BackTrack VR

This is for discussion and development of non-commercial open source VR/AR projects (e.g. Kickstarter applicable, etc). Contact MTBS admins at customerservice@mtbs3d.com if you are unsure if your efforts qualify.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

BackTrack VR

Post by t0pquark »

What is it?

A torso position and rotation tracking system targeted towards seated or “standing in place” VR applications. More specifically, to enable leaning and limited rotation inside of a VR environment and to provide an in game connection point between the head tracking of an Oculus Rift and the absolute tracking of a Razor Hydra.

Design Goals

1) “good enough” position tracking to add to the Oculus Rift development kit.
2) Inexpensive.
3) Relatively simple and straight forward hardware.

How will it work?

Hardware - Four LEDs are placed onto a rigid “T” or cross shaped structure which is then worn on the users back; the LEDs are then tracked via a camera. This tracking concept has been clearly demonstrated many times (Johnny Chung Lee, et al).

Software - An extension of the Oculus “neck modeling” to include “torso modeling”.

Why is this worn on the back?

With any optical (camera based) system, one of the big issues is occlusion, which is when the camera doing the tracking can no longer see the points it is attempting to track. A tracker worn on the front of your torso can easily be blocked when bending forward to interact with a virtual object, when crouching down, or while using an arm/hand tracking device such as the Razor Hydra, Leap Motion, etc. A tracker worn on the back of your torso doesn’t share these restrictions.

In addition, the real world movements of an individual’s torso are much more limited and less precise than head movements. Attempting positional tracking via markers on an individual’s head means you first must go through the process of duplicating fairly accurate head tracking and then work out the body position afterwards based on the determined head pose. Since it’s a fair assumption that an individual’s head will be attached to a torso, tracking the torso directly should be a less complex way to achieve good results for head positioning.

Usage assumptions

1) User has an HMD and head tracking method is already established.
2) Seated or standing in place VR. (seated VR requires low back chair or stool)
3) < 180 degree user torso rotation
4) ~6ft of clear space behind the user to mount camera.
5) The tracking structure should be attached/positioned so as to not be affected by independent shoulder movement.

How expensive will it be to make one?

The hardware needed to build such a device can generally be purchased for <$50 USD.
Two potential hardware solutions are:
• Inferred LEDs and a Wii-mote (advantages: built-in image processing, wireless).
• Visible LEDS and a PS3 Eye (advantages: higher native res, no batteries, no Bluetooth syncing).
Also needed:
1) An adjustable, form fitting vest or harness.
2) A rigid mounting surface for the precise placement of LEDs. (Aluminum, MDF, plastic)
3) The tracking LEDs need power; batteries would be best, but they could also be wired (USB, AC adaptor).

Additional thoughts on rotation

By default, the system would only be used to rotate the in game torso, but not actually change the in game heading.

360 degree in-game rotation could be possible, but would need to be handled through some adapted control mechanism:
  • a) Rotation being mapped in the same manner as a gamepad’s right thumbstick.
    b) Rotating away from center is scaled greater than rotating towards center.
360 degree real world rotation could be possible, but would need to be handled through additional tracking cameras. However, this is not a primary goal of this implementation.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: BackTrack VR

Post by t0pquark »

[Reserved for 3d mockup images]
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by t0pquark »

I’m currently in the middle of planning/getting ready for a wedding, and still waiting for my Rift, so who knows how much time I’ll have to work on this in the near term.

Still, I wanted to put the idea out here as both a place holder, and in case someone who already has the hardware and knowledge thinks it would be an interesting thing to tinker with in the meantime.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by t0pquark »

hah - well, I had to call it something ;)

Good thing it's more DIY concept than actual product, otherwise I'd have to throw away all my office stationary and letterhead :lol:
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

If you have some good math skills, you might find this idea useful:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=115079

The modifications to the above idea would be:
  • Make it a shoulder-brace with two LEDs on each shoulder
  • Add an IMU (just an accelerometer and gyro are needed)
  • Mount the camera on the ceiling instead of behind you
Makes full 360 tracking dead simple (heck, any tracking), there are fewer LEDs to lose sight of, etc.

And if you have a Leap or a Duo as your camera, positional tracking is down-right trivial with only one LED.
t0pquark
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by t0pquark »

Thanks for the reply Zalo! Looks like you've had some good input in a number of tracking related threads. Do you have a build thread started somewhere?

Also - with this build I was specifically trying not have to add more hardware to the mix, and to try and get something people with limited knowledge could put together as a first step. As with most geeky endevures, there's usually no upper bound to the amount of complexity that COULD be added ;-)
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

I have a shipment of very cheap wireless Wii sensor bars coming that I intend to mount to my rift. Hopefully they're light enough not to ruin the experience. I'll then use a PS3 Eye to do the tracking.

If I can get the math and tracking good enough, I'll make a thread. I just have to figure out how to pipe the rift's sensor fusion's roll data into processing for my initial demo. Thankfully, someone posted a java library in the rift dev forums a while back.

Return to “VR/AR Research & Development”