the edges of the 5.5" if you put your eyes uncomfortably close to the DevKit's lenses. Valve recommends against doing that, so most people using a consumer Rift would do the same.

Oculus chose their DevKit lenses based on the 5.6" and the top and bottom portions of that screen are wasted by not being visible. If you use 5.6" panel with the 50mm 5x lenses you'd almost see the top and bottom edges and you definitely would the see sides(probably why Carmack put tape on the sides of his prototype he showed of at E3 last year.).

Since the 5.5" panel would be wider than the 5.6" panel it should be a great match for the DevKit's lens setup as long as you don't get uncomfortably close.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

You're right about it being around 2.2 times. i was thinking about it going from 1280x800 to 1920x1080.

My numbers were just from memory.

it should be closer to:
7" DevKit: 235k(1x)
5.6" prototype: 320k screen(1.35x)
7" HD DK: 534k(2.25x)
5.5" HD DK: 720k(3x)
baggyg
Vireio Perception Developer

Post by baggyg »

Hi Guys,

I received my Rift the other day and like many people am blown away by it and the way gaming is heading. However, again like many people, am left saying if only this was a little bit better (resolution / pixel fill). I follow comments here and elsewhere regarding the various screen options. However my question regards to how many of you are intending (or already have) a tracker combined with a DIY rift. I presume the goal is to create a DIY rift that can be used with the various Rift demos (Unity / UDK / Native) being developed. How do you intend to do this without the official rift tracker (without building a Frankenrift)?

I have the Yei SS3 sensor and use that at the moment already with FreePIE and Vireio Perception / HMZ-T1. However there is no easy way that I know of to connect this to emulate the Rift tracker and hence try some of the other demos (I know I wouldn't anyway with a HMZ but just for example).

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Would love to fill the time between now and the consumer Rift with building my own DIY.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

That's a very good point, baggyg...

I'm not sure if everyone caught on to the idea of modding their DK1, 'cos that's what I was thinking of doing.
I don't think you will beat the accuracy and compatibility of the Rift headtracker any time soon (but alas, mine hasn't arrived yet. :( ).

I also haven't tried making a DIY Rift or tracker either yet, so I personally have no basis for comparison.
But, from what I've heard, the official tracker is superb and a ton of time and effort has gone into it's engineering and calibration.

When I get my Rift though, I do intend on doing some "other" experiments on the tracker. ;)

I've been meaning to try some other stuff on the Hydra too.
I didn't get very far with reversing the joystick protocol, but I intend to spend more time on it if it can improve positional tracking etc.

As for the LG panels, after thinking about what Zach said and seeing those PPI numbers, I'm convinced that the LG is a great way to go atm.

Now, what I'd normally do is just buy all the bits then figure out how to connect it all afterwards.
We know we can get hold of the Ti and Solomon chips, we just need to sort out the PCB design.

Next problem is - who would want to buy some of the LG panels (to meet the minimum order of 3) when there's no absolute guarantee that we'll get them working?

tbh, if I could buy just the one panel at $79, I would have done it by now.
I'm even tempted to buy one of those SSD2828 boards, but they're still very pricey for what they are (especially since the chips themselves are only a couple of dollars).

I fell asleep early last night, so today I want to PM WickedAndy and the guys at ROZSNYO / dp2retina about getting the board design done.

Also need to choose a backlight driver chip and a -5V gen. So many to choose from, I don't really know what's best?

OzOnE.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Ok, e-mail sent to the dp2retina guys. Let's pray. hehe

EDIT: OOOOOOH, it could be happening!!

Ten minutes before the above text, I already had an e-mail sat in my Inbox 8-) .....

"I checked datasheet for SSD2828 and LH550WF1 - I see no serious
problems with design of such adapter. Also, our IC and LCD suppliers
have both in stock.
But I have several initial questions to better understand requirements:
1. Because this adapter is a new market for us, can you please
evaluate how many pcs can be required and what can be target price for
adapter with LCD?
2. What is accepted dimensions of adapter. I'm asking because this is
mobile application and we have to evaluate which components and
packages should be used.

With best wishes,
Support Team
---
Chalkboard Electronics"

So, we need to show them that we REALLY do want many orders of the boards.

