Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ sound

boone188
Cross Eyed!

Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster? now w/ sound

Post by boone188 »

RiftCoaster has been downloaded 20,000+ times. Because of the high demand, I had to switch to a new download link: https://mega.co.nz/#!MRI1Da7D!YSRtoVW86 ... 6VBaqVP8j8
-----------
I've heard a lot of talk about roller coaster simulations for the rift, but as far as I can tell, nobody has actually tried it. I needed a little starter project to me get up to speed in UDK. So I basically took the epic citadel and plopped a little roller coaster on it. Nothing fancy. Just a proof of concept.

The only problem is I don't actually have a rift yet. So I am hoping that someone with a rift can try it out and tell me if it works.

Thanks for helping! Hope it doesn't make you puke.

[EDIT] Added sound ;) Removed birds :cry:
Last edited by boone188 on Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Re: Can someone with a rift test my roller coaster?

Post by pizzy00 »

I would be happy to test this tonight.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

I am downloading it now, I will have some impressions for you in a little bit.

In the meantime, let me put my garbage can closer to my desk.... :lol:
Cymatic Bruce, VR Evangelist, Developer Relations @ Qualia3d
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Sorry about the large file size. I'm sure I could cut that by a factor of 5. But I'm more concerned with making sure the rift support works for now.
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

Dude. YES.

This was a blast, the sense of vertigo at the first drop was killer, and the surprise near the end... SWEET!

One thing, when it started it did not start in 3D with HMDWarp on - I had to adjust that in the console. Do you have it set in your config files?

Having the roller coaster ride all through epic citadel is also wonderful - there is so much to look at while you ride. Makes it feel like a medieval amusement park.
Wow, I feel like I just got off a roller coaster and I didn't leave my chair. Awesome job!

--Cymatic Bruce
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

Video or it didn't happen Cymatic ;) Can't wait to try this sometime soon!
Any motion sickness?
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Thanks Cymatic! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's kind of hard to build something without ever being able to see it and test it yourself. I tried to do the needful in the config files, but I guess I missed something. What did you have to change?

Do you think I should expand on this concept? Bigger, better, coasters? Do you think thrill rides will be better, or maybe moody dark rides (Pirates of the Caribbean)?
BOLL
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by BOLL »

Hah! I want to see a video of this :woot then also with a person experiencing it! Currently I only have access to a mac so I can't try it even without a devkit :|
Mystify
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Mystify »

How does it compare to a real roller coaster? /skeptical
3DByte
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DByte »

Hi boone, that looks great even without a Rift.
Maybe you can check out the demo of NoLimits Rollercoaster to get more inspirations?
ften
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ften »

That is awesome, when the roller coaster bottoms out after the first drop I could almost feel it in my stomach, like a real roller coaster. I found myself leaning around the turns. I really works well with the Rift.
You just need the roller coaster wheel clacking sound.

I also just edited the BaseEngine.ini Engine.Stereo3D to True so I didn't have to do it through the console.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

ften wrote:That is awesome, when the roller coaster bottoms out after the first drop I could almost feel it in my stomach, like a real roller coaster. I found myself leaning around the turns. I really works well with the Rift.
You just need the roller coaster wheel clacking sound.
I definitely plan on adding the clacking sound, and wind. I also need to make a real car. It was just easy grabbing the pre-existing cart. Is it weird being a disembodied head? I want to add a body as well.

I also just edited the BaseEngine.ini Engine.Stereo3D to True so I didn't have to do it through the console.[/quote]
Thanks. I can make that the default.
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

3DByte wrote:Hi boone, that looks great even without a Rift.
Maybe you can check out the demo of NoLimits Rollercoaster to get more inspirations?
I'm a big fan of NoLimits. If Rift support was added for NoLimits I would be sooo happy. Since people seem to enjoy this, I will make some more fleshed-out coasters. I haven't even tried a loop or barrel roll yet!
Cymatic
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Cymatic »

HeadTrip wrote:Video or it didn't happen Cymatic ;) Can't wait to try this sometime soon!
Any motion sickness?
None, just the pleasant light-headedness that has been typical of cool Rift experiences lately. XD
boone188 wrote:Thanks Cymatic! I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's kind of hard to build something without ever being able to see it and test it yourself. I tried to do the needful in the config files, but I guess I missed something. What did you have to change?

