Ps Move for positional tracking

Talk about Head Mounted Displays (HMDs), augmented reality, wearable computing, controller hardware, haptic feedback, motion tracking, and related topics here!
Lookforyourhands
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Ps Move for positional tracking

Post by Lookforyourhands »

Can anyone out there please tell me how to use the PS Move API
for positional tracking ? I want to try it like they did on project holodeck.
Has anyone out there got it working ?? Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Ps Move for positional tracking

Post by cybereality »

I haven't worked with this yet, but I am interested to know how difficult it is and whats needed to pull it off.
Lookforyourhands

Hey thanks Cybereality, I did download the Move API but I have no clue where to begin. I'm a technician, not a programmer :( lol

There's gotta be someone out there who knows how to get this working as it seems like a pretty good way to do positional tracking !
I mean it's probably not that complicated but I like instructions lol and to hear from someone who has experience
with this sort of thing as we all know it's not always smooth sailing when computers are involved..
mahler
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by mahler »

Here is a recent thread of somebody (Fredz) implementing positional tracking into a 3D engine: http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=140&t=15994

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aAJZDBsC6M[/youtube]

And a post about the thesis from the author of the PS Move API

If you reach him through the forum, I'm sure he'll willing to help you get started.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

First thing would be to download the binaries, follow the instructions to have your PS Eye / PS Move recognized and then launch some of the examples to test the tracking.

If all goes well you may have a try at compiling it yourself, and fiddling with the examples to see how it does work.

After that, it'll depend in which context you want to use the library. If it's for positional/rotational tracking of the head in your own application I may be able to help.
Namielus
Certif-Eyable!

Post by Namielus »

A picture of the supposedly new ps4 controller leaked and seems to have a touchpad on it and a move-like light behind it.

Someone told me that the dev-kit seen behind has two cameras on it, one on each side. Definitely could believe that those are cameras.

Is this the move 2.0?
Riftoholic

My precious 6 month project the Oculus Virtual Lounge:
If you help me in any way I will be forever grateful.
Lookforyourhands

Fredz wrote:First thing would be to download the binaries, follow the instructions to have your PS Eye / PS Move recognized and then launch some of the examples to test the tracking.

If all goes well you may have a try at compiling it yourself, and fiddling with the examples to see how it does work.

After that, it'll depend in which context you want to use the library. If it's for positional/rotational tracking of the head in your own application I may be able to help.
Thank you for the reply, it's appreciated but honestly you lost me once you used the word 'compile' lol..
It scares me.. But then again maybe it's not that difficult? wouldn't hurt to learn but I was hoping i could
use this as a basic tracking solution that would work across all games, simply emulating wsad for movement.
I guess it's bound to get easier in time when demand for said devices become more popular, but then again it
is a tad cumbersome to strap a ps move onto your hmd lol and I'm sure better solutions will come along shortly.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Lookforyourhands wrote:Thank you for the reply, it's appreciated but honestly you lost me once you used the word 'compile' lol.. It scares me..
Sorry about that :). You won't necessarily need to compile the library depending on how you want to use it though.

In my case I had to compile it because a small modification was needed. The library calculates a projection matrix for rendering the controller in the world, but in my case I needed a projection matrix for rendering the world from the viewpoint of the controller. Unfortunately I've been too busy/lazy to send the code to the author, but that may change.

If you just want to test the various tracking examples you can use the binaries directly though, these pages may help to get you going :
- https://docs.google.com/document/d/16oB ... SCPuU/edit (for Mac OS X, but mostly applicable to other systems) ;
- http://thp.io/2010/psmove/old_index.html (look for "Windows status" near the bottom of the page).
Lookforyourhands wrote:But then again maybe it's not that difficult?
Yeah it's not really difficult, even if it's less straightforward on Windows than Linux. You can find the instructions for Windows here : https://github.com/thp/psmoveapi/blob/m ... ADME.win32
Lookforyourhands wrote:wouldn't hurt to learn but I was hoping i could use this as a basic tracking solution that would work across all games, simply emulating wsad for movement.
FreePIE support would be what you want then I guess, IIRC someone was working on PS Move integration. I don't know if the library supports positional tracking through WASD injection though.
Lookforyourhands

Wow thanks for the reply Fredz! That is some great information ! I'm going to have to so some reading.. Lol

Return to “General VR/AR Discussion”