At least we can now assume that it will be properly designed and will work great, we need to basically get a "preorder" count from everyone who's interested.

Might need to get some 3D printed Rift fronts running as well, so people will be more inclined to make the easy upgrade.

Wow, I didn't read that sentence right the first time -> "Also, our IC and LCD suppliers have both in stock." !!

Need to assume that it will be HDMI to the Rift, then the board will have to fit inside the Rift.
I wish I knew how far MIPI signals can travel. Some serious Googling will be done today to find out if we can house the MIPI board in a separate box.

What sort of target price for the board (or board + panel) are people hoping for?
Please don't be too cheap now :lol: , this is a great opportunity to get 1080p MANY months before the consumer version (and it may even cost less).

OzOnE.
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
QUAKE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QUAKE »

Does anyone know what panel is used in the Nook HD 7" ? (not HD+, which is 9")

It's resolution is a bit better 1440x900, than rift's.
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Oh God, it just gets better.... Daniel Rozsnyo e-mailed me straight back. lol...

I won't post his reply until I've asked him, but let's just say that he's VERY enthusiastic about this.
He has also tried to contact Solomon in Europe as he'd like to use the same chip, but said that haven't responded so far?

That's not a problem, I'll just buy a load of chips direct from China.

He ended with this...

"Count me in! Will study the specst right now,

Regards,

Daniel Rozsnyo" :D
Last edited by OzOnE2k10 on Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
baggyg

Post by baggyg »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Oh God, it just gets better.... Daniel Rozsnyo e-mailed me straight back. lol...
Count me in on any pre-order count!
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Hmmm, bit of a dilemma now...

It sounds like Daniel was intent on doing a MIPI version anyway, but I'm not sure if Chalk Elec will want to do their own version too?

I'll just reply to Daniel now and see what we can do.

Can anyone please help with getting the word out though?
We need to know how many people are serious about buying a 1080p upgrade, even if it's just the panel and adapter atm.

I think that once the boards are made and tested that it will start the ball rolling on the 3D printed moulds too.

Maybe it won't be so bad to attach the new panel to the DK1 anyway though?
Surely it will just need to be firmly stuck in the correct position? I'm guessing there's plenty of room in the DK1 housing?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:... We need to know how many people are serious about buying a 1080p upgrade, even if it's just the panel and adapter atm. ... Surely it will just need to be firmly stuck in the correct position? I'm guessing there's plenty of room in the DK1 housing?
I have not been following this thread lately, and no time now to go back and read earlier unread posts, so sorry if this question has already been answered. How much is the proposed price? That determines my interest. I may be interested.

Also, regarding size, it looks like even an iPad3 screen MIGHT (almost) fit inside the Rift. It is actually smaller than the outside dimensions of the front surface of the Rift. So a 1080p panel SHOULD be no problem, especially if creating a new front cover (which could be slightly better if needed, narrowing down at the attachment point to the face mask portion).
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Inscothen wrote:You'd only see the edges of the 5.5" if you put your eyes uncomfortably close to the DevKit's lenses. Valve recommends against doing that, so most people using a consumer Rift would do the same.

Oculus chose their DevKit lenses based on the 5.6" and the top and bottom portions of that screen are wasted by not being visible. If you use 5.6" panel with the 50mm 5x lenses you'd almost see the top and bottom edges and you definitely would the see sides(probably why Carmack put tape on the sides of his prototype he showed of at E3 last year.).

Since the 5.5" panel would be wider than the 5.6" panel it should be a great match for the DevKit's lens setup as long as you don't get uncomfortably close.

The current DK1 setup necessitates the SDK to utilise partial overlap; If you start putting in screens of different physical dimensions, your IPD would getting totally screwed up and things simply would not work.

