Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy source code released

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
LordJuanlo
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy source code released

Post by LordJuanlo »

After the sad closure of LucasArts yesterday, some good news for gamers. They just released Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy source code (single player portion). Can you imagine what could be done with this? I'm just thinking about using a Razer Hydra: with one hand, you control force power, with the other one... yes, your lightsaber!!! All this with our Oculus Rift, of course.

The player 3D model is done (the game is in third person perspective), so someone could do the same that Valve did with TF2: use the third person character model without head and put the point of view there.

An interesting project for talented people out there.
Comunidad española de RV / Spanish VR Community
s0uL
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy source code released

Post by s0uL »

Please do, community. Outcast is probably my favorite multiplayer game of all time. I'd be forever grateful.
PalmerTech
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by PalmerTech »

Outcast and Academy are both awesome games. Would love to shoot some Force lightning in VR! :P
jack612
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by jack612 »

They're both Quake III engine games, right? From the thread in the Rifted forum it seems like densohax is making really good progress on a VR version of Quake III.
maboo63
Cross Eyed!

Post by maboo63 »

BEST game was jedi academy - gimme that!!
Linkage1992
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Linkage1992 »

It'd be nice revisiting my childhood again. :)
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

It took a long time and a lot of work to get it to compile.
I've got Star Wars: Dark Forces 3: Jedi Knight 2: Jedi Outcast (single player) compiling in Visual Studio 2010.
Now I need to find my game disc to test it with.
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

For anyone interested in the source, this GitHub project seems like one to keep an eye on:
https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK

I cloned it, and was able to compile the Jedi Academy solution without a problem. (Got some errors on the Jedi Outcast projects though.)
I'll also have to hunt down my Jedi Outcast / Academy CDs, so haven't actually tried anything with the results.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

mscoder610 wrote:For anyone interested in the source, this GitHub project seems like one to keep an eye on:
https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK

I cloned it, and was able to compile the Jedi Academy solution without a problem. (Got some errors on the Jedi Outcast projects though.)
I'll also have to hunt down my Jedi Outcast / Academy CDs, so haven't actually tried anything with the results.
That's cheating though. ;) I did it from scratch from Raven's git repository on SourceForge. If they had released it on github to start with, I would have looked at what forks there were, but I wasn't sure how to do that from SourceForge. I also wasn't sure how to put my repository online.
So maybe I'll have a look at that fork.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

Love those games. I can't wait for some light saber hydra dismemberment. :D

Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

JEDI ACADEMY was my most beloved game BTW i am HUGE friend of STARWARS and i did played acadmy 03 Times being last time in 3D on my 17" CRT with XFORCE3D shutter Glasses & NVIDIA forceware 91 on my GEFORCE 6600

SO sad DISNEY shut down LUCASARTS but hei STARWARS7 is already announced and may be release in 3D Kudos!!! what story they film ?

A.bobaFEtt aka BOUNTY HUNTer
B.Old Republic (Malek n Raven)
C.STARKILLER aka FORCE UNLEDAshed 1/2

that Said back to topic

LOVE to see this game in VR
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Crap I just opened a topic about this then found the thread.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvJuiBRN9Po[/youtube]
Jedi Knight 2 has a first person lightsaber mod. Imagine possibilitie's with wii mote / hydra. Looks surprisingly good.

@Fillip
Sadly its a continuation of Episode IV-VI . They were getting The original cast to cameo. Probably one of the "next generation stories". I would of killed for an alternate telling of Knights of the Old republic. http://entertainment.nbcnews.com/_news/ ... -wars?lite
Dilip
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Dilip »

Star Wars Universe is quite BIG, i don know why when they have many stories to tell they keep on RECYCLING OLD EP-1 to EP-6 its...Pathetic
zinion
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zinion »

If someone did this i would kiss there feet. I hated last starwars game that you could use with xbox 360... so terrible i felt like a git jumping and waving my arms around .... :|
QUAKE
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by QUAKE »

This is really good news!

To those who took a look at the code already, is the legendary iMUSE code available as well?!
eqzitara1
Cross Eyed!

Post by eqzitara1 »

Forgot to mention Jedi Academy first person is possible and looks awesome. A guy was working on it and I went to check his progress but unfortunately he dropped the project on hard drive crash.

