Quake for Rift-alike HMDs

AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Quake for Rift-alike HMDs

Post by AdaAugmented »

Hi, I thought I'd move this over to its own thread from the DIY Rift thread.

I'm waiting on parts for my own DIY Rift-alike HMD and in the mean time I was worried that I wouldn't have any software that I'm familiar with to test it out on when I finally put it together.

So I thought, why not get Quake Rift-ready? I hunted around for a good modern OpenGL source port to start from and found DarkPlaces: http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/index.html

I haven't written any C code in a couple of years so it took me a little while to get oriented in the code, but after a little bit of hunting around I discovered that side-by-side stereo was already implemented. Unfortunately it looked like this:

So I hacked around a bit and got full frame side-by-side stereo working. Then I worked out how to customise the shaders in the game and gave myself a quick crash course in GLSL before borrowing the pre-warp algorithm from Emerson's Biclops driver http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=138&t=15086 thanks Emerson! It took a bit of modifying to get it playing nice with the odd way DarkPlaces was managing stereo rendering but I think I got it in the end. So now it looks like this:

(these are all cross-eyed images)

Those are with cross-eye enabled for testing, I'd turn that off to run it on an actual HMD of course. Looks pretty good though?

I still have a lot of work to do to get everything cleaned up. The pre-warp will need to be modified to suit variable IPD and I'd like to work out how to do partial overlap. I'd also like to mask out the weird artifacts at the edge of the warp since it just looks wrong on the right hand side of each view and I think might be more distracting than a black mask. There's a bunch of codey things I need to do to tidy everything up, too.

And don't worry, I'm planning on improving the VR-ness of it as much as I can. I plan to implement 3DOF head tracking with a neck model and I'll try to get the head, body and gun all moving independantly. I have a Razer Hydra I'd like to integrate and for the time being I'll probably use an iPod Touch 4G for head tracking. I haven't thought about what to do about the HUD yet.

I have to double check the licensing on DarkPlaces, but as soon as I'm not ashamed of it I'll release binaries and (eventually, unless the license forces me to release them both together) source code. :)
Last edited by AdaAugmented on Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jf031
Cross Eyed!

Re: Quake for Rift-alike HMDs

Post by jf031 »

I personally want Quake to be my first VR experience (outside of using whatever test/calibration software is coming with the devkit). It was the first truly 3D (polygonal) game I played, and ushered in 3D acceleration. I want to explore that world in a truer "first person." Cool to see someone working on a port this early.

I realize you will have console settings to change it, but the one bit of feedback I'd give you right now is that the 3D effect is too strong (too much divergence, I guess?). edit: too strong on the weapon models, at least.
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Those screenshots are looking pretty good after I stopped trying to wide-eye free view them (the shotgun looks strange that way). After I cross-eye viewed them, then I read the text below them. Oops...

Quake should run pretty good on my Nexus 7 (I hope). Perhaps that would be the thing to make me get around to completing my Nexus 7 version of the Fov2Go (using cheap fresnel lens stacks).

Do you have downloadable source for your Rift-adapted version, so I can compile it for Android OS? :)

EDIT: Maybe there is more to it than recompiling. :( Here are some android ports for Quake 1 2 and 3:

http://code.google.com/p/kwaak3/
http://code.google.com/p/quake-android/
http://androidandme.com/2010/02/news/an ... -to-droid/

They would have to be merged with the "Rift-adapted" stereoscopic code to work.
Last edited by geekmaster on Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MSat
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by MSat »

Very cool! Quake and Quake2 are two games I would definitely want to play in VR.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

jf031 wrote:I personally want Quake to be my first VR experience (outside of using whatever test/calibration software is coming with the devkit). It was the first truly 3D (polygonal) game I played, and ushered in 3D acceleration. I want to explore that world in a truer "first person." Cool to see someone working on a port this early.

I realize you will have console settings to change it, but the one bit of feedback I'd give you right now is that the 3D effect is too strong (too much divergence, I guess?). edit: too strong on the weapon models, at least.
Yeah Quake was more or less my first proper 3D game. At least the first with textured polys.. It seems fitting that it should be ported to the Rift.

