Cockroach torture device.

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Cockroach torture device.

Post by Okta »

This is not really the appropriate forum section for this but please check this new KS http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bac ... f=category

I am certainly no saint and spent my childhood 'experimenting' on insects as do many kids but as an adult this seems to tick many of the wrong boxes for me. They claim it is scientific but that seems like a cover, the concept seems simple enough and doesn't seem like it needs to be repeated on living animals for kicks.

I have no love for cockroaches but this just seems to send some chilling messages. I have sent a message to KS regarding my thoughts. I also noticed a few people temp backed it to write comments as well.

Post your thoughts, I could just be over reacting (getting old lol).

Thanks.

Update- crickets.......... here is a page with a video of the operation to fit the device to the roach. The roach is mutilated and frozen in the process and will die as a result.
Opps, here is it http://www.wired.co.uk/news/archive/201 ... ickstarter
Last edited by Okta on Tue Jun 18, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Re: Cockroach torture device.

Post by colocolo »

i guess this could be become a interesting VR device if you would combine it with a wireless camera
and the OR. then try to get control of the gait on/off and you could even use the omni in combination.
Be the cockroach. :lol:
Cromfel
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cromfel »

That is utterly sick stuff :roll:
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

Has there been any research made into the awareness of bugs?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Imo it doesn't matter if they are aware or not. These kind of experiements for such a pointless purpose does not belong in a civilized world. But whoever said that humans ever were civilized...
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
colocolo
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by colocolo »

Likay wrote:Imo it doesn't matter if they are aware or not. These kind of experiements for such a pointless purpose does not belong in a civilized world. But whoever said that humans ever were civilized...
They teached us that in school. History, chapter age of enlightement. Do you remember? :lol:
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I'm old and is starting to forget. Honestly i don't know if that's good or bad. :lol:
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Okta

Post by Okta »

I'm pretty amazed kickstarter has allowed this considering its seems like an extremely left wing haven full of arty farty and gay and lesbian projects.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Okta wrote:I'm pretty amazed kickstarter has allowed this considering its seems like an extremely left wing haven full of arty farty and gay and lesbian projects.
Just as a thought exercise: If you see anomalous behavior that you wish to understand, it helps to look for a connection between such unusual behavior and the subject matter related to that behavior. In this case, think about where most of these people you describe live (inner city) and where such insects thrive. Perhaps people in such living conditions could develop an aversion to such pests, allowing such a special exception to the rule (i.e. what kickstarter projects they allow). Just a possiblity to satisfy your curiousity as described in your post. Thought exercises are good for the brain, though not always politically correct...
Okta

Post by Okta »

geekmaster wrote:
Okta wrote:I'm pretty amazed kickstarter has allowed this considering its seems like an extremely left wing haven full of arty farty and gay and lesbian projects.
Just as a thought exercise: If you see anomalous behavior that you wish to understand, it helps to look for a connection between such unusual behavior and the subject matter related to that behavior. In this case, think about where most of these people you describe live (inner city) and where such insects thrive. Perhaps people in such living conditions could develop an aversion to such pests, allowing such a special exception to the rule (i.e. what kickstarter projects they allow). Just a possiblity to satisfy your curiousity as described in your post. Thought exercises are good for the brain, though not always politically correct...
Lol. Theres my causality all sorted cheers :lol:

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”