Hence the idea of a 7" panel with the same aspect ration which can still be driven by a single DVI. Drop in and go as far as I can see.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

zacherynuk wrote:Hence the idea of a 7" panel with the same aspect ration which can still be driven by a single DVI. Drop in and go as far as I can see.
The amount of partial overlap (if needed at all) is determined by the physical separation (IPD) of the lenses. To work well with existing Rift pre-warp, it needs to be near 64mm. Significant differences in separation would require adding tangential lens distortion correction to the pre-warp function. You can set the lens centers for full overlap (such as needed for existing "standard" SBS content) even with a larger display, if you use tangential distortion correction to compensate for asymmetrical lens distortion.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

geekmaster wrote:
zacherynuk wrote:Hence the idea of a 7" panel with the same aspect ration which can still be driven by a single DVI. Drop in and go as far as I can see.
The amount of partial overlap (if needed at all) is determined by the physical separation (IPD) of the lenses. To work well with existing Rift pre-warp, it needs to be near 64mm. Significant differences in separation would require adding tangential lens distortion correction to the pre-warp function. You can set the lens centers for full overlap (such as needed for existing "standard" SBS content) even with a larger display, if you use tangential distortion correction to compensate for asymmetrical lens distortion.

I don't think so - the amount of partial over lap required is propositional to the size of the screen (The physical distance between the lenses is determined by nature).

The center of each image has to be lined up with the lenses and in order to utilise all of the screen each image center should be 25% of the screen width from the edge.

The warping is just to correct for lens distortion.

Look here and print off the partial overlap picture in different sizes to see. http://www.wastedspace.co.uk/cms/2012/0 ... l-overlap/
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

Erm, is there any way to make this simpler. lol

I thought the 5.5" screen would be a great match for the DK1?
Also, with the higher PPI, does it not make sense to go with the LG panel rather than a larger one?

I know a DVI / DP panel would be a lot simpler to implement, but I genuinely believe we will get this LG / MIPI controller made now.

Keep in mind that many of the future HD and Ultra-HD small panels will be using MIPI from now on.
The board could be made to work with those too when they become available / affordable.
Inscothen wrote:it should be closer to:
That last part kind of did it for me. :P
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Erm, is there any way to make this simpler. lol

I thought the 5.5" screen would be a great match for the DK1?
Also, with the higher PPI, does it not make sense to go with the LG panel rather than a larger one?

I know a DVI / DP panel would be a lot simpler to implement, but I genuinely believe we will get this LG / MIPI controller made now.

Keep in mind that many of the future HD and Ultra-HD small panels will be using MIPI from now on.
The board could be made to work with those too when they become available / affordable.
Inscothen wrote:it should be closer to:
That last part kind of did it for me. :P

The current screen is ~15cm wide so the ipd is ~7.5 cm which is too big. so partial overlap is used to bring the IPD down and grant a wider FOV on the edges.
The 5.5 screen would be ~11.8cm wide so the IPD is 5.9 which is nice and usable by most people. When the partially overlapped image is displayed on that screen size the IPD will fall to sub 5cm which is unusable.

I still don't understand the resolution per eye thing^ if correctly configured it will be dependent on screen resolution not screen size.
titou
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by titou »

At least we can now assume that it will be properly designed and will work great, we need to basically get a "preorder" count from everyone who's interested.
Count me in too!!, x2 for me, your price is my price!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I am POTENTIALLY interested. I need to know a price range first, before a commitment. What price range?
OzOnE2k10
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by OzOnE2k10 »

zacherynuk wrote:I still don't understand the resolution per eye thing^ if correctly configured it will be dependent on screen resolution not screen size.
I was just working on the assumption that the current optics may be better suited to a smaller screen size, so would better "collect" the available screen area into your FOV?

I was also banking on it being fairly straightforward add presets for different panels in the SDK, since Oculus have almost certainly done this already?

Thanks, titou,

Daniel is asking mainly what sort of price people are prepared to pay for a MIPI board, and for a 1080p panel?

Well, we know that the LG panels are around $79 in small quantities, and my best ESTIMATE for the board would be something closer to $99 (like the dp2retina board?).
I'll ask Daniel if he intends to make a separate MIPI only board, or fit the extra stuff to one of his existing designs.

Remember that a 5.6" Hydis panel plus controller still costs around $180 - $200 USD from Vitrolight (depending on shipping location)...
So, a 1080p panel for $79 and a board for $99 (still only $180 total) is a bargain in my book.

