A.R stereo camera feed to the Rift ?

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
mickman
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

A.R stereo camera feed to the Rift ?

Post by mickman »

Anyone have any thoughts regarding the use of a stereoscopic camera to generate A.R within the Oculus Rift ?
Which if any camera would actually be capable of displaying stereo images to the Rift's screen ?
The camera would have to be fairly lightweight as it would sit on the Rift's faceplate. The Rift puts images through a warp algorithm that distorts the edges of the image to cater for the lenses uses in the Rift. I'm no tech head when it comes to video signals etc... and hooking up a video feed but I do develop A.R apps

note: I've heard that the duel Go-Pro does not work...

So I wonder what would actually be required... ?
Image Image

My Mind is screaming like a Zen Master dreaming .....
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Re: A.R stereo camera feed to the Rift ?

Post by AngelJ »

mickman wrote:I'm no tech head when it comes to video signals etc...
I'm not this either but I bought a couple of $4 webcams from Amazon (http://amzn.com/B0015TJNEY) to experiment with features for my application Deskope, like looking at your keyboard or looking at the room you're in so you know when someone's walked in or something like that.

What makes these cameras bad for the Rift is the extremely narrow FOV and the latency. For my purposes the image quality isn't really important so that didn't bother me.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

You guys should search for PSEye cameras in this forum to uncover a lot of discussion about creating high-quality home brew cameras with them. They are cheap on the used market, are of surprisingly good quality, and are good for DIY projects - plus you can switch out their lenses for wide angles. Too many details for one post, but this thread has a lot of good info.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... =40#p89436
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

The PSEye is an awesome camera, and my brother has two that I could play around with. But I didn't think I could use it because there were compatibility issues with Windows. I'll have to look into that.
FingerFlinger
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by FingerFlinger »

Look up the Code Laboratories drivers. They are pretty full-featured, and have a big community of users.
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

I just came across those drivers. After installing them it seems like a PC will recognize the PSEye as a webcam. Very cool, thanks guys!

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”