some questions to vadim

Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I want to make a suggestion about shutter glasses. From what I've seen, there are many formats supported by shutterglasses.
  • Pageflipping : the video card alternates the left eye frame and right eye frame one after the other. Full resolution in both eyes. To use the shutterglasses at 120 Hz, the video card needs to output at 120 Hz. The eyes can get reversed if the game does not switch the eyes fast enough.
  • Interlaced : one frame contains both eyes. The eyes are alternated on lines. Line one is left eye, line two us right eye, line 3 is left eye, etc (or the opposite). You lose half the vertical resolution. I think the monitor works at the same frequency as the video card in this mode (I'm not sure, I never tested it). This means that to use the shutterglasses at 120 Hz, the video card needs to output at 120 Hz. The eyes will never get reversed even if the game can't output at 120 fps.
  • over/under with sync doubling : one frame contains both eyes. Both eyes are scaled to half their height. The left eye is placed over or under the right eye in the same frame. If the video cards outputs at 60 Hz, the monitor and glasses will work at 120 Hz because the controller of the glasses will take care of doubling the frequency. You lose half of the vertical resolution. The eyes will never get reversed even if the game can't output at 60 fps.
There are a few more different modes but I think these are the main ones. Not all glasses support all these modes. Pageflipping is the more problematic mode because there can be sync issues that make the eyes switch. You lose half the vertical resolution in the other two methods but they have the advantage that they don't have any sync issues (the eyes will never switch).

If you have trouble getting the pageflipping mode working, you could at least start with the other two modes. I think they will be easier to implement and to get working.
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, Tril!

Most of device we know and user requested are pageflipping based device. I don't think we need to make other two until it is clear that we have any shatter glasses doing these two formats
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, MrHugoHugo!

Thank you for your warm words :-)
chrisjarram
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by chrisjarram »

Hey BlackQ,

Hows that internal discussion going re: shutter glasses support.. any news? A lot of us here are waiting with baited breath ;)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

and also the 3ds max support
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

we are preparing second beta of 1.08 now and then it would be clear how quick we can add shutter output to our driver - either as new dll for 1.08 or as part of 1.09
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

wow a <1min reply :) can you teach eDimensional that?
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

CG packages support will come in 1.09 100%, but I'll meet with Autodesk guy next week - may be we can find the way to do it faster
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cool, nice to hear. again if/when you need beta testers you know where to find me.
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

no - but you're lucky :-)
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

was that a reply to my beta testing request or the previous post? forums should be more like chat lol
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

BlackQ wrote:First of all I want to say sorry to everybody - I did not forget about this thread, but surprisingly system did not send me notification about your system... :-( But now I'm here again and would be happy to answer any question you have...

We are going to release second beta for 1.08 soon and working hard to make it more stable and faster, including auto-convergence feature

I got your Planar requests - as I said it is possible - I assume we can release separate dll for this

Shutter can be done without sync - if you think it is reasonable idea....
Ah, if Planar support can probably be solved by a (simple?) .dll, does this mean we might actually see it's support very soon, or must we dual-monitor people still wait for 1.90 for its hypothetical implementation? :)

I absolutely love how you take time out of your day to answer us consumers of your developments, BlackQ, thank you so much! :D
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

BlackQ wrote:we are preparing second beta of 1.08 now and then it would be clear how quick we can add shutter output to our driver - either as new dll for 1.08 or as part of 1.09
Great news - thanks for the lightning response as ever! :)
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

yes - if dll way will work - you'll can download dll to add it manually and run it via config file
Okta
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by Okta »

Is there any chance a side by side 'stereoview' could be added? Its not optimal but would be ok on a wide screen with adjustable letterbox to bring the aspect ratio back a little?
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

BlackQ wrote:yes - if dll way will work - you'll can download dll to add it manually and run it via config file
Ah, that's great! Might you have any estimate on when development of this hypothetical .dll will begin?
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

for side by side we have special plan related with one of our potential corporate customer and we are waiting their reaction (hope this month)

for dll development is started already and partially done - but integration need to be done and functionality need to be tested
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

