realtime dome projection? (planetarium and more)

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

realtime dome projection? (planetarium and more)

Post by hifidelitygaming »

When I looked in the past there were only a handful of proprietary software packages, very expensive, and usually only supporting one or two astronomy applications for the PC. What i'd like to see is something to let nearly any application or game use dome projection including from multiple projectors. Doesn't necessarily have to be a 360x360 dome or even a 180x180, since not everything supports such extreme fields of view, but for those things which do to offer as much support as possible. Projecting onto a dome with a single projector often involves special optics or reflectors which favor resolution in the middle at the expense of being lower at the sides - software is required to pre-warp the image being output to the projector to have it look appropriate. (because of the optics the light reaching the edges is also notably less than the center, some may provide light level correction dimming the center in some cases) This is what makes it unique vs normal multihead solutions.

Is anyone aware of any open source alternatives, in progress projects to do something like this, or general resources similar to this? My specific interest is running open source astronomy programs to a homebuilt planetarium dome but if it could also be used in a flight sim, space sim, and similar it would be awesome beyond belief. :)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Re: realtime dome projection? (planetarium and more)

Post by geekmaster »

There are multiple threads here that have discussed dome projection. Just search for "dome projection".

I see 87 matches in these forums, but so far I have not found the answer to your question, and no more time to look now. Have you searched those posts looking for answers?

With Google, I am only finding free dome-warping software for astronomy and planetarium simulators.

The animation dome-warping software is not free (typically $30 to $45, or more), and is often not real-time.

Without open source, it would be difficult to adapt for VR use, but I see that you DO want astronomy and planetarium software, so here is a good place to look:
http://paulbourke.net/dome/mirrordome/
http://www.domerama.com/software/dome-p ... -software/
dbuckvs
Two Eyed Hopeful

Re: realtime dome projection? (planetarium and more)

Post by dbuckvs »

I dont have any real info for you, but a lead maybe ping dave over @ https://plus.google.com/116599331662269985445/posts I know he's primarily working in unity for some domes, but maybe he can point you in the right direction :)
got a rift and a hydra? check out a thing it's a hot mess of control schemes and ideas, but it's fun.

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”