Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ sound

boone188
Cross Eyed!

Re: Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster?

Post by boone188 »

pizzy00 wrote:It was fun even though warp is not on. Stereo seemed to be off a bit too. The birds in the distance looked weird. Great job so far. Did you use the Oculus UDK? I wasn't sure if there is a special UDK for Oculus.
Thanks.

If the stereo is off, you can try changing the IPD:
- open the console with the ~ key
- type the command "stereo e=0.0623" or whatever your IPD is..

I did use the Oculus UDK.
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

geekmaster wrote:As I mentioned previously, the birds in the distance are only in the left eye. That is weird...
I may be crazy, but I thought I noticed this same issue in the standard EpicCitadel map...
Actually I justed tested the standard map and I have the same issue, so it's probably not specific to boone188's roller coaster.
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

I believe(aka worked for me) if you edit these two locations/files it should enable the Rift warp by default;

UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini

Code: Select all

[Engine.Stereo3D]
bEnabled=True
It originally reads False.

UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini

[SystemSettings]
DepthOfField=True
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

ften wrote:UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKSystemSettings.ini

[SystemSettings]
DepthOfField=True
This seems really strange to me. This really shouldn't have any effect on the barrel distortion. I had disabled it because it has a pretty big impact on performance.
BloodShed
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by BloodShed »

geekmaster wrote:And those birds flying around up in the sky are only in the left eye view, not the right eye.
Nate already pointed this out as a bug in the engine/demo.

...even if he described it as "blurry as heck". :lol:
mrklaw
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by mrklaw »

geekmaster wrote:I can see that your solution prevents the potential risk of a roller coaster going in circles causing strangulation from the RiftDK (and headphone) cables wrapping around your neck... :o

But it is still jarring to lose control like that without vestibular feedback when the coaster turns, not under your own control. Perhaps this experience teaches us that we need gradual turns, when not from user-controlled steering.

They aren't entirely unexpected though. You are on a roller coaster so you expect sudden changes in direction, plus if you see the tack you can anticipate turns and dips etc.

I don't see how it would work otherwise. Even if it let you stay looking forward you'd soon hit the limit of your neck articulation and your view would be forced to move anyway
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

Its the same situation in a car game right? If your body moves the view has to move with it, otherwise its really unnatural.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Yeah and if you ever got inverted (it's coming) it would totally break otherwise, because the cart would be above your head, unless you actually inverted your head.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

I really, really wish i could afford a rift right now : D
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I guess the problem is that with head tracking, you may not be looking forward to anticipate unfelt turns. With no head tracking, you must look forward. It makes a difference.
OmniAtlas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OmniAtlas »

Can't wait to try this out with my Butt Kicker 2

http://www.thebuttkicker.com/gaming/

I'll be able to feel the rumbles :)
lnrrgb

Post by lnrrgb »

well... first off, PHew!!!!!!!...... I knew my 50" Samsung plasma was right behind me, but I just had to try this thing while sitting in my roller rocker recliner. Sure enough, BAM!!!! LOL Got lucky though! Pretty fun in one of those things, just make sure you have some room to open it up:) Do they make tilta-roller rocker recliners....... cuz it would be worth it if they did!!! Maybe convert one of those zero-gravity recliners somehow? Just keep it away from the plasma, that's all I'm saying!
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

OmniAtlas wrote:Can't wait to try this out with my Butt Kicker 2

hey that's cool! i might have to try that out.. this plus interactor... Booooooooooom
How do you like it?
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

I guess I will need to include force feedback!
Rickardo69
Cross Eyed!

Post by Rickardo69 »

Hey boone188

Just tried out Rift Coaster on triple screen wooooooooooo
if im getting vertigo watching on monitor/s what the hell am i going to be like with the Rift

Awesome mate , really nice job even if rift viewers are experiancing blurryness and it needs tweeking :shock:
Machinima
Cross Eyed!

Post by Machinima »

HeadTrip wrote:Video or it didn't happen Cymatic ;)
Those exact words went though my head when reading his post :lol:
AngelJ
Cross Eyed!

Post by AngelJ »

This was very cool, but it bugs me that the camera isn't attached to the cart. I don't think anyone else has mentioned that so far.

Edit: Nevermind, I think that may be what's being discussed above.
OmniAtlas
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by OmniAtlas »

HeadTrip wrote:
OmniAtlas wrote:Can't wait to try this out with my Butt Kicker 2

hey that's cool! i might have to try that out.. this plus interactor... Booooooooooom
How do you like it?
Its awesome, works with any video game, movies, etc.

I use it specifically for flight sim. I can feel the 'bumps' of the runway and when the engines roar.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

I asked the NoLimits people about plans for Rift support, and this was their response:

<<Will the NoLimits Rollercoaster Simulator support the Oculus Rift virtual reality HMD?>>

Unfortunately not, sorry.

Many Regards,
Joerg
NoLimits Support
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Zoide wrote:I asked the NoLimits people about plans for Rift support, and this was their response:

<<Will the NoLimits Rollercoaster Simulator support the Oculus Rift virtual reality HMD?>>

Many Regards,
Joerg
NoLimits Support
Well poop.
TheGravach
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by TheGravach »

Way to go boone! Love it. What asset kit did you use?

I agree with Cymatic (thanks for the help with the UDK .ini file instructions - spot on!) keep designing more and more over the top coasters! You are really good at it and I want to see great new ones from you on this thread!

Cheers!
Drambles
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Drambles »

This is really cool. I love swiveling around in my seat during the drops and climbs! I think if the speed slowed down a tad (and maybe even stuttered a bit) during the steep climbs, it would be even more intense. Great work!
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Wow, totally awesome. My jaw definitely drops going over the top. One of the best Rift experiences so far.