And yes you're right the convergence (separation?) or whatever should be (and is) adjustable.
geekmaster wrote:Those screenshots are looking pretty good after I stopped trying to wide-eye free view them (the shotgun looks strange that way). After I cross-eye viewed them, then I read the text below them. Oops...

Doom should run pretty good on my Nexus 7. Perhaps that would be the thing to make me get around to completing my Nexus 7 version of the Fov2Go (using cheap fresnel lens stacks).

Do you have downloadable source for your Rift-adapted version, so I can compile it for Android OS? :)
Haha sorry, I probably should have put the cross eye note above the images. Might go back and fix that up now.

I don't have source available just yet and I'm not quite ready to even distribute a binary because of the amount of kludgy stuff I've have to do to get the custom shader stuff to load in. However, once the source is available I hope you'll be able to run it on Android.. it looks like everything is in there for OpenGL ES so I think it should work? Maybe? Google for "DarkPlaces Android" or something to see.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

geekmaster wrote: EDIT: Maybe there is more to it than recompiling. :( Here are some android ports for Quake 1 2 and 3:

http://code.google.com/p/kwaak3/
http://code.google.com/p/quake-android/
http://androidandme.com/2010/02/news/an ... -to-droid/

They would have to be merged with the "Rift-adapted" stereoscopic code to work.
Yeah.. DarkPlaces is actually a fairly advanced modification to the engine, too.. so even if it did compile it might not run that well. The stereoscopic code in this port is probably fairly specific to this engine, too. I haven't compared it to any other OpenGL Quake ports, but from what I've read on forums and things, most of the rendering stuff have been rewritten. That said it definitely runs on Linux and it should compile to OpenGL ES. So some enterprising person might be able to get it to work eventually.
MSat wrote:Very cool! Quake and Quake2 are two games I would definitely want to play in VR.
:)
vietNOM
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by vietNOM »

Awesome! i was hoping someone would tackle putting rift support in quake 1! :D glad you are gonna attempt having the gun separate from the head movement as well.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I already decided on trying Half Life 2 as my first VR game - but if Quake became an option ... :woot
want to demo the Rift or check it out? click here
Omarzuqo
Cross Eyed!

Post by Omarzuqo »

Great. Now I'm gonna have to order a dev kit.
You can also Greenlight other Rift games.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

Haha, everyone loves Quake. That probably says something about the demographic of this forum. ;)

It turns out adding the black mask was really easy after I had a little think about it. The fix worked first time. (Great now I'm working on this to "relax" between work related frustrations. >.>)

Hopefully once I integrate the shader back into the game code I can place a call to it after the HUD gets drawn. I'm sure you guys have noticed the FPS counter isn't getting warped along with the rest of the image, that's because this shader basically gets applied around the same time the bloom effects are done and obviously post processing effects like bloom happen over the scene, but not over the HUD.
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

AdaAugmented wrote:Haha, everyone loves Quake. That probably says something about the demographic of this forum. ;)
:lol: ... we are all old farts ^^

I don't think I care for the HUD information in Quake (unless there were some story elements I forgot about :mrgreen: ). Would it be possible to get rid of them?

And thank you for investing time on this - playing Quake would be awesome :)
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

GeraldT wrote:
AdaAugmented wrote:Haha, everyone loves Quake. That probably says something about the demographic of this forum. ;)
:lol: ... we are all old farts ^^

I don't think I care for the HUD information in Quake (unless there were some story elements I forgot about :mrgreen: ). Would it be possible to get rid of them?

And thank you for investing time on this - playing Quake would be awesome :)
The HUD is useful for health and the ammo counter. Of course if you don't need these things you can just switch the HUD off, but it's nice to know how many nails you have left. The health counter could perhaps be simulated with a red tint over the screen that gets more opaque as your health gets closer to zero. The more VR appropriate way to do ammo counters would be with some sort of visual indicator on the weapons, but hopefully I can think of a subtle alternative.

And you're welcome. My motivations are purely selfish though. :)
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

Good points! Red tint ... I can already see myself waiting in a corner to regenerate. I don't really remember the weapons in Quake or how important ammunition was... would it be possible to get the info shown on the press of a button? I really dislike 2D HUDs hovering in front of a 3D world ... I usually turn of 3D in such a situation (that might be an option too).

