My First 3D Test

cardinalstud08
One Eyed Hopeful

My First 3D Test

Post by cardinalstud08 »

Okay, so after a few hours of testing my equipment, I've got a somewhat decent video. It has a few things wrong with it, I know, but it's pretty good for my first day. I used two HD camcorders (HDR-SR5) spaced about eye-distance apart, and I was roughly 6 ft away. I used Sony Vegas to encode everything with the Make 3D plugin from Medtron. It worked out pretty nicely. Check it out.... there are many, many more to come. I'll post more as I figure this all out. I fully intend to perfect my technique!

http://rapidshare.com/files/119696258/3 ... 4.avi.html
LukePC1
Golden Eyed Wiseman! (or woman!)

Post by LukePC1 »

Wanted to test it, but I don't have the codec(s).
Usually the 3D videos work, but maybe this one does not because of HD? Any tips?
Does someone experience similar things?
Play Nations at WAR with this code to get 5.000$ as a Starterbonus:
ayqz1u0s
http://mtbs3d.com/naw/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

AMD x2 4200+ 2gb Dualchannel
GF 7900gs for old CRT with Elsa Revelator SG's
currently 94.24 Forceware and 94.24 Stereo with XP sp2!
Freke1
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Freke1 »

I can't see it also. I tested from another pc, same problem.
Does anyone know what codecs are standard? We really need to have something that works here.
Anyone got some codecs links?. Normally I can see all videos, but I know my codecs are old.
I also have no knowledge about these codecs :shock:
Tril
Certif-Eyed!

Post by Tril »

I think I found the correct codec but it does not play correctly. I get some artifacts on the decoded video (white, black, red, green blue small line shaped dots).
Here's the link to the page with the codec I tried : http://www.wafian.com/KnowledgeBase.htm
It's the download link "Latest CineForm decoder for Windows".

I think this one might work too : http://www.cineform.com/products/Downlo ... rStart.htm

To cardinalstud08 : There's a major problem with your videos (if it's decoded correctly on my end). The two views don't look like they are the same height at all. Was it really made that way or is it a decoding problem on my end?
CPU : Intel i7-7700K
RAM : 32 GB ram
Video card : GeForce GTX 980 Ti
Display : Samsung UN40JU7500 Curved 40-Inch UHD TV with shutter glasses
HMD : Oculus Rift

BlackShark
Certif-Eyable!

Post by BlackShark »

The cineform codecs aren't to be used for file distribution but for internal editor use only.
It was designed initially as a temporary transition format for HDV when the hdv format wasn't supported in edtors, then used again when avchd (the format your camcorders use) when avchd wasn't supported in editors. It is also used when your computer isn't powerful enough to decode the avchd streams realtime since it's lighter on the cpu, at the expense of fileize.

Popular internet codecs are :
Mpeg 4 asp (DivX, or it's open-source fork XviD) -> which i recommand for broad use and maximum compatibility with anyone's computer
Mpeg 4 avc (H264) -> which i recommand for high quality content, but tools to create files aren't beginner-friendly.
Microsoft wmv -> which i never recommand to anyone (due to microsoft licensing policy) but which is automatically installed by default with Windows XP or Windows Vista.
Apple quicktime -> which i don't recommand but lot's of people use "because pros who don't care about codecs use it since it's the default codec installed on their Macs for use with Final Cut Pro"

I suggest this workflow :
export to any very very high quality format your computer can read, if on your computer you can play the cineform file flawless then use it, when exporting try to keep as many image parameters native through the editing process (image resolution, framerate, interlacing, aspect ratio,...)
do the image conversion (deinterlacing, and resize if necessary) and compression in an external software (ALWAYS !!!)
i recommand either :
virtualdub (very common, lots of tutorials over the internet) for DivX and XviD. -> should be easy
Megui (huge and complex processing app which uses many different small command-line sub-applications) for best results with H264. -> hard, you'll need to install lots of stuff and interface is not intuitive.

There are lots of small apps that pretend making encoding H264 an easy process but none of them satisfy me.
yuriythebest
Petrif-Eyed

Post by yuriythebest »

yup tried also and didn't work. use divX/xvid.
Oculus Rift / 3d Sucks - 2D FTW!!!

Return to “General Stereoscopic 3D Discussion”