vrcinema3D ist the best app to demo the rift

Infinite
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: vrcinema3D ist the best app to demo the rift

Post by Infinite »

This VR cinema experience is really fantastic. You don't even notice the screen door or low resolution. Especially when watching in 3D. It's like looking through a window into another universe.

I would love to see the Hobbit 48fps in 3D in this VR cinema.

Cinemas are totally screwed if they don't get involved with VR. I could see this taking over as a home format medium very quickly.
Laserschwert
Cross Eyed!

Post by Laserschwert »

By the way, you don't need to convert any of the files you use with it at all. You just have to change the filename to movie.avi, no matter what extension it originally has. Worked for me for both MP4 and MKV files. So I guess as long as your PC can play the file, the Virtual Theater can play it as well.
Hermit
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Hermit »

btw can you use this while laying down, like on a bed.

It's looks unnecessary to use this in a chair, laying down is better posture anyways.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

Hermit wrote:btw can you use this while laying down, like on a bed
yes you can! But it is like in a real cinema. If you lay down and watch straight up - you will only see the ceiling! :lol:
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

RoTaToR wrote:
Hermit wrote:btw can you use this while laying down, like on a bed
yes you can! But it is like in a real cinema. If you lay down and watch straight up - you will only see the ceiling! :lol:
I feel like there should be an option for alternative screen placements to facilitate stuff like laying down, or reclining in a chair, etc.
Mark2036
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Mark2036 »

Looks like Sony's gonna be trying to clear a lot of unwanted hmz-t2 stock soon :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

This was my first port of call when unboxing my Rift last night and by 3am when I turned it all off, this was still the highlight for me.
I think I struggled in many areas last night so will take a new approach tonight and start afresh..but this cinema app was outstanding, I genuinely felt I was at a cinema...the scale of the screen was brilliant :)
Tankshell
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Tankshell »

museumsteve wrote:This was my first port of call when unboxing my Rift last night and by 3am when I turned it all off, this was still the highlight for me.
I think I struggled in many areas last night so will take a new approach tonight and start afresh..but this cinema app was outstanding, I genuinely felt I was at a cinema...the scale of the screen was brilliant :)
I tried this earlier this morning and indeed it is brilliant. Currently my fav Rift experience along with properly calibrated Half Life 2. I watched the movie "Dog Soldiers" for 30 minutes, kind of just got sucked into it and forgot I was only meant to be testing it out. :D

EDIT - although it was a bit spooky being the only one in the cinema =0) Maybe a few non player character models sat about the room might give it more of a sense of 'being'.
Tankshell
Software Developer & Founder of Handheld Pixels
Read My Oculus Rift First Impressions | http://timloram.me.uk | http://handheldpixels.co.uk
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I'd love to watch a whole movie in it but I'd rather be able to put a disc in (I don't download any movies)
I have my movie room with nice sound and bass shakers on the seats (which are red flip down cinema seats..just like in this app :D ) so I'd love to have the full on surround sound while watching a movie in the Rift :woot
Last edited by museumsteve on Mon May 27, 2013 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Need to figure a way to stream an arbitrary window onto the cinema screen, in particular a web browser window.

Secondlife can already do this:

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Engl ... a-p/700145

For example, you could use this to rent and view movies on Google.

Can't wait until they get OR support released.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
usb247
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by usb247 »

This will be the first thing I try with my rift. At first The thought of watching a movie in vr didnt exactly sound appealing but you guys make it seem pretty awesome.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

I thought I'd try a digital copy of Tangled, so installed it from DVD where it now shows a WMV. I installed K Lite codec pack but only get a white screen in vrcinema3D Anyone have any pointers?
I never use my digital copies but would be great to be able to use them for something worthwhile :)
Vamplifire

Post by Vamplifire »

