win98se s3d games

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

win98se s3d games

Post by iondrive »

Hi all,

I know this forum is supposed to be only for old-school nvidia XP stuff but I have to ask...

Am I the only one in the world who has/cares about win98se s3d games?
Please post a "yes" if you care about such old games.

If you do, then maybe we can get Neil to open an "ancient-school 3d" forum and I can start posting my notes about old games like...

Half-Life 1 and friends
Prince of Persia 3d
Descent 1,2,3
Heretic/Hexen 1,2
Doom 1,2
TombRaider 1,2,3...
various Starwars and StarTrek games
others

I wouldn't expect much traffic there but it would be nice to have that anyway.

ciao,

--- iondrive ---

PS: I'm not really talking about s3d-built-in DOS games but upgraded versions of those games that work with DirectX or OpenGL either directly or through a wrapper like GLiDOS or something.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: win98se s3d games

Post by Likay »

You're not the only one who really enjoys playing the oldies from time to time! Strangely i experience the "touch of 3d-magic" even stronger when playing the oldies. I can't explain....
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Re: win98se s3d games

Post by iondrive »

HURRAY!!! I'm not alone!!!

I have a hunch that the "magic" is because the game might be more indoor so the depth can be exaggerated... more perceived depth than would be there in reality.

A neat little trick: get a list of "DX-whatever" games.

Try this and you might be surprised: Use the windows Search function and search your C:\NVSTEREO.LOG folder for any files containing the text "version=3" and you will see a list of games that use DX3. Search for "version=5", then 6, then 7, then 8, and then 9 and you can get lists of games that use those versions of DirectX. Search for "opengl" for a list of those. The reason I say you might be surprised is because I've found that a game's box sometimes says it uses one version of DX when the NVSTEREO.LOG files say something else. I believe the NVSTEREO.LOG file more than the box. Of course DirectX is more than just graphics and so it's the version of Direct3D that really matters to us here. I think my biggest surprise was to find out that "Jedi Knight - Dark Forces 2" uses DX3 when I thought it used DX5 but I'll have to check that to be sure. There's no DX4 for some strange reason.

Thanks for posting.

c'ya,

--- iondrive ---

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”