What would everyone say is a ballpark figure for how many boards would be bought in the short term?

Daniel said he is currently very busy working on his designs, so just needs to know a rough figure to see if it's worth his time.

OzOnE.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I would be interested, if it is kept in the $180 ballpark, or thereabouts... Too much more, and it may be worth waiting for the consumer Rift instead (especially with my three iPad3 IPS panels).
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:
zacherynuk wrote:I still don't understand the resolution per eye thing^ if correctly configured it will be dependent on screen resolution not screen size.
I was also banking on it being fairly straightforward add presets for different panels in the SDK, since Oculus have almost certainly done this already?

OzOnE.
Well, yes, you could build your own apps using your own shader settings etc. But nothing that anybody else or the developers or actual games makers do would work.

In the future, perhaps DK2 and certainly consumer people will likely add options to choose which rift you are using; but until then you are stuck with the supported configuration which is based around partial overlap images and a screen of 7" diagonal. There is a big difference between rift compatible and rift-like! The former may work, the latter will need rift-like applications to run on it.

Now you may be able to get 1080p (ish) per eye by using two of the 5.5's in portrait mode and in surround mode on the graphics hardware - I had a setup like this using the vitrolight panels and it was very good - but obviously back then there was no rift sdk (and the rift was still gonna be 5.6) so all I could do was create my own partial opverlapped animated gifs. I may well throw together that rig again and see how good 1280x800 is per eye.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I just ordered two retina ipad3 screens plus the dp-boards from Daniel.
Would like to check these first, BUT...count me in. There must be a reason why i did order four rifts in total ;)...
VR makes me nuts...Frankenrifts are on the horizon!

Edit: for compatibility i will go with windowing the output on the panel. Should correct all the said issues...
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

mr.uu wrote:VR makes me nuts...Frankenrifts are on the horizon!
Did somebody say "FrankenRift"?
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 44#p133044
;)
Flim
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Flim »

I would be interested as well...
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

Let's clear up the display talk.

If using the DevKit's lenses.

A-cups, normal vision with screen pushed out all the way like Valve recommends:

1) Sharp 5":
a NO
too much horizontal FOV cut off. this would give most pixels per eye but at greatly reduced FOV.

2) LG 5.5":
a YES.
you might just see the outer edges of the screen like coyote says. If closer to your eyes then you would see all edges of screen. If nearsighted and using the C-cups then you wouldn't see edge of screen i think.

3) Sharp 5.9" :
would be a great compromise so if we can get it, I say this panel is great with the A cups.
Definitely fills FOV unless lenses against your eyes or using larger lenses.

4) 7" 1920x1200 or 1080p.:
IF either fit into the DevKit's housing. if it didn't you might want to make a new housing.
a yes, if you want to waste pixels but definitely fill the lenses at reduced pixels per eye visible compared to the smaller panels.
or if using the 50mm 5x loupe lenses and reducing horizontal FOV(center of screen because it'll be cut off.),
this would have the MOST compatablility with the DevKit if it fits.

Norm from tested.com said when he tried the 1080p prototype he was saw the edge of the screen. if it was a lot the that would be a 5" panel. if it was a little it might have been the LG.

A-cups all the way out:

5.5"(just about all the FOV thru the lenses if not all)
5.9"(reduced pixels per eye compared to 5.5")

If 50mm 5x:

7"(larger FOV)
Last edited by Inscothen on Sat Jun 22, 2013 1:26 am, edited 5 times in total.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

QUAKE wrote:Does anyone know what panel is used in the Nook HD 7" ? (not HD+, which is 9")
LG LD070WX5-SM01 :
* TFT 7" 1440 x 900
* 400 cd/m² - 800:1 - 262K
* $40,00 (MIPI)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... i/Displays (Wikinet has been down for some days now :/)
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Inscothen wrote:Let's clear up the display talk.

If using the DevKit's lenses.

A-cups, normal vision with screen pushed out all the way like Valve recommends:

1) Sharp 5":
a NO.
too much horizontal FOV cut off. this would give most pixels per eye but at greatly reduced FOV.