I have already said this needs XBMC Support. This way your local content is available. Also youtube, PFTV and all other plugins
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

blazespinnaker wrote:Need to figure a way to stream an arbitrary window onto the cinema screen, in particular a web browser window.
You can do that with GMsphere or Deskope, which both provide a curved wrap-around screen (a side-effect of of uncorrected lens distortion, exploited to advantage in these apps). Some people even claimed there was less motion sickness when NOT performing pre-warp distortion correction. At this time, I think that Deskope also supports window resizing.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

museumsteve wrote:I thought I'd try a digital copy of Tangled, so installed it from DVD where it now shows a WMV. I installed K Lite codec pack but only get a white screen in vrcinema3D Anyone have any pointers?
I never use my digital copies but would be great to be able to use them for something worthwhile :)
Try configuring your codec pack to use a different rendering method. Perhaps even software rendering. Your codec pack should have an icon in the Windows tool tray while a video is playing.

You may also want to install the CCCP codec pack, in addition to K-Lite:
http://www.cccp-project.net/
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

geekmaster wrote:
museumsteve wrote:I thought I'd try a digital copy of Tangled, so installed it from DVD where it now shows a WMV. I installed K Lite codec pack but only get a white screen in vrcinema3D Anyone have any pointers?
Try configuring your codec pack to use a different rendering method. Perhaps even software rendering. Your codec pack should have an icon in the Windows tool tray while a video is playing.

You may also want to install the CCCP codec pack, in addition to K-Lite:
http://www.cccp-project.net/
Thanks mate, will have another look tonight.
plompi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by plompi »

Is your movie now called movie.wmv? I think it has to be called movie.avi . Maybe you have to force Windows to show known file extensions to change it. Also works with .mkv(if right codecs are installed)
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

I just DLed this today, and wow... Might just be my favorite experience on the Rift yet, and I haven't even tried a 3D clip yet!

How are you guys grabbing the SBS 3D clips from youtube, for example?

I would love to try out a few 3D examples.
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

i guess i gotta invest in a good laptop..because i plan on using this in the living room on my surround sound
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

This was my first Rift test and still the best so far. I think the cinema being dark does a lot to alleviate the screen door effect. The 3d movies work really well but show up the low res and screen door more so than the darkened cinema.
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
ido
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ido »

I tried to take a clip of the VR Cinema through the lens of the Rift last night for those who do not yet have a Rift.

Here you go:

http://youtu.be/eC6azAcW1Ds
mattyeatsmatts

Post by mattyeatsmatts »

I think each seat in an aeroplane in the future should have a rift installed and then this app would change the otherwise claustrophobic experience into a wonderful relaxing one.
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Somebody please make a drive-in version of this.
www.AwesomeBlade.com
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Parallaxis wrote:Somebody please make a drive-in version of this.
Would be awesome :) Def would be great with network support as well. A lot more modelling required for the cars and such though...
"I did not chip in ten grand to seed a first investment round to build value for a Facebook acquisition."
Notch on the FaceDisgrace buyout.
D3n
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by D3n »

Hello,

This looks very impressive from the videos. Has anyone here compared it to the movie experience you get with a Sony hmz-t2? I currently have one (but not the Rift) and the perceived screen looks pretty massive on it, if i watch in total darkness. What i'm curious to know is if the cinema screen in VrCinema3d is comparable in size and feeling to that on the HMZ-T2 (or T1), when watching movies.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

Parallaxis wrote:Somebody please make a drive-in version of this.

I concur, and vote for 3 models... a 240Z, a pickup truck bed, and a decked out 70's era van facing backwards (green shag carpet 360)~!
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

D3n wrote:Hello,

This looks very impressive from the videos. Has anyone here compared it to the movie experience you get with a Sony hmz-t2? I currently have one (but not the Rift) and the perceived screen looks pretty massive on it, if i watch in total darkness. What i'm curious to know is if the cinema screen in VrCinema3d is comparable in size and feeling to that on the HMZ-T2 (or T1), when watching movies.
The screen can be much bigger than the HMZ-T2 (or T1) can display, since the Rift fills much more FOV than the HMZ-T2, but the resolution and overall image quality (color, motion blur, contrast, etc.) on the Rift will be much worse.

