Running Epic citadel demo from UDK

lealjay
One Eyed Hopeful

Running Epic citadel demo from UDK

Post by lealjay »

Hi , i would like to know how must i do to run the oculus rift version of epic citadel demo from UDK please , thanks .
lnrrgb
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Running Epic citadel demo from UDK

Post by lnrrgb »

Once you install the UDK, you Open the epiccitadel.udk map (click File, click open, browse to UDKgame/content/maps/mobile folder), then once it is up an' running, you click the play / "on PC" button (toolbar). If you have your hardware all happy, you'll see it in the Rift.
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

There is no "mobile"-folder - and no "epiccitadel.udk" ... only a "first"-folder with "ExampleEntry.udk"

I downloaded the UDK from the oculus dev-center.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

UDK has multiple folder systems with the same naming conventions. I found that "first" folder, down within the "project templates" sub-structure. You probably need to back out a couple levels, and you'll find it.
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

RoTaToR wrote:There is no "mobile"-folder - and no "epiccitadel.udk" ... only a "first"-folder with "ExampleEntry.udk"

I downloaded the UDK from the oculus dev-center.

It sounds like you opted for the smaller of the two options you have at install. Delete your install and then reinstall UDK with the full samples option.

You also need to change the .ini file to run in stereo warp mode.

This is information on changing the .ini I obtained from elsewhere
Running the Rift in Unreal Citadel

1) Download the new UDK from the Oculus Developer site.
2) Go to the folder C:\UDK\UDK-2013-03\UDKGame\Config\ and edit the UDKEngine.ini, (back it up first of course)
3) In the [Engine.Stereo3D] section, change the bEnabled parameter = True
4) Optional: in the [Engine.Oculus] section, change the bEnableHud parameter = False, (as the hud is kind of messed up right now).
5) Run the UDKGame program that installed with the UDK, (should be an icon on your desktop).

UDKSystemSetting.ini YOu can also change these options to improve quality (assuming your card can handle it)

MaxAnisotropy=16
MaxMultiSamples=8
ResY=800
ScreenPercentage=100.000000 change to 150

Also, if you get tired of walking around, you should be able to press ` or ~ to activate the console. Then, you can type "fly" and hit enter, and escape if necessary to go back to the game. Then you can fly around instead of walking.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

my apologies if I steered you wrong, I only ever saw one UDK file for download there, @ 1.5gigs - if there was a smaller one in the past, I never saw it. But I'm interested in what that download is about. hmmmm.....
V8Griff
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by V8Griff »

lnrrgb wrote:my apologies if I steered you wrong, I only ever saw one UDK file for download there, @ 1.5gigs - if there was a smaller one in the past, I never saw it. But I'm interested in what that download is about. hmmmm.....
There's only one file to download but there are two options at install, one with sample content and one without.
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

mystery solved!
RoTaToR
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoTaToR »

ah, it was a wrong installation-setting... thx V8Griff

But is this a working version? The eyes are squint. (i mean the other side from cross-view). In the middel of the view is a lack of perspektive...

Riftcoaster works well, copying the config files to udk doesnt help... ^^
lealjay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by lealjay »

ok , thanks for your help :)
kludd70
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kludd70 »

RoTaToR wrote:ScreenPercentage=100.000000 change to 150
Thanks for that. It seems by default UDK is rendering at a much lower res being upscaled to the Rift. This makes it native as far as I can tell. Unfortunately, I'm getting a big lag increase when I do this, and it doesn't seem to be because my PC can't handle it.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

hey,
I'm wondering if there is a way to see the oculus rift mode on my regular screen without having a Rift connected? Something like a forced mode?
I tried Example Settings I could find, but it doesn't seem to work. If I enter "stereo on" or "hmdwarp on" just nothing happens.
The [Engine.Oculus] Settings are not set as well (bDisableHeadBob for example is set to true, but it is still there in game)

Thanks
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
Dakor

Post by Dakor »

Sorry for double post but this really hits my nerves..
Can someone please confirm, that you can activate the stereo render and hmdwarp only with a Rift connected? (unlike in unity where you can activate it always?)
I tried to activate in the UDK Rollercoaster by no success either.

I searched for it but could'nt find any answers..
thanks
Last edited by Dakor on Thu May 30, 2013 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
German blogger, enthusiast and developer.
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Yes I would like to know this too. Trying to get stuff setup so when I get my Rift I can just jump right into some action, EpicCitadel is something I definitely want to try!

I changed all the appropriate settings in the UDKengine.ini but when I type is stereo on or hmdwarp on it returns command not recognized error.

Do you need to have a Rift hooked up for these commands to work ?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help!
danielbln
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by danielbln »

The Engine will only ever switch into SBS, pre-warped mode when it can recognise a connected Rift tracker. So yeah, you guys will have to wait until you have your Rift.
yautjacetanu
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by yautjacetanu »

How do you make the demo actually work with all the people walking around? when I select the epiccitadel map it seems to just be a deathmatch

Return to “Oculus VR”