Doom3 Quake4 Prey Stereoscopic

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Doom3 Quake4 Prey Stereoscopic

Post by mkultra333 »

Greetings, first post to the forum. I've made this exact same post over at the nvidia 3dstereo forum, hope you don't mind. I don't know if you already have this info here, I did a quick search but didn't see it in any concentrated form. Here's the post:

Greetings, this post is not a question, I just thought it might be handy to someone since I could never find this info when I needed it.

I've got a pretty good Doom 3 / D3 Resurrection of Evil / Quake 4 / Prey stereoscopic system running. It uses a CRT monitor, 7900GT nvidia card and eDimensional LCD glasses. So kind of an old rig by current standards, but it runs well. As best I can tell, you can't even get the Id Tech 4 games running in stereoscopic on any modern systems. None of the new 3D LCD monitors support it. Not only that, but nvidia discontinued steroscopic support via LCD shutter glasses for the cards beyond the 7XXX series. I'm going around scrounging old 7950 gt cards and such on ebay now, which is kinda fun. :)

You might think this is old stuff, but I like it, Id stuff is always so full of additional tools for modding and mapping that the titles keep me entertained for years.

I assume you have sorted out your drivers and stuff, but just in case, here's a quick run-down I use myself
Stereoscopic 3D setup. NVidia 7900GT.

Uninstall nvidia 3dstereo drivers and nvidia video drivers.

Reboot to safe mode.

Run DriverSweeper to clean up any leftovers.

Reboot.

Install nvidia video drivers, Forceware 163.71 whql.

Reboot.

Install nvidia stereo drivers, 162.50 (works with 163.71 video drivers).

Reboot.

Run regedit to allow the old control panel for nvidia, otherwise the stereo menus can't be accessed.

Change the following:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\NvCplApi\Policies]
"ContextUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"TaskbarUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"CplGroupUIPolicy"=dword:00000001
"SedonaDisable"=dword:00000000

Reboot.

Go to the nvidia control panel and enable stereo. Voila!
The above might not be exactly right for your system, so do some research. And remember, you need the old graphics cards, the 7800 or 7900 or 7950 or whatever. 8000 series or above won't work.

Ok, so now what to do with Id games. There are a number of effects you'll need to disable or change to make things work. For instance, the blur around fireballs or through glass, post-process effects, these don't work.

Create an autoexec.cfg file and put it in the base folder (or in d3xp folder for Resurrection of Evil). Here is what my autoexec file looks like for the stereoscopic stuff:
seta com_showFPS "1"
set g_showPlayerShadow "1"

// 3d stereoscopic settings
bind "F6" "set g_fov 100 ; set r_skipPostProcess 1 ; set r_useTurboShadow 0 ; set r_showHud 0 ; set r_brightness 1.2 ; set r_gamma 1.20 ; set g_gunx 3 ; set g_guny 5 ; set g_gunz -4 ; set g_gunyaw -5 ; set com_fixtic -1"

bind "DEL" "toggle g_showHud ; toggle r_skipPostProcess"
I've turned on the frame rate counter because it is handy to see, and I've turned on the player's own shadow because I think it helps the immersion. But on top of that, there are two special bindings.

When you start to play the game, the first thing you need to do when you first load a level is to press F6. I've bound this to automatically adjust things to get rid of effects that don't work. I've also taken the liberty of increasing the FOV (field of view) and the gun position. Tweak them to your tastes.

Things that pop up in the hud, plus the original weapon crosshairs, are annoying, so they can be toggled using the DELETE key. In Resurrection of Evil you'll need this whenever you use the time slowing effect, because it doesn't work with 3D and makes the screen go blank. So when you use the artifact you should deactivate stereoscopic and then press delete, and just play those short sections in normal flat screen mode.