Do you think I should expand on this concept? Bigger, better, coasters? Do you think thrill rides will be better, or maybe moody dark rides (Pirates of the Caribbean)?
Yes, expand on this. Everyone is right regarding the sound - I want to hear the click-clack going up the hill, and the awesome sounds as you get whipped around!

Go full theme park with this. The sky is the limit - A dragon could land on the track and "eat" you, or break a section of the track for a surprise jump. XD

As for the config file, I would recommend:
ften wrote: I also just edited the BaseEngine.ini Engine.Stereo3D to True so I didn't have to do it through the console.
The console commands I used were stereo3D on and hmdwarp on.
Mystify wrote:How does it compare to a real roller coaster? /skeptical
Its all in your head! It can't compare to being physically whipped around, but if I experienced this on a motion platform I would have a hard time telling the difference. Significant vertigo at the top of the first drop though, for sure!
3DByte
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3DByte »

boone188 wrote: If Rift support was added for NoLimits I would be sooo happy.
There is a mail adress on their site. Maybe I will mail them later to consider Rift support.
rhinosix
Cross Eyed!

Post by rhinosix »

This sounds like a great result from what you guys are saying - a sense of vertigo, and feeling yourself lean around corners. I wasn't expecting this. I was thinking you'd need some kind of hardware to move your body around like the Simpsons ride at Universal.

It's cool that you get the feeling of being on a rollercoaster with the Rift alone.

Do you go upside-down at any point?
HeadTrip
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by HeadTrip »

oowwww cant wait!!! I have this bad boy sitting and waiting to strap on or around the back of my chair...
Might be a great use for rollercoasting...

Aura Interactor
Last edited by HeadTrip on Mon Apr 15, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

How do you enter those commands in the console? In my console '~' it gives error messages for them...
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

geekmaster wrote:How do you enter those commands in the console? In my console '~' it gives error messages for them...
I get error messages when trying to enter the commands as well, but I was assuming that was because I don't have a rift connected.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

The answers were in the OculusVR forum:
~
stereo
hmdwarp on
~
It works for me.

But the FoV is not correct, so things do not move quite right when I rotate my head.

And for some reason it takes away control and rotates me 180-degrees, like at the top of the climb just after turning the corner...

And those birds flying around up in the sky are only in the left eye view, not the right eye.

But it is fun even so, although taking away head control is a bad thing for demoing this to non-VR people...

It is a GREAT work in progress. Please keep us posted!

EDIT: I just tried running it again with my Rift not connected, and those commands are not "recognized", so this game must rely on the RiftDK EDID (monitor identification) information.
RedWorm
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by RedWorm »

Mirrors please!
zella
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by zella »

link has generated too much traffic, cant download. can you host somewhere else please
Pingles
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Pingles »

Cymatic wrote: None, just the pleasant light-headedness that has been typical of cool Rift experiences lately. XD
"Rift high"
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

zella wrote:link has generated too much traffic, cant download. can you host somewhere else please
Sorry about that. I didn't know about this limitation of DropBox. I am going to take our the middle man and host it in my own S3 bucket.
JayJay
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by JayJay »

Oh my lord, that was awesome hahahaha, exellent job man! :)
"Creating the world's most immersive virtual reality erotic encounters @ http://www.wickedparadise.com"
LazyDodo
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by LazyDodo »

For some reason the hmdwarp shader refuses to activate, it takes the command just fine. there's just no visual difference while in any of the standard udk levels you see the barrel distortion instantly. However even without the proper distortion WHOHA! THAT WAS FUN!!
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

geekmaster wrote:The answers were in the OculusVR forum:
~
stereo
hmdwarp on
~
It works for me.

But the FoV is not correct, so things do not move quite right when I rotate my head.

And for some reason it takes away control and rotates me 180-degrees, like at the top of the climb just after turning the corner...

And those birds flying around up in the sky are only in the left eye view, not the right eye.

But it is fun even so, although taking away head control is a bad thing for demoing this to non-VR people...

It is a GREAT work in progress. Please keep us posted!

EDIT: I just tried running it again with my Rift not connected, and those commands are not "recognized", so this game must rely on the RiftDK EDID (monitor identification) information.
I believe you can use the "fov 110" command to change the fov. Or you can modify it within UDKEngine.ini (I should make this the default).

