What do you think about this display for a DIY Rift??

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

What do you think about this display for a DIY Rift??

Post by RescueGamer »

Hi everyone, i want to build my own oculus rift. For the tracking i will use my android phone (with a script on FreePIE i can use it with vireio perception and works really well), i alredy choosen the lens:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/251148139033?ssP ... 1469wt_906

And the last thing i need it's the display. The oculus rift uses a 7 inch screen with 1280x800 resolution (is this right?), so i was searching and found this:

http://www.ebay.es/itm/HDMI-VGA-2AV-Con ... 352wt_1037

What do you think about this lcd panel? I think is perfect, not only for the price (I can't spent too much :S), the resolution is good (1280x800) and it's 7 inch too. I think i will use this, tell me what you think :)

Thanks for your opinions!
Chriky
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: What do you think about this display for a DIY Rift??

Post by Chriky »

Yes it looks OK. It is slightly defective, but it is pretty cheap. Almost everybody bought their screen from that eBay seller (chinatobby)
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

Yhanks for your opinion, you helped me :)
The next monday I will order the display and lens, I hope the quality is acceptable, seems a real good option, i saw the same display model for about 120$ in other pages, so it's a really low price.
EDIT: One thing, when you say that It is slightly defective, what exactly you mean? I know that it's a chineese product, but can be used to build a DIY Rift? or it's really bad image quality, spots, or something like that?
ChrisJD
Cross Eyed!

Post by ChrisJD »

He means that that listing is for a controller board + defective panel.
HDMI+VGA+2AV Control board+7inch 1280*800 N070ICG-L21 IPS Lcd (Lcd Defective)
When it was white image. Some part of white image aren't show well-distributed, and the brightness is lower than normal. The other part is normally and displays well.
I have no idea what that means in actual English, but I'm pretty sure it's the description of the way in which it is defective.
RescueGamer
Cross Eyed!

Post by RescueGamer »

I asked to the seller and he says that the only defective it's that the display has a bit lower brightness, but nothing else (no darker areas or spots, only the general brightness a bit lower). So it matter for a HMD? I mean, the display will be enclosed in a dark box, so it don't need much bright don't? or it will arruine the experience?

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”