2) LG 5.5":
a YES.
you might just see the outer edges of the screen like coyote says. If closer to your eyes then you would see all edges of screen. If nearsighted and using the C-cups then you wouldn't see edge of screen i think.

3) Sharp 5.9" :
would be a great compromise so if we can get it, I say this panel is great with the A cups.
Definitely fills FOV unless lenses against your eyes or using larger lenses.

4) 7" 1920x1200 or 1080p.:
IF either fit into the DevKit's housing. if it didn't you might want to make a new housing.
a yes if you want to waste pixels but definitely fill the lenses at reduced pixels per eye visible compared to the smaller panels.
or if using the 50mm 5x loupe lenses and reducing horizontal FOV(center of screen because it'll be cut off.),
this would have the MOST compatablility with the DevKit if it fits.

Norm from tested said when he tried the 1080p prototype he was reduced horizontal FOV. if it was a lot the that would be a 5" panel. if it was a little it might have been the LG.

5.5"(same FOV as DevKit)

5.9"(reduced pixels per eye compared to 5.5")

If 50mm 5x:

7"(larger FOV)
Nope. Take the screen off your rift, print out some rift screenshots to the dimensions of the screens in question and just see for yourself. You are completely missing the point on iPd , physical dimensions and partial overlap.

Unless of course you aim to create a rift competitor with its own visual requirements.
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

mr.uu wrote:I just ordered two retina ipad3 screens plus the dp-boards from Daniel.
Would like to check these first, BUT...count me in. There must be a reason why i did order four rifts in total ;)...
VR makes me nuts...Frankenrifts are on the horizon!

Edit: for compatibility i will go with windowing the output on the panel. Should correct all the said issues...
Be interesting to see the effect of the better screen with regards screen door and update blurring. Its a very modest resolution upgrade mind isn,t it something like 717 x 1200 vs 600 x 800 by my reckoning - still not to be sniffed at :-)
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

OzOnE2k10 wrote:Remember that a 5.6" Hydis panel plus controller still costs around $180 - $200 USD from Vitrolight (depending on shipping location)...
So, a 1080p panel for $79 and a board for $99 (still only $180 total) is a bargain in my book.
LaserEdge DIY HMD :
- AUO B101UAN02.1 - 1920x1200 - 10.1" - TFT - LVDS : $56.99
- NJY2662 board from njytouch : $39.99
Total price : $96.98

Details : http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewtopic.p ... 610#p94610
QUAKE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QUAKE »

Fredz wrote:
QUAKE wrote:Does anyone know what panel is used in the Nook HD 7" ? (not HD+, which is 9")
LG LD070WX5-SM01 :
* TFT 7" 1440 x 900
* 400 cd/m² - 800:1 - 262K
* $40,00 (MIPI)

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... i/Displays (Wikinet has been down for some days now :/)
Thanks, has anyone got it working with through DVI or VGA? Is a MIPI <> RGB converter needed?
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

zacherynuk wrote: Nope. Take the screen off your rift, print out some rift screenshots to the dimensions of the screens in question and just see for yourself. You are completely missing the point on iPd , physical dimensions and partial overlap.

Unless of course you aim to create a rift competitor with its own visual requirements.
I did all that. I tested the Devkit and my 5.6" with both the 50mm 5x, the A cups, and the C cups. I tested different eye-to-lens differences, how the two lenses compare to each other, how the screen dimension differences affect the stereo, etc..

I'm not knocking the 50mm lesnes or the 7" panel. I think they're awesome. They work great together, especially if you are nearsighted. If not near sighted, the Rift's cup housing would reduce the amount of screenspace visible but still be great. You want the full effect of the 50mm on the 7"? You have to make the housing's eyecup openings bigger. The seeing the other side of the screen is cancelled by the eye divider partition.

My estimates are pretty good.

I thought we were trying to make a 1080p Rift prototype clone/DevKit hack. This would break compatibility with anything official. I'm coming at this Rift mod as a glimpse into a HiRes Rift not as a direct drop in replacement. Oculus said they want a a smaller panel. They might redo the optics too, so all this won't be like the consumer or a DevKit2 Rift. If you want a 7" I say go for it(whether you wanna use rift lenses or 50mm lenses). I personally want to keep the Rift's lenses and get a panel that gives most pixels visible to the eye with Valve's recommended housing distance using the A-cups(extended all the way out).
zacherynuk

Post by zacherynuk »

Inscothen wrote:
zacherynuk wrote: Nope. Take the screen off your rift, print out some rift screenshots to the dimensions of the screens in question and just see for yourself. You are completely missing the point on iPd , physical dimensions and partial overlap.