Right now your view is always relative to the cart. If your head it turned to the right, you should be looking to the right of the cart. I know that taking control of the users view goes against the first commandment of VR, but it's just how a roller coaster works. I am definitely open to suggestions though.

Thanks for trying it!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I can see that your solution prevents the potential risk of a roller coaster going in circles causing strangulation from the RiftDK (and headphone) cables wrapping around your neck... :o

But it is still jarring to lose control like that without vestibular feedback when the coaster turns, not under your own control. Perhaps this experience teaches us that we need gradual turns, when not from user-controlled steering.
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Apr 15, 2013 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
museumsteve
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by museumsteve »

Pretty sure NoLimits also has motion support with programs like x-sim3 that would be amazing with Rift aswell :D
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

Ok. I cut out the middle man. Here is the direct S3 link:

https://s3.amazonaws.com/RiftCoaster/UD ... oaster.exe

I will update the OP too. It should be pretty fast (it only takes about a second for me).
jayoh
Cross Eyed!

Post by jayoh »

LazyDodo wrote:For some reason the hmdwarp shader refuses to activate
same issue here. looks okay, just not optimal.
zalo
Certif-Eyed!

Post by zalo »

LazyDodo wrote:For some reason the hmdwarp shader refuses to activate, it takes the command just fine. there's just no visual difference while in any of the standard udk levels you see the barrel distortion instantly. However even without the proper distortion WHOHA! THAT WAS FUN!!
+1 to all those sentiments!
defactoman
Cross Eyed!

Post by defactoman »

Yea same here, hmdwarp doesn't want to engage.
kenohki
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by kenohki »

No warping for me either.
I did have a go around a few times, to this forum, and then back on the coaster again before I even noticed something was a little odd. It really didn't distract too much.
It's going to be one of the highlights of my demo material tomorrow :D
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

kenohki wrote:No warping for me either.
I did have a go around a few times, to this forum, and then back on the coaster again before I even noticed something was a little odd. It really didn't distract too much.
It's going to be one of the highlights of my demo material tomorrow :D
Woot! That's so nice to hear. My hard work seems to have paid off!
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

zalo wrote:
LazyDodo wrote:For some reason the hmdwarp shader refuses to activate, it takes the command just fine. there's just no visual difference while in any of the standard udk levels you see the barrel distortion instantly. However even without the proper distortion WHOHA! THAT WAS FUN!!
+1 to all those sentiments!
The only thing worse than having to wait for the rift: needing to debug a feature that is only enabled by plugging in the rift, and not having access to the code!

If I can figure out what is going on I will definitely get it fixed asap. If you want to help debugging, here is the first thing I would do:

- Open \UDK\UDK-2013-03\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
- Copy everything below [Engine.Engine] into \UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config\UDKEngine.ini
- Copy all the other .ini files from \UDK\UDK-2013-03\UDKGame\Config to \UDK\RiftCoaster\UDKGame\Config
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I think hmdwarp worked for me, but only with the RiftDK plugged in. At least, it looked good and I did not notice any distortion, so it must have been working correctly...

I think it may have activated automatically or something the second time I started it in my Rift. I don't know, but it just started, looking good, without typing any commands...
Last edited by geekmaster on Mon Apr 15, 2013 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pizzy00
Cross Eyed!

Post by pizzy00 »

It was fun even though warp is not on. Stereo seemed to be off a bit too. The birds in the distance looked weird. Great job so far. Did you use the Oculus UDK? I wasn't sure if there is a special UDK for Oculus.
Check out this forum for a beta driver to get existing games working with the Rift.
Official Vireio Perception Driver Forum http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpbb/viewforum.php?f=141
Support these games on Steam Greenlight them http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... d=92979040
Rig Specs - MS Windows Ultimate, i5 3470, 16 GB RAM, 2x AMD 1GB 5850 HD crossfired, SATA2 HD
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

As I mentioned previously, the birds in the distance are only in the left eye. That is weird...
boone188
Cross Eyed!

Post by boone188 »

I really like the birds, so I will have to figure out what's wrong with them and fix it. The birds are staying!

Return to “Oculus VR”