Want to Be a VR Legend? Program PPJoy's Replacement!

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
WiredEarp
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Re: Want to Be a VR Legend? Program PPJoy's Replacement!

Post by WiredEarp »

If you integrate the processor like that, it would be quite similar to that big helmet that was shown off last year by one of the big HMD vendors recently. Can't remember who currently, it had lots of cameras etc on it, android powered, etc?

if the costs can be brought down, I think its a good solution, however I wonder if the latency improvements you gain by having the PC on the HMD are balanced out by the fact that you have to run a less powerful PC?

I think its a great idea for dedicated environments such as VR arcades etc, but for home use, I think most people are going to want to play late model games as well as old ones, so it might not be as good a seller in the consumer space.
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

geekmaster wrote:Posting the RAW unsorted ideas directly to forum posts can be unwise though. Perhaps better to use a paper notepad like I did in the past, and only post the gems.
I dunno, I think there's a benefit to using a place like this as a fairly unfiltered mental space. Ideas you have and later decide are unworkable or downright terrible might spark another idea that becomes something great and practical. We're badly off topic here (I still want PPJoyJoy 2.0, dammit!), but I don't care in the slightest because we went off on a tangent that may prove valuable. Some amount of mental culling might be wise, but the minute you start approaching self censorship we all lose out. MTBS is about the least judgmental place you're likely to find on the 'Net - I say let the ideas flow.

The specific line of reasoning regarding HID dongles and Raspberry Pis one of the harder topics on which to speculate, I'd say. Keep at it, please, but much of what is possible and what further additions might be necessary will become apparent as soon as Rifts start arriving. I'm just glad to see people poised to fill in whatever gaps there may be in the experience!
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

I dunno, I think there's a benefit to using a place like this as a fairly unfiltered mental space. Ideas you have and later decide are unworkable or downright terrible might spark another idea that becomes something great and practical. We're badly off topic here (I still want PPJoyJoy 2.0, dammit!), but I don't care in the slightest because we went off on a tangent that may prove valuable. Some amount of mental culling might be wise, but the minute you start approaching self censorship we all lose out. MTBS is about the least judgmental place you're likely to find on the 'Net - I say let the ideas flow.
I agree totally nateight. If we all wait until we have perfect posts, we won't have much to say at all. Its always good to stay on topic to avoid threads being overrun, but detours are just part of what makes it all worthwhile. Sometimes the reaches of the imagination give us glimpses of what can possibly be.
MSat

Post by MSat »

WiredEarp wrote: if the costs can be brought down, I think its a good solution, however I wonder if the latency improvements you gain by having the PC on the HMD are balanced out by the fact that you have to run a less powerful PC?

I think its a great idea for dedicated environments such as VR arcades etc, but for home use, I think most people are going to want to play late model games as well as old ones, so it might not be as good a seller in the consumer space.

I don't see it so much as simply being a way to make the Rift wireless, but rather as a way to make a portable VR system not all that different from a PSP or NintendoDS (except, you know, it's VR :D ). Not saying it's the right or only way of doing things, but a cool option IMO. Assuming we can get this working on an Android phone with HDMI out, then all that's left is making a bluetooth controller with a battery pack.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

MSat wrote:I don't see it so much as simply being a way to make the Rift wireless, but rather as a way to make a portable VR system not all that different from a PSP or NintendoDS (except, you know, it's VR :D ). Not saying it's the right or only way of doing things, but a cool option IMO. Assuming we can get this working on an Android phone with HDMI out, then all that's left is making a bluetooth controller with a battery pack.
Exactly! The portable Rift will have its own unique software ecosystem and set of games that it does, and does well. It will also be stretched to do other things for which it is barely sufficient, but that will only encourage improvements to the hardware and software.

Games and apps that need more computing power will require a larger portable computer, such as a single "backtop" or a "luggable" device (built into carry on luggage) for portable use in vehicles.

There will be a broad spectrum of devices that can (and will) be plugged into a Rift. Even those that only have CVBS (composite analog video), requiring a CVBS-to-HDMI adapter.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Its not a bad idea at all really. Since many Rift games will have lower resolution and require less horsepower than AAA PC games, I can see integrated processor being great for arcades etc, and with the right software, might even make it the next big console ;)
nateight
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by nateight »

WiredEarp wrote:[low-power, portable computers attached to Rifts is] not a bad idea at all really.
I'm still questioning Oculus' decision to release the Rift as a PC peripheral rather than tie it to a proprietary console and/or glom on to something like the Steam Piston concept. I understand the pros and cons, and hopefully the openness of the PC platform will give the Rift support it wouldn't have otherwise had in a neater (and considerably more expensive) tended garden model, but consoles are successful in part because they alone reliably reproduce a consistent experience. Building a mobile platform out of one of the latest CPU/GPU omniboards that suddenly seem to be Intel's and AMD's core business, something that can properly tackle current-gen games in ways that would ignite a Raspberry Pi, could really help the Rift. Sadly, such an undertaking would seem to only be the domain of the Sonys and Toshibas of the world, not us basement hackers, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to hear Oculus partnering up for something like this. Their only hesitation may be that people are entirely too likely to strap on a Rift + backtop computer and wander into traffic. :shock:
Shameless plug of the day - Read my witty comments on Reddit, in which I argue with the ignorant, over things that don't matter, for reasons I never fully understood!
MSat

Post by MSat »

WiredEarp wrote:Its not a bad idea at all really. Since many Rift games will have lower resolution and require less horsepower than AAA PC games, I can see integrated processor being great for arcades etc, and with the right software, might even make it the next big console ;)
I'm assuming you mean free roaming lasertag-like arcades? In that case, a backtop is certainly viable where batteries can easily be swapped out after several gaming sessions. AMD's APUs strike a good balance between power efficiency and performance - particularly in the GPU department. While a Tegra4 is no slouch, AMD's processor is certainly more powerful, so it would probably be the better option. Better still if the backtop incorporates a low-mid-range discrete GPU that can be used in conjunction with the integrated GPU. But if you can get away with not using an integrated system, such as when using an ODT, then I say "Bring on the beef!" and use the most powerful computer you can - as that's what would make VRcades the most appealing, IMO.
WiredEarp

Post by WiredEarp »

Yep, laser tag arcades, and also stand up units or sit down units playing dedicated games would benefit. Have a problem with the system, just swap out the HMD, instead of having to replace PC's etc...

I want to open a VR arcade, so i'm quite interested in stuff like this that would reduce costs and setup/maintenance hassles.
I'm still questioning Oculus' decision to release the Rift as a PC peripheral rather than tie it to a proprietary console
I'm not. If they had tried to tie it to something, they probably would never have built the buzz they have already. I think they have done very well keeping prices low to get their foot in the door (remember, they are still a startup, albeit a very successful one). Palmer seems to have some good business sense, and I think Oculus is best served by getting the buzz up, getting HMD's in devs hands, and saving integration etc for future releases. Once the Rift is getting rave reviews from devs, they will be able to get investment if they need it for the next generation, and will be in a much better position to talk authoritatively about where VR is going.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

nateight wrote:I'm still questioning Oculus' decision to release the Rift as a PC peripheral rather than tie it to a proprietary console and/or glom on to something like the Steam Piston concept?
The Rift is basically a display (platform agnostic) and a MARG, if they release the specs for the MARG it won't be tied to any platform.

Even if they don't release the specs I guess some people will come with drivers for other platforms, it happened for a lot of other peripherals (Kinect, PS Move, Wiimote, etc.).

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”