I did all that. I tested the Devkit and my 5.6" with both the 50mm 5x, the A cups, and the C cups. I tested different eye-to-lens differences, how the two lenses compare to each other, how the screen dimension differences affect the stereo, etc..

I'm not knocking the 50mm lesnes or the 7" panel. I think they're awesome. They work great together, especially if you are nearsighted. If not near sighted, the Rift's cup housing would reduce the amount of screenspace visible but still be great. You want the full effect of the 50mm on the 7"? You have to make the housing's eyecup openings bigger. The seeing the other side of the screen is cancelled by the eye divider partition.

My estimates are pretty good.

I thought we were trying to make a 1080p Rift prototype clone/DevKit hack. This would break compatibility with anything official. I'm coming at this Rift mod as a glimpse into a HiRes Rift not as a direct drop in replacement. Oculus said they want a a smaller panel. They might redo the optics too, so all this won't be like the consumer or a DevKit2 Rift. If you want a 7" I say go for it(whether you wanna use rift lenses or 50mm lenses). I personally want to keep the Rift's lenses and get a panel that gives most pixels visible to the eye with Valve's recommended housing distance using the A-cups(extended all the way out).
Fair enough - I thought we were trying to make a fully compatible clone, which requires image center-point distance of ~65mm . Certainly I'd like to have something that I could carry on enjoying the rift demos and SDK with.

I never did understand this: "if using the A vision lenses, most people will want to adjust it all the way out" - I am more of the feeling that if using an HMD you will want the lens as close to you eye as possible to aid FOV and exit pupil.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

zacherynuk wrote: I never did understand this: "if using the A vision lenses, most people will want to adjust it all the way out" - I am more of the feeling that if using an HMD you will want the lens as close to you eye as possible to aid FOV and exit pupil.
I think they(Valve) wanted people to have it be comfortable. I agree with them, another click closer with the A cups for me is distracting with my eyelashes touching the lenses. It's a trade off between amazing FOV and comfort.

I agree having the lenses closer is better for FOV, much better. I like the 50mm with the 5.6" and the DevKit.

I forgot, prices?

I'm with geekmaster, somewhere around $180(LCD and HDMI-MIPI circuit) is good for me.
Tacklebait
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tacklebait »

I think they(Valve) wanted people to have it be comfortable. I agree with them, another click closer with the A cups for me is distracting with my eyelashes touching the lenses. It's a trade off between amazing FOV and comfort.

Best of both worlds!
Naru
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Naru »

The Chalk-Elec guy is brilliant. The current panel he is working on that is available on preorder has the control board attached to the back and seems pretty small and light weight. Even the hdmi-lvds board is tiny with the heaviest thing being the hdmi connector. If he can make a 1080p mipi board and sell it as a combo attached to a screen then I think it'll be a winner. All we'd need is to make a custom hdmi breakout board to send usb along with the hdmi, if there happens to be a few unused pins we can use.

Also, it kind of makes you wonder why Oculus doesn't hire a guy like this to make a tiny control board. This would completely remove the need for a control box.
Inscothen

Post by Inscothen »

What's the latest word from ChalkElec? If able to build one of these, willing to do a LCD/circuit bundle?

EDIT: nevermind i missed the post above

Are we going for the 5.5" or should we get the 5.9" if available?

If we go for the 5.9" with the Rift lenses we could get it closer to the eyes and get bigger FOV at the trade off of eyelash brushing against the screen. It would be worse for amount of pixels in your eyes FOV(pixels per arc minute?) but still be pretty good.
mr.uu

Post by mr.uu »

I would prefere the bigger one.
But what do you need usb for? Do you think we could use the Rifts tracker board directly via usb without the rifts controller box?
I doubt that is possible...

Return to “Oculus VR”