Just my Razer Hydra.....what now?

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Just my Razer Hydra.....what now?

Post by phillypro »

just got my Razer Hydra and set it up

but im at a loss ....

the only game i have is bioshock infinite....i downloaded and put in an mce to run it...and it made the systray crash.....

now im sitting here with nothing to do....i have no idea how to hop into a tuscany demo....i wish this thing came with a demo ....kinda sucks
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Just my Razer Hydra.....what now?

Post by stinkvis »

phillypro wrote:just got my Razer Hydra and set it up

but im at a loss ....

the only game i have is bioshock infinite....i downloaded and put in an mce to run it...and it made the systray crash.....

now im sitting here with nothing to do....i have no idea how to hop into a tuscany demo....i wish this thing came with a demo ....kinda sucks
Are you using the systray thingy provided by razer? Cause I had problems with that one as well. Fixed by replacing it with sixense motion creator. Might be worth a try.
Oh and if you do get it to work, make sure to try out the various control schemes available, as the default is horribly unintuitive IMO. I like the hybrid one the best but YMMV
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

ok that made a big difference....now i have it in motion creator no crashing ....but when i load up bioshock infinite i get no response....i cant move or click anything with hydra....but it works fine as a mouse and when i initialize it
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I would try out Portal 2 first. You'll need to buy it on Steam and then email Sixense for the code. It has a really good implementation. You can also download the Sixense version of the Tuscany demo, but this may not be as cool if you don't have your Rift yet.
spire8989
Cross Eyed!

Post by spire8989 »

I personally enjoy the Hydra in tf2, which is free, right? Could try that out for a bit.
Gnometech
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Gnometech »

You could try our Hydra Ryder demo. No Rift required! You may find the link in my GarageGames blog:

http://www.garagegames.com/community/blogs/view/22186

- Dave
Torque 3D an open source MIT licensed game engine
Torque 3D Game Development Cookbook by me!
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

Ok here is motion creator 2: http://sixense.com/products/motioncreator

though I gather you've found that.

Email your Hydra serial number to p2motionpack@sixense.com and request a key for the portal 2 MotionPack DLC. Naturally you need to own Potal 2 as well.

Here is the tuscany demo, you can mess around in it just fine without a rift: http://sixense.com/sixensetuscanydemo

Othe than that you can join the rest of us in waiting for new VR content.
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

Tuscany was cool...at first very surreal ....then a little wobbly lol

and i kinda noticed that all but so slight second of latency between me throwing my virtual jabs and the fists flying into place

i guess we havent nailed that true 1 to 1 motion yet

still i can see great potential and im sure with proper depth perception i can get the hang of throwing the basketball up and catching it
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

I also just got the hydra and I highly recommend TF2. The way it works is similar to the way TF2 works with the rift - there's a little keyhole where your cursor moves independently of moving the camera around, until your cursor leaves that keyhole. I've been loving it and it makes it feel more like an arcade shooter.
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stinkvis »

phillypro wrote:ok that made a big difference....now i have it in motion creator no crashing ....but when i load up bioshock infinite i get no response....i cant move or click anything with hydra....but it works fine as a mouse and when i initialize it
Sometimes motion creator fails to recognize the game being launched. Try forcing it (right click on the game/mode you want to use and click 'force').
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

no it recognizes bioshock is on it says so in a popup soon as i start the game....it just wont control anything
stinkvis
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by stinkvis »

That's odd. Is bioshock configured to use a gamepad for controls? It has to be set to keyboard/mouse as that's what the hydra emulates. The only other thing I can think of is to start the game first, and only take the controllers off the base when you're actually in the game. You may have to press one of the start buttons too. For that to work you would still have to force bioshock, it will enter mouse pointer mode I think.
Drewbdoo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Drewbdoo »

Also, make sure you don't have a 360 controller hooked up as well as the hydra when you boot your game. Sometimes, games will want to use one or the other or it sometimese puts the hydra on as player 2, etc.
phillypro
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by phillypro »

naw man....nothing but hydra and usb mouse on my pc

i guess bioshock just wasnt meant to be for me
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

phillypro wrote:naw man....nothing but hydra and usb mouse on my pc

i guess bioshock just wasnt meant to be for me
I'll give it a go and see if I can recreate your problem...

Nope, works as expected, though the default control scheme isn't much to my taste. Can't imagine what your problem is.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”