Another thing to remember is to set up the actual convergence/divergence optimally. Remember that as well as the default higher/lower 3d effect, you can also change the convergence. I set the 3D to max. Then I stand staring at a wall and adjust the convergence so that the wall is directly flat at the same level as the monitor screen. You can do that by taking off your glasses and seeing at what point the convergence setting turns the blurry double wall vision into a clear single wall vision. You might like it set higher or lower, I find that setting the best.

At the nvida advanced settings I bind increase/decrease seperation to "," and "." and I bind increase/decrease convergence to ";" and " ' " which makes them easy to change in the game. I also bind "write configuration" to ctrl+f10, and "cycle fustrum" to ctrl+F11.

Speaking of the frustrum, it has three settings. One of them causes weird errors in the shadows, once makes objects at the periphery blink sometimes, and the third is just right. The correct one is the one that cuts a little bit off the left and right of the screen, about an inch for each seperate eye view. While that might seem annoying, you don't notice it much once playing, and it is better than the errors.

Once you are playing and you've adjusted the frustrum, seperation and convergence, you should press ctrl+F10 to write the nvidia stereo config. That way you won't have to do it all again next time you play, you'll just press F6 and be ready to go.

I still get the occasional glitch, but nothing I can't live with. Oh, and sometimes the nvidia cross hair comes out in the wrong position... can't remember how to fix that off the top of my head, think I poked around in the registry or it just fixed itself.

Another little glitch in Quake 4 is that the bullet marks from some weapons don't render correctly, plus there's a couple of shaders in the game that don't work. I haven't found a way to fix them. With the bullet marks, you could just disable them from the console (look up the command, I can't remember it here.) And the broken shaders only appear in a couple of places. I just live with it, it isn't too distracting.

In Prey, the cabin when you take control of a shuttle is out of whack, and some distant renderings of the sphere look wrong, but otherwise things work fine. The portals work great, I think maybe Prey looks the best out of all 4 games.

Anyhow, just thought I'd post this since it took me a while to work it out. Probably not useful anymore, but just in case.
CarlKenner
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by CarlKenner »

The VR920 comes with a mod for Doom 3 that has stereoscopic 3D and head tracking.
Copy this code to clipboard: 0o1rp5zk then go to http://mtbs3d.com/naw to register. Use the code for $5000 startup bonus, and to support Gaza.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Cool, I was a bit disappointed in what I'd heard about Zalman and other 3D LCD monitors, and AFAIK they can't play Doom3, my scifi horror world of choice. I'll have to do some reading about the VR920. Maybe do an update next year.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

It's very nice to have all that information put together, very handy. Thank you.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sir C »

Yes, this is very nice.

It is a pity that I did not read this just an our before, I uninstalled Quake 4 because I had lost hope of playing it because the unplayable frame rates of the NV 94.24 that I've been using with my old but good 6800 GT. In fact I downgrade to 89.something (that works well with Doom 3) but nothing.

Now I reinstalled the game again, and for my happy suprise, it works just great! Thank you very much!

I would add another command to your config to get rid of the "in game crosshar!" in order to use nvidia's one:

g_crosshairColor 0,0,0,0
Sir C
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by Sir C »

Neil, Sharky, can you move this post to the Nvidia game configurations?
I think is more useful there.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Re: Doom3 Quake4 Prey Stereoscopic

Post by mkultra333 »

Sir C, glad the info was helpful. I currently use the DELETE key to turn off the hud, which gets rid of the crosshairs, but your method would be handy if you still want to see your ammo, health, etc. I added your suggestion to my post over at the nvidia stereo forum.

I'm playing Quake 4 again at the moment, and I've discoverd another cvar that helps. I mentioned how some shaders still cause errors. There is one that appears on some glowing pipes and cyclinders in the medical facility, for instance. Well,

"set r_skipnewambient 1"

will fix that, try adding that to the F6 bindings above.

Another effect that doesn't work in stereo is the way everything goes blurry in doom3/Quake4/Prey whenever you take damage. If this annoys you, then

"set g_doublevision 0"

gets rid of it. Add it to the F6 bind if you want.

