My first computer

Talk about everything off topic (EXCEPT POLITICS). Keep it fun!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

My first computer

Post by Freke1 »

1. PC (1993):
a 33Mhz CPU
4Mb RAM
no graphics card
80Mb harddisc
Win ver. 3.1
price: 2000$
speed: slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwwwww

Later I got a Voodoo 2 graphics card with 12Mb RAM so I could play Battlezone for hours and hours in 640*480 and with DirectX 5.0. Great game.
I LIKE PROGRESS :D (man computers were slow back then).
sharky
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by sharky »

:) (amiga doesn't count right?)

1st pc:
1998 ,
msi K7 700 mhz
128 mb ram (later 192 Mb)
sound blaster (basic toilet version)
old ati GPU with 128 mb ram
7 gb of hd (then later 47 and then 147)
hp (cant remember the version.. think 710 C but not shure.)
monitor nec multisync (first flat crt monitor.. at the time 1.000.000 lire (today is is 530 euro, but at the time that was the same like 1000 euro today)

total cost: 3.000.000 lire (including monitor, desk and printer)
Adam Savage: "I reject your reality and substitute it for my own."
Jamie Hyneman: "It's really cool, but really unusual."

Neil

Post by Neil »

You guys started off advanced!

My first computer was a Commodore Vic-20. And THEN I advanced to a TRS-80 Model I (black and white monitor, no sound unless you knew how to hack it, 128 X 128 blocky screen pixels, and a cassette deck for storage).

Next came an IBM PC XT Compatible...with pirated IBM BIOS.

CGA graphics (a whopping FOUR COLORS on the screen at once, with SIXTEEN to choose from!)
An amber monitor
My first 5.25" floppy drive
An ON/OFF switch made with an ignition key (yes, I had to turn a key to turn my computer on!).

Regards,
Neil
sharky

Post by sharky »

wich years where they? sounds unbelivable.. vool things...

Neil

Post by Neil »

Well, the TRS-80 was a 1978 computer, but I got it as a hand-me-down gift from my Uncle AFTER I had the Vic-20. The Vic-20 dates back to 1981 for me. 3.5KB....I had to save up for the 16KB RAM expansion card.

I got the IBM in '86 I think - and that too was a hand-me-down.

You can't really have computer hand-me-downs the way you used to.

Neil
Aeroflux
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by Aeroflux »

I started with a 286 16MHz with 1.2MB of RAM and a 40MB HDD...I remember it took me a day just to figure out how to view the contents of a directory (DOS 3.0).

I miss those days...simple hardware and great games. The advant of Soundblaster and Future Crew. The glory days of Interplay, Origin, Sierra...

Some of the most memorable games I played:

Sylpheed -The first game I installed on a PC. Not much of a shooter, but very nostalgic appeal. I still have the entire box, contents and all.

Wolfenstein 3D -shock dropped me into 3D gaming, what a rush!

Duke Nuke'm 3D -excellent level design, been a while since I wanted to keep playing just to see what the next level was like.

Descent series -the ultimate 3D shooter! This game was light years ahead of the rest, for it's time of course.

Wing Commander series -Incredible sci-fi story with a deep space sim. This deserved far more than what hit the box office.

Ultima series -back then this was THE fantasy series to play. Excellent story and art design.

Sorcerian -It's been so long but this was an obsession of mine. RPG characters that actually aged, even had children. It was mostly a side-scrolling action/adventure game, but unique items and the ongoing story made me skip school and stay up late.

Conan the Cimmerian -visually impressive for its time, and back in the days when I thought Arnold was cool.

F-16 Combat Pilot -The first flight sim I ever played. Highly addictive.

Out of this World -still one of the best side-scrolling adventures in my opinion. The cinematic presentation of this game was unparalleled at the time.

X-Com: UFO Defense -The most addictive and deep turn-based strategy I've ever played.

Prince of Persia -another excellent side-scrolling adventure.

The Elder Scrolls: Arena -If my blood could yield up time spent on games this would account for a large percentage. Luckily I was in the hospital getting my noggin patched up when this hit the streets. I spent recovery playing this game. Still haven't beat it. Just epic sense of adventure and action. I can still recall some of the midi tunes.
Daggerfall, the next in line, was mo' betta' with a huge world to travel in.

Now that I think of roleplaying, World of Xeen, D&D adventures, Baldur's Gate come to mind.

Too many games...I wish I had the time to play them again.
sharky

Post by sharky »

Duke Nuke'm 3D -excellent level design, been a while since I wanted to keep playing just to see what the next level was like.

ahahah i loved when he said "I HAVE BALLS OF STEEL.... " ahahaha
loved that game.. :D

Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

hehe... first computer or the first pc?
My first computer was a Commodore Vic20. After that the Vic64 which actually was the bomb at the time... lol. Dont know what processor it was in them but it might have been an 8-bit motorola 6502. The storage media for those was the famous taperecorder... haha "Press play on tape...." :)
My first pc had a 8088 as cpu running on 4.77 MHz plus an integrated math-processor 8087. the 8088 has 16-bit architecture but with multiplexed adress/databus which makes it a little bit slower than the 8086 with address and bus at separate pins. I used to assemble small machine code snippets with this machine cause of it's simplicity. Have Gwbasic and Basica in it too i recall. How fun with those times! :D
Seriously: This machine rox!!!! Hercules graphiccard with greater resolution than the ordinary cga 640x480 or was it even 320x240? A bummer is the monochrome yellowish screen.. lol
I still have the computer and last time i tested it it still was running... haha
Have to add: The hdd in this one is one of those big models with 20 Megabytes!!! :shock:
Last edited by Likay on Fri May 02, 2008 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

old topic but I'll chip in:

first computer was an amstrad with a monochrome screen:
http://img.qj.net/uploads/articles_modu ... viewth.jpg

that was back in the early 90's when I was still in kindergarten or first grade- something like that. My parents had no idea about computers and bought this for my education, and at the time I really liked it- played games on it. A few years later got a 486x pc that was later upgraded to become a pentium 1 with exactly 199mhz and a 8mb 'stealth' video card, approximately 300mb hdd (or was that the maximum amount of free space that was possible to get on it without deleting windows? dunno...). Amazing- back in those days every mhz counted, I remember not being able to play the most recent games cause everyone already had pentium 2's with 233 - 300mhz :) Though half life 1 was perfect on it. Still one of the games closest to my heart. Then later I got a pentium 3, which is still alive today as my moms computer, then a pentium4 which is sitting to the right of me idily and used for backup purposes atm, though I remember 5 years ago it was da bomb! Almost yesterday... Then I got my current pc which was a core 2 duo but now upgraded to core2 quad and 4gb of ram, hope to overclock it.

stereo pics of my current rig:
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... um=9&pos=0
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... um=9&pos=1
http://www.mtbs3d.com/gallery/displayim ... um=9&pos=2
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
Welder
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Welder »

First one was one of the first edition Imacs.... I was addicted to playing nothing else except Diablo and Diablo 2.
You know, this one. The one WITH a disk tray:

Then, I got an E-Machines... with Millennium edition... The worst possible combination for a first PC.
nubie
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nubie »

1st:
HDD: You must be kidding
Dual 5 1/4" floppies
CGA graphics :)

2nd:
486 33mhz
dead 512mb WD
3.5" floppy

3rd:
Dell 486 (in grand Dell fashion overheated while gaming ;)
Upgrade: SAMSUNG 8x CD drive, I was styling, til it burned.

4th:
AMD 486 40mhz

5th:
Cyrix MediaGX 266mhz (despite some info to the contrary, this was socketed, with on-chip graphics).

This one is neat, plug the memory in backwards and it would only boot at 233mhz when you put the memory back in correctly. Try the same stunt again and it was good for a sweet 300mhz!!

6th:
Via/Cyrix Samuel II, ick, it sucked.

7th:
Duron Thunderbird Socket A 800mhz, finally a kick-ass machine, except when the PCChips motherboard was acting up, I blame the SiS chipset, I never liked them much anyway. Drew on it with a pencil, raising the voltage, where it was much more stable, and capable of 900mhz on the core. With a Geforce2 GTS I was stylin B)
android78
Certif-Eyable!

Post by android78 »

First computer: Commodore Vic20 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Commodore_VIC-20
media: Tape drive... put in the tape, wind to certain point, type in load then press play. Those were the days!
memory: 5 kB built in! but I had an 8kB expansion!
speed: you could see it thinking. Don't try to render the whole screen at once!
ran basic! I spent so many hours writing my own programs for it. ho hum.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

My first computer, if you want to call it that, was a Commodore-64. Thing was awesome. The memories:
I was little at the time and my cousin or uncle or another used to send me these boxes of floppies filled with copied games! All I remember is having these sheets of BASIC code I had to type in just to get the games to run. They weren't like the real games either. Like if "Kung Fu" was popular I got "Kung Fighter" or something bootleg. There was this one game I remember that was just like Gauntlet, and overhead dungeon type game. Sorta like Zelda too, you would have to push blocks and warp to levels and stuff. That game was cool.

My first real PC was in '94, a 133 MHz Pentium! Boy was that monster back then. I think it had 16MB of RAM and 2x CD-ROM! I remember it was right when the FMV games were popular. I had this game 'Under a Killing Moon', literally, best game ever. It had real actors and fully textured 3d environments, spanning 4 CDs. That was the first game I played when I got the PC and it blew me way. I got it hooked up on the DOSbox recently and the graphics are still good. Way ahead of its time. I liked MYST and the 7th Guest a lot. I remember playing Descent, that game was friggin' sick. So intense. Also Full Throttle was awesome, they just don't make games like they used to. And who could forget DOOM and all its rip-offs. Most people remember Duke Nukem. But who remembers Rise of the Triad? First game to feature dual pistols baby! Out of the World, the other best game ever. Although I may have liked Flashback better. Also, what about Blackthorne? Who would have thought Blizzard of all developers would strike gold?

I think the first 3d accelerator card I got was Voodoo3000, man was that killer. I think it came with Unreal 1, what ever happened to that series...?

After that point I was just building my own PCs so who knows how many upgrades constitute a new computer. I could probably put a computer together right now with all the junk laying around my house I don't know why I keep all this stuff. :lol:
Neil

Post by Neil »

Have you guys seen today's news story on MTBS?

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=183

If you live in Toronto, there is still time to go!

Regards,
Neil
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Neil wrote:Have you guys seen today's news story on MTBS?

http://mtbs3d.com/cgi-bin/rss.cgi?news_id=183

If you live in Toronto, there is still time to go!

Regards,
Neil
I'd come but I'm in ukraine and stuff
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General Discussion”