Thank god you are selfish - much less probable you loose interest ;)
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

Okay, here is that same image, except wide-eye view (so I can view it here on my Nexus 7 with a hand-held pair of the "DIY Rift" 5x lenses).

Quake Wide-Eye View:
quake.jpg
EDIT: Okay, fullscreen on a 7-inch display looks pretty good. But when I get close enough to not see the outer black edges, my nose touches the screen and the web browser changes the image size! :(

I remember back in the olden days, DIY HMD information recommended NOT using a sharp focus (to avoid screendoor effect), or even placing a piece of waxed paper over the screen to intentionally blur it. The "correct" focus was to move it just enough out of sharp focus to get rid of screendoor.

It might be interesting to try the "waxed paper" layer over the screen, to see if that helps any...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
KBK
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by KBK »

Most large art supply shops will have high grade diffusion films.
Intelligence... is not inherent - it is a point in understanding. Q: When does a fire become self sustaining?
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

KBK wrote:Most large art supply shops will have high grade diffusion films.
The displays available back then were awfully low resolution, but even on newer higher resolution displays, it may help to diffuse the image a bit if somebody finds seeing individual pixels (and the border around them) annoying. Small objects will look "blocky" when focused sharply, but blurring them "just enough" lets your brain "imagine" what it "should" look like, somewhat like antialiasing. This is analogous to CRT alignment, where it was important to DEFOCUS the beam just enough to eliminate the black line between adjacent scan lines. For high bandwidth monitors (like my sony 3-beam projector), it was a compromise, because eliminating black between scan lines reduced horizontal detail (if you had a high bandwidth video source, like some analog satellite raw feeds).

A bit of diffusion in DIY Rift clones might actually improve the perceived "virtual" detail, contrary to what you might expect.

The reason I brought up this diffusion is that when I viewed the wide-eye view quake images in my previous post, I was aware of the screendoor effect, but even more, small objects in the distance did look rather blocky. Moving the lenses to defocus a bit helped get rid of both of those detrimental artifacts (at the expense of a little "beneficial" blur).

As I recall, some viewing device instruction manuals actually recommended defocussing a little, for optimum viewing. Perhaps the Rift manual could have such a recommending in its operating instructions. But with modern higher resolution devices, it may be less important than in the past.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

GeraldT wrote:Good points! Red tint ... I can already see myself waiting in a corner to regenerate. I don't really remember the weapons in Quake or how important ammunition was... would it be possible to get the info shown on the press of a button? I really dislike 2D HUDs hovering in front of a 3D world ... I usually turn of 3D in such a situation (that might be an option too).

Thank god you are selfish - much less probable you loose interest ;)
Regenerate? You're forgetting, Quake was from the good old days of real first person shooters. You have to manage your health and pick up health packs, unlike today's casual Halo style games. Image

I'm trying out various other barrel warp algorithms. I'm not sure how good the one I've been using is. Hopefully someone with a DIY Rift using the 5x lenses will pop their head in here and offer some perspective.

geekmaster, would you like me to save a few more screenshots with the images non-cross-eyed.. ?
GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

lol ... yeah I know, that was the fun point of that sentence :lol: ... if you need to add that mechanic it was clear anyway ;)
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

GeraldT wrote:lol ... yeah I know, that was the fun point of that sentence :lol: ... if you need to add that mechanic it was clear anyway ;)
Oh god that went right over my head. Haha. Clearly I shouldn't have skipped lunch.

I've changed the pre-warp algorithm to something a bit more tweakable. I've got a pretty aggressive warp on this screenshot, not sure if it's "enough" or too much or what, but I guess it'll be up to the user to calibrate that, the important thing is this will be easier to feed variables into.

GeraldT
Certif-Eyable!