Also something I forgot to mention for Prey. In the system graphics menu, turn the "Glow" option off, the glow effect doesn't work in stereo.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

I was playing a per-pixel lighting remake of Quake 2 the other day (how's that for old school). The off centre nvidia crosshair problem came up.

The solution is to first play the game, turn on the laser sight and save out a stereo config (ctrl+f10 by my setup above). Then run regedit and go to

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVIDIA Corporation\Global\Stereo3D\GameConfigs]

and find the config for the game in question.

There are two keys that control the position of the crosshair, LaserXAdjust and LaserYAdjust.

I found the following setting fixed things:

LaserXAdjust 0x3f800000
LaserYAdjust 0x3f800000

I think this places the crosshair in the centre of the screen for most games.

On another note, I tried a newer driver today, I usually use 163.71 FW + 162.50 stereo. I decided to give 173.68 FW + 162.50 stereo a try. But it didn't work, it glitched a lot, was unusable for me on a 7950GT, so I went back to 163.71.
Bo_Fox
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Bo_Fox »

Are you guys really sure there's absolutely no way to make it work with OpenGL games on an 8800GTX, even though my 8800GTX can play S-3D perfectly in many DirectX games with 181.00 FW + 162.50 S3D drivers?
8800GTX, 24" CRT (Sony GDM-FW900)
i7 920 @ 3.7GHz, Foxconn Bloodrage, WinXP-32 and Vista x64 SP2
3D shutters, 181.00 Forceware +162.50 S3D for WinXP

Other rig: 4870 1GB, i7 920 @ 4GHz, DFI T3eH8
24" LCD + IZ3D anaglyph, WinXP-32 and Win7 x64
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Are you using shutterglasses and a CRT monitor, or are you using some other system?

My understanding is that nVidia stopped support for shutterglass+CRT beyond the the 7XXX cards and 162.50-ish drivers. They only supported various new LCD and other systems after that, and didn't bother with OpenGL support either.

Since I'm using an older system, I don't know for certain the exact current situation, last I heard nVidia still didn't have support for stereoscopic OpenGL, but were "working on it." Don't hold your breath though. nVidia and Microsoft seem to have a "thing" going, so DX10 or above is the target. Microsoft sells more operating systems and nVidia sells more cards, everyone's happy except the consumer.

People with newer systems might be able to shed some more light on this situation.

Edit: Ah, sorry, just noticed your sig says CRT and shutterglasses. In that case, it looks like they continued the shutterglass+CRT support, just not the OpenGL. I've not had any success whenever I've tried a driver beyond 163.71, but I've only tried a few.
asc3asc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asc3asc »

hello, good OpenGL people :D

Concerning the nvidia 3D crosshair I would have a quick inquiry: from my experience, the "latest" driver combination that doesn't cause a crash with either OpenGL or D3D when NV crosshair is activated is 78.01 (which only supports 7800gtx at most).

Has anyone had a flawless 3D crosshair in BOTH OpenGL and D3D with a newer combination of drivers (that can support the 7900 cards) ?
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

I'm currently using Forceware 163.71 whql with 162.50 stereo drivers on Windows XP (SP2) and 7950GT. I've only been playing OpenGl games though, so I don't know about DX. The crosshairs are fine, apart from sometimes having to go to the registry to tweak the position, as I mentioned in the post about Quake 2 a few posts above. Turning the crosshair on or off causes no problems. I used to use 162.50 forceware and that was ok too.

I'm going to try some experiments with some other drivers soon, I've downloaded 163.75, 169.21 and 169.44 to try. I've already tried 173.68 and that was broken.
asc3asc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asc3asc »

Thanks, 163.71 whql with 162.50 stereo drivers have brought back OpenGL games in S-3D, but I see a garbled/glitchy crosshair in the top-left corner of the screen, and can't find LaserXAdjust and LaserYAdjust for Counter-Strike in the registry, actually I can't find the config for this game, only for Doom 3 and others. Any chance you might spot it?
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Did you play the game and save an nvidia stereo config first? This should add the game to the nvidia game settings in the registry. I think the default to do so is ctrl+F7, though I change mine to ctrl+F10. If you find the config but it lacks the X and Y keys, just add them (copy them from another game like Doom3 just to make sure you get the key name exactly right.)