It is not worth getting the current dev kit Rift if your main focus is watching movies.
KingK76
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by KingK76 »

I needed help but figured it out... Sorry for the wasted space.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

metulski wrote:
GeraldT wrote:the size says "I'm a trailer" :)
of cause it is the Trailer. Sorry :oops:
that was just in response to Namielus :) ... really appreciate your upload !
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
blazespinnaker
Certif-Eyed!

Post by blazespinnaker »

Very cool, but I have to say I think it needs to be multi user to really take advantage of the rift immersion. It'd be fun to go to movies with my friends with the rift.

Right now it's just the same as sitting close your TV/Monitor, except low rez and you have this uncomfortable thing pressed up against your face. Plus unless you have the iPD / eye cups / etc configured exactly, it's a bit problematic.
Gear VR: Maybe OVR isn't so evil after all!
kh3naz
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kh3naz »

Now i don't regret selling my HMZ-T1 at all , i absolutely can't wait for a consumer version of the rift

Can you imagine how further they could even push this , gaww.. :shock:
coadyj
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by coadyj »

Just wanted to chime in here and say wow. Best demo for the rift. I know the resolution is wrong but the sense of being there is fantastic.
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

This is still my fav to demo to people :) but I never worked out how to get a WMV DVD (from digital copy) to play. I installed CCCP and K-lite but got lost trying to work out what to do next :(

Hopefully next update (due soon I believe) may have options for just about all formats..or even something from your disc drive ;)
Leahy
Cross Eyed!

Post by Leahy »

I'd like to be able to at least not have to rename the files and have a hotkey to play the next file in the folder. From what I understand you have to rename each file to movie.avi so you would have to 'leave the cinema' so to speak to watch multiple clips, any word on that update?
ElMatarife
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by ElMatarife »

jf031 wrote: The screen can be much bigger than the HMZ-T2 (or T1) can display, since the Rift fills much more FOV than the HMZ-T2, but the resolution and overall image quality (color, motion blur, contrast, etc.) on the Rift will be much worse.

It is not worth getting the current dev kit Rift if your main focus is watching movies.
Yes, but the Sony HMZ line is basically twice or three times the price of the Rift. And the HMZ-T2 was never released in the US. A few solid media playback applications for the Rift dev kit might make it a decent competitor.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Post by jf031 »

ElMatarife wrote:
jf031 wrote: The screen can be much bigger than the HMZ-T2 (or T1) can display, since the Rift fills much more FOV than the HMZ-T2, but the resolution and overall image quality (color, motion blur, contrast, etc.) on the Rift will be much worse.

Yes, but the Sony HMZ line is basically twice or three times the price of the Rift. And the HMZ-T2 was never released in the US. A few solid media playback applications for the Rift dev kit might make it a decent competitor.
OK, but the person I responded to already owns an HMZ.
EAPidgeon
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by EAPidgeon »

blazespinnaker wrote:Very cool, but I have to say I think it needs to be multi user to really take advantage of the rift immersion. It'd be fun to go to movies with my friends with the rift.

Right now it's just the same as sitting close your TV/Monitor, except low rez and you have this uncomfortable thing pressed up against your face. Plus unless you have the iPD / eye cups / etc configured exactly, it's a bit problematic.
I've actually been preparing some stuff in the source mod Garrysmod for this, there are a lot of levels in it where you can set-up a movie screen on a server and watch with friends, and other interesting experiments in it, however, I need a Rift to see how good the support is, the game itself is also a testbed i'm getting maps from with certain atmospheric effects and etc, i'm hoping it'll be a nice little effect testbed to see what looks really cool, and what looks eh.
Falan
Cross Eyed!

Post by Falan »

I love the idea of being the only one in there, if you put in extra characters to fill it out please include a baseball bat dispenser at the side for when that annoying rustling becomes unbearable :D
3dvison
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by 3dvison »

Falan wrote:I love the idea of being the only one in there, if you put in extra characters to fill it out please include a baseball bat dispenser at the side for when that annoying rustling becomes unbearable :D
GarrysMod + VR Cimima + Falan as our VR-Usher = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g2wD5TaMf2k
museumsteve

Post by museumsteve »

Return to “Oculus VR”