BlackQ wrote:for side by side we have special plan related with one of our potential corporate customer and we are waiting their reaction (hope this month)

for dll development is started already and partially done - but integration need to be done and functionality need to be tested
Again, great news! :D I eagerly look forward to its release! When do you estimate the release if all goes according to schedule? Sorry if I seem pushy, I'm just excited and am grateful to see the support you have for the consumers, it is very rare for a company to be this comfortable with talking with its followers. Thanks so much again, BlackQ!
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

you are very welcome! :-)

We are going to release second beta may be during weekend. As soon as it will be accepted we'll finalize dlls for other outputs - I think we may try to make an experiments with some trials closer to the end of May - early June
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

BlackQ wrote:you are very welcome! :-)

We are going to release second beta may be during weekend. As soon as it will be accepted we'll finalize dlls for other outputs - I think we may try to make an experiments with some trials closer to the end of May - early June
wait so side by side will be released during the weekend or the shutterglass dll thing?
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

nop - side by side will not be released before we will clarify our relationship with one corporate customer who want to have this mode for his specific purposes
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

cool cause I have shutterglasses :) awaiting eagerly
stee1hed
Cross Eyed!

Post by stee1hed »

I will definitely want side be side. Hope that gets cleared up soon.
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

BlackQ wrote:you are very welcome! :-)

Oh, wow, so soon! I was expecting the earliest to be mid-to-late summer! That just made my day! :D
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Think there was some confusion there.. was this a beta which includes some sort of shutter glasses effort, or are we still some way off from that?
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

chrisjarram wrote:Think there was some confusion there.. was this a beta which includes some sort of shutter glasses effort, or are we still some way off from that?
I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood, it's simply another beta release of the current drivers, the shutter glasses implementation can't be until they start development on the next phase of drivers...
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Sabre2552 wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:Think there was some confusion there.. was this a beta which includes some sort of shutter glasses effort, or are we still some way off from that?
I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood, it's simply another beta release of the current drivers, the shutter glasses implementation can't be until they start development on the next phase of drivers...
Nope, I understood ;) It was yuriythebest1 who didn't - I was getting clarification.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

chrisjarram wrote:
Sabre2552 wrote:
Nope, I understood ;) It was yuriythebest1 who didn't - I was getting clarification.
Ok I now understand better.. I think.. So the drivers are released and the 'next phase' has started so the shutterglass support is now just started it's development?

EDIT: hopefully I don't come off as too impatient- just trying to get a clear picture.
Sabre2552
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sabre2552 »

yuriythebest1 wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:
Sabre2552 wrote: I'm sorry, I think you misunderstood, it's simply another beta release of the current drivers, the shutter glasses implementation can't be until they start development on the next phase of drivers...
Ok I now understand better.. I think.. So the drivers are released and the 'next phase' has started so the shutterglass support is now just started it's development?

EDIT: hopefully I don't come off as too impatient- just trying to get a clear picture.
Well, I don't think so, I think there will be a few more betas before this "phase" has finished, and then development on the next "phase" will begin, which will commence the development of shutterglass support.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

Sabre2552 wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:
chrisjarram wrote: Nope, I understood ;) It was yuriythebest1 who didn't - I was getting clarification.

Well, I don't think so, I think there will be a few more betas before this "phase" has finished, and then development on the next "phase" will begin, which will commence the development of shutterglass support.
ahh ok
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

Sabre2552 wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote:
chrisjarram wrote: Nope, I understood ;) It was yuriythebest1 who didn't - I was getting clarification.

Is this right BlackQ? Thanks :)
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

chrisjarram wrote:
Sabre2552 wrote:
yuriythebest1 wrote: Ok I now understand better.. I think.. So the drivers are released and the 'next phase' has started so the shutterglass support is now just started it's development?

Any update, anything at all? :)
chrisjarram

Post by chrisjarram »

chrisjarram wrote:
chrisjarram wrote:
Sabre2552 wrote: Well, I don't think so, I think there will be a few more betas before this "phase" has finished, and then development on the next "phase" will begin, which will commence the development of shutterglass support.
Any update, anything at all? :)
hmm.. I guess not :?
BlackQ
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by BlackQ »

Hi, guys!

I'll make next session of Q&A this Tuesday - I've asked Neil already to create a special thread for this. I'd be glad to discuss everything there with you

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”