Post by GeraldT »

I haven't played Quake since it was a brand new title ... seeing these pictures really pushes a button. I guess that has something to do with the fact that around that time I started dreaming of playing it in VR. 18 year old Gerald says "Thank you" :)
MSat

Post by MSat »

Isn't partial overlap inherent in stereo rendering assuming that each camera "projection" is symmetrical?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Awesome work, man!
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

So what does it say about me that I made a VR level viewer for Wolfenstein 3D? And that I then added support for Catacomb 3-D? And Hovertank? And then Catacomb 2D? :-(
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

MSat wrote:Isn't partial overlap inherent in stereo rendering assuming that each camera "projection" is symmetrical?
Yeah I guess I meant as opposed to 100% overlap. Not sure it matters so long as the lens warp is centred appropriately though.
2EyeGuy wrote:
So what does it say about me that I made a VR level viewer for Wolfenstein 3D? And that I then added support for Catacomb 3-D? And Hovertank? And then Catacomb 2D? :-(
That's awesome.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

And speaking of moving the centre of the warp distortion.. this is how that is starting to look:

(Non cross eyed, grid crudely rendered in the shader to help visualise lens warp)

More importantly I've figured out how to pass variables from the engine to the shader which was always going to be a necessary step in making all of this stuff user configurable.

Sanity check: what are people's thoughts on the rough shape of this warp? The closer you move the lenses towards the middle of the screen the larger the peripheral regions that don't get calculated. Is this what we're expecting on the larger screens?

Edit: tweaked the shader a bit to fill the screen better and turned that annoying grid off.

geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

AdaAugmented wrote:I'm trying out various other barrel warp algorithms. I'm not sure how good the one I've been using is. Hopefully someone with a DIY Rift using the 5x lenses will pop their head in here and offer some perspective.

geekmaster, would you like me to save a few more screenshots with the images non-cross-eyed.. ?
Save them both ways, so they can be free-viewed easily with X-eye, or with a handheld pair of lenses on a 7-inch tablet to simulate a Rift-like view.
MSat

Post by MSat »

@AdaAugmented

Curious what your computer specs are, as 43fps seems a bit low for such an old game.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I think the warping was better the first way. It should be more centered on its half of the screen and roughly symmetrical. I did get a chance to try the Vireio driver with the Rift (using Emerson's warping code) and it looked OK. Not perfect by any means, but it was playable. So that is probably good for now.
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

MSat wrote:@AdaAugmented

Curious what your computer specs are, as 43fps seems a bit low for such an old game.
It's running on my X220 laptop.. so some sort of onboard/embedded intel graphics card. After I replace the motherboard in my desktop machine I'll try it out on my I5-750 and 460GTX. I actually rarely see it go below 60 fps running through the demos, it's usually more like around 120fps until it gets bogged down in an area with a bunch of lighting and particle effects. For the record, though, don't be fooled by this "old game", the DarkPlaces engine has a lot of extra stuff like real time dynamic shadows and lighting and much nicer particle effects. Enough stuff that if I turn the graphics settings way up, even without adjusting AF/AA, I can slow it down to about 4fps without turning stereoscopic mode on. Anyway hopefully it will perform well enough on proper gaming hardware, you're right, 43fps is way too low to be useful in practice.
cybereality wrote:I think the warping was better the first way. It should be more centered on its half of the screen and roughly symmetrical. I did get a chance to try the Vireio driver with the Rift (using Emerson's warping code) and it looked OK. Not perfect by any means, but it was playable. So that is probably good for now.
Cool, thanks for the hints. I think I'll probably try to match Emerson's results with the algorithm I have in there as a default (at least until I get my hands on a Rift of my own to calibrate against) and let the user tweak the variables to suit the peculiarities of their HMD.. I'm hoping to make this flexible enough for every DIY HMD, but getting it right for the Rift is obviously a high priority too.

I've exaggerated the shift inwards of the warp and the strength of the distortion to help visualise the changes while experimenting with different variables in the distortion function. My concern is for people with, say for the sake of argument, a 10" panel and presumably closer to a 6.5cm IPD with lenses positioned accordingly, I would assume having the distortion centred on each side of the display wouldn't work for them.
airons1972
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by airons1972 »

Yeah i agree guys, Quake is still an amazing game. I love the level design and could explore some of those maps all day. Quake looks even more amazing when you are playing it with a high FOV hmd and head tracking. When i was building my HMD i mostly used Quake (the FitzQuake engine version which also looks really nice) for testing and also used GLHexen II quite a bit. Serious Sam, BattleZone II, Half Life, Halo, Unreal, Forsaken, Descent 3, etc are all fun old games to try with a HMD. Forsaken will probably give you motion sickness, but is great fun and if you ask me, a perfect mid '90s VR type game.

airons1972
adoral84
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by adoral84 »

Awesome work AdaAugmented, I can't wait to play through this with the rift.
2EyeGuy
Certif-Eyable!

