benq w1070 - 1080p 3d projector - $1100

Share your experiences and learn about big-screen 3D gaming.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

benq w1070 - 1080p 3d projector - $1100

Post by seattledesi »

pretty good price point.
1080p 24hz 3d for movies
720p 120hz 3d for games

http://www.benq.us/product/projector/w1070

Any one with review comments?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: benq w1070 - 1080p 3d projector - $1100

Post by cybereality »

Sounds like a decent product, though I don't know much about it.

1080P is nice though, at least for video, and the price isn't bad.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

We already discussed about it in another thread, one guy bought it but he had a problem of non-uniform brightness on both sides of the projection. He contacted Benq who basically said that it was within the expected capabilities of the projector, which is quite a shame. I've seen at least two other people who experienced the same problem in my country (France).

I've read a lot of extremely good reviews about it by very knowledgeable people, it's quite rare to see such a consensus for any type of device. I was really tempted to buy it but some people have experienced several problems, here is a list of what I remember :
- non-uniform brightness on both sides of the projection ;
- red color shift due to the DLP Link flash it seems (red on this model), which doesn't happen for everyone but seem to happen in 2D or in 3D ;
- problems with some HDMI input devices (HTPCs, Xbox 360), but it's not clear if the problem is with the sources, the projector or external perturbations. People experiencing this problem have tested with several HDMI cables without success ;
- short throw, which can be nice for a small room but not so for a big one (you basically need to place it in front of you) ;
- not compatible with 120Hz glasses, you need 144Hz ones (Sainsonic seem quite good and cheap) ;
- 3D effect less impressive than the recent Sony 3LCD, but still as good as other DLP projectors, no idea why it's not as good as the Sony (which has ghosting, contrary to the Benq) ;
- and last but not least, it's almost impossible to find (they had only 1000 models available for Europe at launch, all sold very quickly).

So basically from what I've read it's the best sub $1000 3D projector available. From most reviews even better than most $2000 projectors, so it's really the best choice that can be made for full HD 3D projection. But you need to be lucky not to pick a faulty model. I don't know if it's frequent, people with problems are always more vocal than others.

As I said I was very tempted to buy one but I'll wait at least a month more to see how things are going, I'm still regularly monitoring forums to get more infos.
seattledesi
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by seattledesi »

thanks for the great summary Fredz. Please keep us posted on what else u hear.
butmunch
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by butmunch »

Fredz wrote:We already discussed about it in another thread, one guy bought it but he had a problem of non-uniform brightness on both sides of the projection. He contacted Benq who basically said that it was within the expected capabilities of the projector, which is quite a shame. I've seen at least two other people who experienced the same problem in my country (France).

I've read a lot of extremely good reviews about it by very knowledgeable people, it's quite rare to see such a consensus for any type of device. I was really tempted to buy it but some people have experienced several problems, here is a list of what I remember :
- non-uniform brightness on both sides of the projection ;
- red color shift due to the DLP Link flash it seems (red on this model), which doesn't happen for everyone but seem to happen in 2D or in 3D ;
- problems with some HDMI input devices (HTPCs, Xbox 360), but it's not clear if the problem is with the sources, the projector or external perturbations. People experiencing this problem have tested with several HDMI cables without success ;
- short throw, which can be nice for a small room but not so for a big one (you basically need to place it in front of you) ;
- not compatible with 120Hz glasses, you need 144Hz ones (Sainsonic seem quite good and cheap) ;
- 3D effect less impressive than the recent Sony 3LCD, but still as good as other DLP projectors, no idea why it's not as good as the Sony (which has ghosting, contrary to the Benq) ;
- and last but not least, it's almost impossible to find (they had only 1000 models available for Europe at launch, all sold very quickly).

So basically from what I've read it's the best sub $1000 3D projector available. From most reviews even better than most $2000 projectors, so it's really the best choice that can be made for full HD 3D projection. But you need to be lucky not to pick a faulty model. I don't know if it's frequent, people with problems are always more vocal than others.

As I said I was very tempted to buy one but I'll wait at least a month more to see how things are going, I'm still regularly monitoring forums to get more infos.

Hmm.
Enlarged the part that interests me as i have just had issues with benq over there inspec bright half and dim half on a w710st, according to benq the fault is in spec and they will not replace or refund! ???

Place of sale refunded me in full after nearly 3 months so ended well but i have no good words for Benq.
Samsung ps51e6500, Acer h5360bd + 80" fixed screen
Sli Gigabyte gtx670 Windforce x3
Intel 3770k Oc'd + Noctua Nh-D14
Asus Sabertooth Z77
8gb 2133mhz Crucial Smart Tracers Oc'd
Ocz Vertex 4 128gb
1tb Samsung F3
Coolermaster HafX
Demciflex full Magnetic Filter Set

Home 5.1 Surround Sound
Coolermaster Sirus 5.1 Headset
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Ah thanks for clarifying that bit, I incorrectly thought that you experienced this problem on the W1070 when it was with the W710ST instead.

But I have seen other people suffering from the same problem on a french forum with the W1070, so I guess the end result will be the same when dealing with BenQ.
RoadKillGrill
Cross Eyed!

Post by RoadKillGrill »

I just bought one, I'll try to leave some feedback after playing with it for a week.

Return to “3D Projectors”