He has videos here
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThunderEwokB/videos
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

Just for fun, over this weekend I've added Oculus Rift rendering support to OpenJK's Jedi Academy code.

This does not include head tracking, since that has some complications due to GPL license. I think the way around that is to treat it as a separate DLL and load each function just like opengl32.dll.

I fixed several UI stereoscopic bugs I found in the code, and adjusted UI not be in the distance.

There are still other issues with it though. And it needs the code to be organized better and maybe exposing some settings to config file and console.

I've attached here the source and binaries (executable and dll only, you supply the data).

Source code does not include Oculus source, but it is not needed at this time since it just uses a hard coded shader. But for head tracking, it may eventually require it to build source.

I've tried both boxed version of the game as well as steam and they work. All you need to do is copy the GameData/base directory contents to the bin/base directory.

It doesn't autodetect what display is the Oculus, so you need to duplicate the displays. I force all game resolution modes to 1280x800 (not very nice but good enough for now).

I also have in there a default configuration (bin/base/openjk_sp.cfg). cg_fov is set to "99" and cg_stereoSeparation is set to "2". You can adjust these in the console. Using a cg_stereoSeparation of 9 to make things look like toys (playing in 3rd person) although some cinematics may hurt your eyes.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

If I had received my Oculus I would be testing this right now. Thanks for doing it! It's an important first step.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

LeeN wrote:This does not include head tracking, since that has some complications due to GPL license. I think the way around that is to treat it as a separate DLL and load each function just like opengl32.dll.
I don't think you need to worry about that. I worried about that before, but if you say it's a system library (like DirectX is), and you don't put the Oculus code in your repository, then it should be OK. You are allowed to link to system libraries.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

2EyeGuy wrote:
LeeN wrote:This does not include head tracking, since that has some complications due to GPL license. I think the way around that is to treat it as a separate DLL and load each function just like opengl32.dll.
I don't think you need to worry about that. I worried about that before, but if you say it's a system library (like DirectX is), and you don't put the Oculus code in your repository, then it should be OK. You are allowed to link to system libraries.
I'll try just releasing it that way and if someone complains, take it down.

Last night I had added head tracking and while I can start a new game or load a saved game and it works fine (you can even look around during cinematics), it crashes when I finish the level or die/reload and the back trace is corrupt :P. I'll probably spend some more time tonight looking at it.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

So I've attached the version with head tracking support.

It's rather cool to be able to look around while in a cinematic. I force FOV to avoid possible head-ache inducing zooms.

It doesn't work right when the camera is facing down, rotations are not relative to the current camera orientation.

The crash I had earlier was that I forgot that the game code is actually in a DLL and apparently is loaded/unloaded each time there is a map change, so I had to route oculus sensor info through to the DLL :P.

For anyone with an Oculus Rift Dev Kit Have Fun!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ananas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ananas »

Any chance for Republic Commando?
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

Ananas wrote:Any chance for Republic Commando?
No. It's not open source.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I forgot to mention... to build from source, you need to copy the OculusSDK folder into the OpenJK folder, the code/JediAcademy.sln already builds and links against it.

For those that want to diff the source to see my changes, the code is based from revision 32cbb35 of https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK.
LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

I have another update.

It now find and displays on the Oculus Rift, so display mirroring shouldn't be necessary anymore. (This makes debugging issues so much easier)

I fixed rotation issues so now the head tracking moves the camera properly, relative to the orientation of the game camera, I also added to it an offset so head tracking rotates approximately around the head instead of rotating around the center point of the eyes. I had to use my own matrix/vector code from my vr-x project, since I didn't see anything available in the code that would have made this easier (maybe I missed something).

I'm experimenting with some changes that avoid/minimize animation updates when drawing both eyes. When the frame rate is low, I noticed the rendered contents of the right eye were changed from the left. I think there is still some tweaking to do with this, some things still look odd but most of the obvious stuff is fixed.