In addition to:
UDKEngine.ini
[Engine.Stereo3D]
bEnabled=True

I also used:
UDKSystemSetting.ini
DepthOfField=True
ScreenPercentage=150.000000
ResY=800

Putting ScreenPercentage at 150 or 200 really improves the graphics quality.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This is a good one.
zerax
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by zerax »

Zoide wrote:I asked the NoLimits people about plans for Rift support, and this was their response:

Many Regards,
Joerg
NoLimits Support
I asked the same question to the guys behind the new KickStarter "Theme Park Studio"
http://kck.st/YgP4Lq

They responded:

Hello ZeRax,

Thank you for your suggestions about Oculus Rift HMD. I sent them an email today, and tweeted.

Would you be interested in sending them a tweet, letting them know about our title? I think once they get word, doors will open, if we support their device.

Thanks again
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

zerax wrote:

Many Regards,
Joerg
NoLimits Support
I asked the same question to the guys behind the new KickStarter "Theme Park Studio"

They responded:

Hello ZeRax,

Thank you for your suggestions about Oculus Rift HMD. I sent them an email today, and tweeted.

Would you be interested in sending them a tweet, letting them know about our title? I think once they get word, doors will open, if we support their device.

Thanks again
This is awesome! If they are open to adding rift support, it should be pretty smooth sailing. Well, actually, it could be quite a bit of work, IF they go for full support. By full support I mean a Rift-enabled editor. That definitely wouldn't be plug-and-play. But to just include Rift support for actually riding the rides, it should be a piece of cake.

Adding Rift support could really help accelerate their kickstarter! I totally want to see this game get made, so I'm backing it no matter what.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Re: Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ s

Post by boone188 »

So I updated with the sound-enabled version. The sound isn't particularly well done, but it's certainly better than silence. I also enabled DOF, because it's required to enable other post-processing in UE3 :roll:. I did reduce the effect so that it's not visible, though. Now the pre-warp should "just work". Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the birds..

While I'm really tempted to continue improving upon this coaster, I'm going to move on to bigger and better "rides". I think my biggest problem right now is having too many ideas..
corysama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by corysama »

From Cymatic's video, this looks great! Unfortunately, when I try to download it from https://s3.amazonaws.com/RiftCoaster/UD ... oaster.exe I get "Access Denied".
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

corysama wrote:From Cymatic's video, this looks great! Unfortunately, when I try to download it from https://s3.amazonaws.com/RiftCoaster/UD ... oaster.exe I get "Access Denied".
Doh! It's public again now. Sorry about that. Enjoy!
corysama
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by corysama »

boone188 wrote:
corysama wrote:From Cymatic's video, this looks great! Unfortunately, when I try to download it from https://s3.amazonaws.com/RiftCoaster/UD ... oaster.exe I get "Access Denied".
Doh! It's public again now. Sorry about that. Enjoy!

That was awesome! Thanks!
Kerry
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Kerry »

boone188 wrote:So I updated with the sound-enabled version. The sound isn't particularly well done, but it's certainly better than silence. I also enabled DOF, because it's required to enable other post-processing in UE3 :roll:. I did reduce the effect so that it's not visible, though. Now the pre-warp should "just work". Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the birds..

While I'm really tempted to continue improving upon this coaster, I'm going to move on to bigger and better "rides". I think my biggest problem right now is having too many ideas..
Can't wait to see what you come up with next!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

boone188 wrote:... Now the pre-warp should "just work". Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the birds..
Bummer! Couldn't you add in some matching synchronized RIGHT-EYE birds to go with those LEFT-EYE birds?
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

geekmaster wrote:
boone188 wrote:... Now the pre-warp should "just work". Unfortunately, I had to get rid of the birds..
Bummer! Couldn't you add in some matching synchronized RIGHT-EYE birds to go with those LEFT-EYE birds?
I'm sure it can be fixed, but it would be exceedingly difficult for me to test and debug without actually having a Rift. So it will just have to go on the back burner for a while.
topas
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by topas »

boone188 wrote:
zerax wrote:

Many Regards,
Joerg
NoLimits Support

They responded:

Hello ZeRax,

Thanks again
This is awesome! If they are open to adding rift support, it should be pretty smooth sailing. Well, actually, it could be quite a bit of work, IF they go for full support. By full support I mean a Rift-enabled editor. That definitely wouldn't be plug-and-play. But to just include Rift support for actually riding the rides, it should be a piece of cake.

Adding Rift support could really help accelerate their kickstarter! I totally want to see this game get made, so I'm backing it no matter what.

Wow, this is awesome! Just backed the Engineer level - hoping they will add Rift support...! :woot
Parallaxis
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by Parallaxis »

Rift support will easily buy them a few hundred backers from mtbs3d alone...
www.AwesomeBlade.com
mindless
Cross Eyed!

Post by mindless »

I don't even have a rift, and i enjoyed your demo.

now if only you could pair this up with a system that messes with your vestibular response, to give you the sensation of leaning/acceleration. now that would be a killer app.
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

Can't wait to test it with sound after work.
3dcoffee
Cross Eyed!

Post by 3dcoffee »

zerax wrote:I asked the same question to the guys behind the new KickStarter "Theme Park Studio"

They responded:

Hello ZeRax,

Thanks again
No Rift support -- no deal from me.
rmcclelland

Post by rmcclelland »

Thanks boone188!

The updated version with sound is AWESOME. I try to move my body with the car. This could seriously be a game, roller coasting through all different time periods and environments. Having knights walking around the castle would add a lot IMHO. Feels kinda lonely in there.

Thanks again. ScreenPercentage=200.000000 makes it look MUCH better if you have the hardware for it.

Return to “Oculus VR”