Prince of Persia, Warrior Within

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Prince of Persia, Warrior Within

Post by iondrive »

hi all,

These are my Warrior Within notes for anyone who's interested.

-----

Warrior Within: old-school nvidia

Conclusion/recommendations:

Looks good in s3d except for HUD and software ghosting.
Use drivers 78.01 or single core mode with 91.31 or greater.
Usable bad HUD, Help-text too close/offscreen, Health-bar too close but usable.
Use smaller 3d settings with large-screen projector to help solve HUD-too-close problem.
Game needs autoconvergence in order to look/work better in s3d.

Game notes:

Camera - a 3rd person game with camera mouse-control often very limited/disappointing and sometimes frustrating. Zooming in also tilts camera up nicely.
This is the one where he starts in a battle on the deck of a ship at sea.
Game has a long video at new-game start and I don't know how to bypass it.
Game has cool acrobatic combat moves but is very bloody.

nvidia issues: tested with 7800GTX

1) freezes on 3d toggle - fix: use single core mode
(drivers 91.31 and 162.50.)

2) HUD - bad depth - no fix but usable if you don't need on-screen help-text.
Details: Help-text offscreen, Health-bar too close but visible.
No plane control and setting HW-TnL off causes crash on start.
Workaround: Use smaller 3d settings with big-screen projector to help solve HUD problem.

3) Software ghosting - no known fix yet
Explanation: You can see ghosting in a 3d screenshot even when veiwed in 2d.

4) One-eye-stuck problem - fix with StereoTextureEnable=1 in registry 3d-game-profile
Description: when 3d is toggled on, one eye's video becomes frozen with the image unchanging. Other eye's view is OK. Toggling 3d off resumes good video in both eyes until 3d toggled on again.

3d settings notes:

3d settings are in Registry under 'POP2'

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Nvidia Corporation\Global\Stereo3d\Gameconfigs\POP2

StereoConvergence = 40713c0d hex
StereoTextureEnable = 1
Separation = 18% on a 17 inch CRT (set this in the nvidia desktop right-click control panel)

miscellaneous notes:

I haven't played this game much so it's possible that more s3d issues show up in later levels.
PoP, The Two Thrones, Special Edition includes 2 more games (Sands of Time and Warrior Within)
DX9, 3.25GB hard drive space, from 2004

--- iondrive ---
victorjr
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Prince of Persia, Warrior Within

Post by victorjr »

thansk, BUt will those settings also work on a zalman??
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

yes, as long as you can choose a horizontally interlaced output with the nvidia driver version you're using and set the game res to match the monitor res. I think it should work fine.

Post more if you try it and have some problem with it.

If you're driver doesn't have a horizontal output option but does have a vertically interlaced option (162.50), then run the nvidia 3d logo test with that output and edit these registry settings to change vertical to horizontal:

in [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D]

set both "InterleavePattern0" and "InterleavePattern1" to "00ff00ff".

If that gives you backwards 3d, then use "ff00ff00" instead of "00ff00ff" for both settings and please report that back here so I will have good advice for others.

Good luck,

--- iondrive ---

PS: hmmm, tested a little more. This driver likes to reset 2 things sometimes when I open the nvidia display properties window. It resets both the output to DDC and the InterleavePatterns to 55555555. So the awkward solution is to not open that panel. Run the 3d test with vertical interlacing, exit that and the display properties window, and edit the registry. Then don't open that again and just run your game. Or better yet, follow the appropriate instructions from this topic:

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=6007" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

N-joy if you can.
victorjr
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by victorjr »

next time, a little easier words, cuse al those 3d terms,I don'tknow them YET.
Anyway, Nvidia has a own driver for the zalman, and I thought the zalman always uses horizontal interleced, right?.
Don't forget, I'm just a noob. My screen I orderd will come on friday, I'm just collecting info
iondrive
Sharp Eyed Eagle!

Post by iondrive »

hmmm,

I don't know about the nvidia driver for the zalman or maybe I just forgot about it. Anyway I don't see it in stereo driver version 162.50. Oh well, but actually, if you're going to have a Zalman with a modern computer, I recommend using the TriDef drivers especially if you want to play Warrior Within since theirs is the best driver for that game in interlaced mode. I'll be posting some data on that game in the TriDef subsection later. A TriDef license is currently $50.

Yes, as far as I know, the Zalman 3d monitors use horizontally interlaced 3d input.

C'ya.

Update: the iZ3D drivers can work with Warrior Within in interlaced mode if you use a no-CD crack. Otherwise I believe you will get a "can't load otuput dll" error. I don't want to be giving advice about using no-CD cracks so you're on your own with that issue except for general info like: beware of viruses and it was hard to find this one.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”