Next gen Kinect specs

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Next gen Kinect specs

Post by Lookforyourhands »

http://www.vg247.com/2013/02/20/xbox-72 ... or-rumour/

Looks awesome!! Considering this generations
Kinect works reasonably well for tracking, the next one
should be stellar!!
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: Next gen Kinect specs

Post by virror »

Some of those improvements sound really great, like:
-End to end pipeline latency is improved by 33 ms
-Tracking of occluded joints, for example, an elbow occluded by a hand.
-Detection of hand states, for example, open or closed hands
-Detection of sideways poses.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

I'm still curious about how much of the processing has been embedded into the device to free up the host CPU?
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

Isn't the new Kinect directly tied to the xbox hardware?
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

This is what i thought of as well, would be really bad if it was hard to use on the PC : /
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

virror wrote:This is what i thought of as well, would be really bad if it was hard to use on the PC : /
Microsoft doesn't give a f**k about PC users, the only ones they care of are of are these:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMU0tzLwhbE[/youtube]
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Does Ballmer rehearse his performances, or is that all improv? :lol:

Disclaimer: Back in the day, Microsoft gave me a big-ass "limited edition" Microsoft-branded fishing tackle box, filled with Developer Kit CDs. It would have taken YEARS to download all that stuff with my 14.4kbps modem... I also had the "pleasure" of watching Bill Gates (in person) trying to figure out what to say next, when his WFWG 3.11 (Windows for Workgroups) demo during its product announcement threw a nice BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) up on the projector screen. When I requested a complimentary copy of WFWG at that conference, one of the MS employees gave me his own personal copy. I have lots of MS swag... :D

EDIT: The new Kinect is supposed to let you read out the raw infrared data as well, so perhaps you can get the latency down even more by offloading the fusion processing to the host PC. Many modern PCs have spare CPU cores just looking for something useful to do anyway...
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:06 am, edited 4 times in total.
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

geekmaster wrote:Does Ballmer rehearse his performances, or is that all improv? :lol:
Either math or meth :lol:
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

STRZ wrote:
geekmaster wrote:Does Ballmer rehearse his performances, or is that all improv? :lol:
Either math or meth :lol:
Or pot crushed into paste and smeared on crack (what "The Verge" guys said about their experience using the Oculus Rift). :lol:
Lookforyourhands

Post by Lookforyourhands »

STRZ wrote:Isn't the new Kinect directly tied to the xbox hardware?
Hm.. Yeah I forgot about that but I remember reading it somewhere.
That would really suck it it was the case, but if it is hopefully Microsoft
releases a Kinect 2.0 for PC! At least there's still the leap...
STRZ
Certif-Eyed!

Post by STRZ »

I hope that VR gets its own ecosystem in the future, like a dedictated VR Linux distro with a VR desktop, VR audio subsystem and other VR tools, a customised Steam store for VR titles and a low entrance barrier for indie periphal VR device developers. Intel is moving in the mobile space and they offer open source GPU drivers for Linux, game developers could get very low level and optimize the hell out of their games, similar to consoles. Their latest integrated GPU's can run Skyrim with acceptable settings at 30FPS, in 2 or 3 years time they will be even much better. A portable little Linux PC box running a dedicted VR operating system would be very cool.
brantlew
Petrif-Eyed

Post by brantlew »

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digit ... specs-leak

A more in-depth link. Honestly I'm pretty luke-warm about these updated specs. It's still no good for head tracking and 60ms is not quite where you would want it for hand tracking in VR - and that's assuming that that end-to-end times includes skeletal computation and not just video stream latency. I also don't see any evidence of embedded processing so the host still bears the brunt of the work.

Still, it will be interesting to see how much the limb and body tracking improves subjectively. The possibility of a really good walk-in-place character motion controller with practically zero setup is intriguing.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

This sounds good, but 60ms still seems like too much for VR. Might be OK for broad movements (duck/jump/etc.) but would still need to be combined with something else to get the finer details.
Zoide

Post by Zoide »

Perhaps ASUS will release an updated version of its Xtion Kinect clone for the PC?

http://wiki.ipisoft.com/ASUS_Xtion_vs_M ... Comparison

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”