I started some work to try and get the better support for game controllers (right stick rotates the camera, left moves around), the buttons can be modified in the cfg file, couldn't find a good set up, might experiment with more different control schemes. Full game controller support is going to require some more work though, since UI doesn't really support it.
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Thank you very much for your work Leen! This week a huge batch of Rifts should ship to international Kickstarters, so I hope to get mine by the next week. And for sure, your mod is one of the first things I'm planning to play. I love Jedi Knight games so much...
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

My Rift will be delivered on Monday and I'm installing some games and demos. I've just tried Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast with this mod. I'm not sure if I've done it right, I have unpacked the contents of BIN folder inside both Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast folders. In Jedi Outcast it overwrites the game jkgamex86.dll file, but this file is not in Jedi Academy.

Jedi Academy crashes on launch with the typical "stopped working" error. Jedi Outcast loads perfectly, but I can't see the menus. Both games run fine from Steam.

LeeN
Cross Eyed!

Post by LeeN »

LordJuanlo wrote:My Rift will be delivered on Monday and I'm installing some games and demos. I've just tried Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast with this mod. I'm not sure if I've done it right, I have unpacked the contents of BIN folder inside both Jedi Academy and Jedi Outcast folders. In Jedi Outcast it overwrites the game jkgamex86.dll file, but this file is not in Jedi Academy.

Jedi Academy crashes on launch with the typical "stopped working" error. Jedi Outcast loads perfectly, but I can't see the menus. Both games run fine from Steam.
I have not ported my changes to Jedi Outcast, so I don't expect it to work right.

I have not tried to put the files in the Steam folder itself, I was concerned that Steam would overwrite them if it detected they were different or if some update occurred.

I'd recommend copying the contents of Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData\base to the uncompressed bin/base directory.

But if you need to save space and want to put them in the steam folder, you should put the files under:
Steam\steamapps\common\Jedi Academy\GameData

You should see identical files there and you should copy the config file openjk_sp.cfg from bin/base to GameData\base.

To run the game double click on jasp.exe, I don't know if it will work through Steam.

If for some reason you can't or don't want to run fullscreen edit openjk_sp.cfg and edit this line to say "0"
seta r_fullscreen "1"
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

Oh thanks, that explains it. Now it works perfectly. Can't wait for Monday, I will keep refreshing the UPS tracking page all day! By the way, do you know if it's possible to use a first person camera with the lightsaber? I press P but it does nothing.
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

As much as I love these old Jedi Knight games, i'd far rather see rift support added to Penumbra Overture, which also has its source code released

https://github.com/FrictionalGames

Get on it nerds!!!

:lol:
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I know this is unrelated, but I am wondering where I can buy the game and which version I would have to get.
Can someone please give me a link to the correct version of the game on Steam?

Keep up the good work!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

This is the Steam version I have. It works with LeeN's version.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/6020
LordJuanlo

Post by LordJuanlo »

I have finally received my Rift and have tested Jedi Academy. I really liked it! I wasn't expecting third person games to work so well in VR. I like what have you done with the camera. I will play with it in the next few days. Thank you very much for doing it LeeN!
mscoder610
Cross Eyed!

Post by mscoder610 »

Both Jedi Outcast and Jedi Academy are on sale on Steam ($3.39 each):
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6020
http://store.steampowered.com/app/6030

I'll definitely be trying this out once I get my Rift.
Ziggurat
Cross Eyed!

Post by Ziggurat »

OpenJK is a project that aims to take the newly released source code and fix bugs, as well enhance aspects of the game without modifying gameplay.

They have an open discussion about adding support for the Oculus Rift, its currently tagged as a wontfix, but the maintainers of the project seem to be very interested in trying to implement never the less. As this project aims to have an easily compilable and bugfree code, so I guess that this might be the best vantage point to get Oculus Rift running.

https://github.com/Razish/OpenJK/issues/83

Btw first post :)
Marulu
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Marulu »

I got the game running, good work!

Keep it up!

Visit my website! http://mushroomtomatoes.com/
Direlight

Post by Direlight »

Great job guys, this game had supremely good combat and stunning graphics for a Quake 3 engine title.

I did some researching, it also can be played with tri-def or nvidia nvision--which is cool since I just got a 3d monitor, but still waiting on the rift. Discussed here

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... 3d-vision/

This is a great game too for people with low end GPU.

If these s3d/rift modes work, might be cool to setup a server.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”