Vireio drivers not working - Suggestions

The place for all discussion of the Oculus Rift compatible open source 3D drivers.
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Vireio drivers not working - Suggestions

Post by tothjm »

Hey Rifters,

So i tried Farcry 3, and Dishonored using the most recent update that you all have in the dev thread. '

when i launch dishonored ( tehse are both retail not steam mind you ) i see the dual screen on my monitor ( rift setup also ) but then it kicks me to windows, i hear the game sound, then takes me back in, and the screen comes on for about 2 sec then goes black again ( monitor and rift ) then after about 5 sec, comes back on, and goes on and off like this until it just stays black and i have to reboot. I was going to try a 3rd game but figured i would ask here first.

I am running perception first, picking oculus rift for the first option and oculus headtracking for the 2nd.

Anyone seen this yet as i would really like to try these games lol

EDIT - I wanted to also mention i am running 2x GTX 670 in SLI mode, have not tried single GPU yet.
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Vireio drivers not working - Suggestions

Post by Neil »

I don't know about Dishonored, but Far Cry 3 support isn't included in the current build. It's just not ready yet.

Regards,
Neil
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tothjm »

Thanks Neil,

Let's leave that out for now then :) so dishonored is all i have tried so far. I know someone made some adjustments for jedi academy i will try that one shortly, and i will try single GPU and see what happens.

whats funny is, even if i set perception driver to disable when i run it, and no head tracking, in theory, it should not even really be injecting anything, yet same effect... screen goes in and out until finally it just fails. Just my luck =\

any ideas, silly or seriious both welcome as i try to work through this!

EDIT - Just on a side note, i have my main monitor, and the rift, set to clone mode so both are on at the same time at 1280 x 800. That is fine for this 3rd party driver yes?
mm0zct
Cross Eyed!

Post by mm0zct »

yes I run the monitors cloned too. have had applications fail to start correctly if they are trying to run at too high a resolution.
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tothjm »

went into the game prior to doing screen clone and set it to 1280 x 800 so it isnt that =\
tothjm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by tothjm »

ok guys, i found the problem, but i dont know if its on the perception driver side or nvidia side.

So basically it breaks when i do clone desktop in 1280 x 800 with my monitor, and the Rift, while in SLI mode

if i turn off SLI and do cloned desktop, works FINE

is this some type of support you all can add to the drivers or is this on nvidia?

just running 2x GTX 670 in Win7 ultimate 64bit.

If this is extra support you all can add in the driver i hope this helps you :)
Neil
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by Neil »

Vireio Perception isn't SLI compatible at this time.

Regards,
Neil
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

So I'm having this same problem and I have a suspicion about whats going on. When in SLI mode Vireio will try to initialize the game in 640x480 for some reason. The flashing is the rift failing to render that resolution and so it goes back to the resolution that you have set in the game for a second before it tries again. For me, this causes an endless loop and I need to manually kill the game via task manager or else it could (has before) eventually reboots my system. I discovered this in left 4 dead after I tried to start the game without vireio and saw it had reset the resolution to 640x480 for some reason. I hope this helps with an eventual fix.
bizarrobrian
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bizarrobrian »

bizarrobrian wrote:So I'm having this same problem and I have a suspicion about whats going on. When in SLI mode Vireio will try to initialize the game in 640x480 for some reason. The flashing is the rift failing to render that resolution and so it goes back to the resolution that you have set in the game for a second before it tries again. For me, this causes an endless loop and I need to manually kill the game via task manager or else it could (has before) eventually reboots my system. I discovered this in left 4 dead after I tried to start the game without vireio and saw it had reset the resolution to 640x480 for some reason. I hope this helps with an eventual fix.
So I actually figured this out. There is an issue with SLI mode and cloned monitors (doesn't matter if it's the rift or another any other monitor). I was testing with Skryim and even with SLI enabled, I was able to get Vireio working by setting the Rift to "extend desktop" instead of "clone desktop." I obviously couldn't view it through the rift and was just looking at vireio on my main monitor, but I verified that head tracking was working correctly and that it did not crash after a few minutes of play. I then tried setting the Rift as my main desktop (not recommended for usability and sanity sake) and was able to get Skryim running with Vireio with SLI enabled.

So, to permanently resolve this, I ordered this $25 HDMI splitter on Amazon ( http://www.amazon.com/dp/B003B4O7NS/ref ... 25410_item ). It should arrive by Saturday at which point I'll test it, but it should work and have the added benefit of not forcing me to clone my monitors to run the Rift.

Return to “Development / General Discussion”