Post by 2EyeGuy »

I never really got into Quake. I liked Doom a lot better.
virror
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by virror »

/\ Talk about part pooper : p
Looks like there will be quite some game to play even when the dev kit comes out, to bad i don't have the funds currently to order one : (
drgroove101
Cross Eyed!

Post by drgroove101 »

Nice work man! I was around 16 when Quake came out, I remember playing the crap right out of it in software mode, then when I got a 3dfx Voodoo card and fired the game up my face shat! Or maybe I got my first acceleration card when Quake 2 came out, I can't remember.

I'd love to see someone make Quake 4 Rift ready, it runs on the doom 3 engine so you think it would be a natural fit since well Doom 3 BFG is suppose to be Rift ready. It's a shame the source code isn't available (I think?) I Hope Mr. Carmack gets Doom 3 working soon with the new dev kit screens. He seems like a busy guy and I'm worried he won't do it until July or August or later! *gasp*
space123321
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by space123321 »

Oh man - these pics look good through the eyes of my DIY Rift. Cant wait to try a playable version!

I remember playing this via my cybermax lol - definately did not look like this lol!
sth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by sth »

Great work!

Quake 1 is still great fun to play, especially in coop mode.
It may look old, but it still feels like a modern shooter – unlike, for example, old raycasters like Doom or Duke3D do.

Fun fact: Half-Life initially had pretty much the same movement code as Quake (Half-Life's engine was derived from the Quake engine), until they later rui...eeer... I mean "tuned" it with the big 1.1 patch.
Those were the days... ;)

Anyway, I can't wait to try it!
geekmaster
Petrif-Eyed

Post by geekmaster »

I need a 3D Quake walkthrough to print out and paste on cardstock, to add to my stereopticon collection. :lol:

antique_quake.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3dRat
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by 3dRat »

drgroove101 wrote:...I Hope Mr. Carmack gets Doom 3 working soon with the new dev kit screens. He seems like a busy guy and I'm worried he won't do it until July or August or later! *gasp*
I'll bet he's working now on that! may be something to show at GDC... you think he could watch in example that HL2 gun tracking video without doing something along for doom3 himself ??! he is the biggest enthusiast about Rift!!
kalabalik
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by kalabalik »

Hey! Wonderful to see my first wish of a Rift game come to life!
But I wonder why you don't use the 3D-accelerated version of Quake (GLQuake was it?) with the reflections, light effects and antialiasing etc that came with the first batch of 3Dfx cards like Voodoo II?

That would make it even better, to be able to walk up to those windows and see the reflection and to see through translucent water. Oh boy that was a mind boggling experience first time I saw it after buying that card. <3

But anyway, this is great to see; so thank you big time for making this a reality!
AdaAugmented
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by AdaAugmented »

geekmaster wrote:*snip*
Haha, that stereopticon Quake slide is amazing. :D
kalabalik wrote:Hey! Wonderful to see my first wish of a Rift game come to life!
But I wonder why you don't use the 3D-accelerated version of Quake (GLQuake was it?) with the reflections, light effects and antialiasing etc that came with the first batch of 3Dfx cards like Voodoo II?
I am modifying a a 3D accelerated version of the Quake engine. I don't have all the effects turned on because it slows my laptop down too much, plus it's a little distracting and adds an extra layer of complication to debugging my shader warp.

This is the sort of level of graphics you can expect from this engine when it's running on properly accelerated hardware:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R14iqJnUtl0[/youtube]
Not my video, just a random DarkPlaces video on youtube..

Funnily enough, with the prewarp turned on, at least on one half of the screen the engine's heavy real time lighting effects interact with the warp shader adding in a barrel lens flare. I'm not sure why it's only one the one side at the moment and once I move the warp shader out of the current shader pipeline I imagine the "problem" will go away, but it's still a really cool effect.

Edit: here's another, which you can watch in 3D: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oy8ArA1vzFo

Return to “Oculus VR”