(Edit: Counter-Strike is a Half-Life mod, isn't it? If so, maybe it's in the registry under Half-Life.)

Unfortunately sometimes the crosshair has a further problem, it comes up without transparency so it looks like a white, opaque square. Call of Duty was ok at first but halfway through the crosshair went out of whack. I don't know how to fix that. The same problem came up on a Quake 2 per-pixel-lighting remake I tried, but a fix there was to change the hud (health, ammo, etc) to 2D sprites instead of 3D. Something to do with the opengl call the programmers are using, I guess.
asc3asc
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by asc3asc »

Unfortunately sometimes the crosshair has a further problem, it comes up without transparency so it looks like a white, opaque square.
That's exactly what I'm talking about, and this crosshair bug makes games extremely frustrating to play because you can't see anything beyond that opaque square that comes instead of the crosshair. The only driver that caused no crosshair bugs for me was 78.01. It worked flawlessly in both OpenGL and D3D, any game I tried, even those without a crosshair :D - you just got a free crosshair :P Unfortunately it doesn't support the newer 7 series cards, only 7800GTX which is extremely hard to find for sale. If I replace the nvdisp.inf file from the 78.01 driver with the one from a newer driver that supports the card I want, and go ahead with the install, I get corrupted display and PC hangs. How can one get the older driver to recognize the new cards ??? This would solve a lot of the issues ppl are facing...
nasoman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nasoman »

need help

desperately want to play prey and doom3, the stereo effect IS there,but screen flickers !!!

have exactly your set up mkultra,did that autoexec.cfg thing but nothing happens when i

do f6!fiddled around in game setting(shadows,glow) no change. am playing far cry,oblivion

no problem,

what am i doing wrong??
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

The f6 binds are to turn off FX that don't work, like post processing.

It is probably your drivers. If you check the driver experiment thread in this same forum you'll find my tests with various different drivers. For me, flickering in Id games became a problem if I used drivers beyond 163.75 + 162.50 stereo.

http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=60&t=2610
nasoman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nasoman »

tks for reply,

I use 162,50+163.71,which should be ok,according to your tests,

but I get excessive flickers! oblivion,far cry,thief perfect.
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Ah, you mean the flickering is happening in oblivion,far cry,thief perfect.

The settings I gave were only for the Id games I mentioned. For other games you'll have to try something different, especially regarding game graphic settings.
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

nasoman wrote:need help

desperately want to play prey and doom3, the stereo effect IS there,but screen flickers !!!

have exactly your set up mkultra,did that autoexec.cfg thing but nothing happens when i

do f6!fiddled around in game setting(shadows,glow) no change. am playing far cry,oblivion

no problem,

what am i doing wrong??
Vertical sync should be ON at nvidia settings. What you describe is similar to what I see in IL2 (also opengl) with vertical sync off.
Zalman Trimon ZM-M220W / Acer H5360 with Another Eye2000 shutters / nVIDIA GTX760
nasoman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nasoman »

"Vertical sync should be ON at nvidia settings. What you describe is similar to what I see in IL2 (also opengl) with vertical sync off."

really, I ll try that(do I still need the autoexec.cfg thingy??)

tks
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

nasoman wrote:really, I ll try that(do I still need the autoexec.cfg thingy??)
I guess so. Please, post your results.
nasoman
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by nasoman »

THAT DID IT!!!!

dont need the autoexec.cfg thing,just enable vertical sync in the

nvidia panel and voila!!not only doom3 and prey but I tried just

for the hell "you are empty" an unknown zombie shooter and

wow,this as got to be one of the nicest 3d game I ve seen!!
crim3
Certif-Eyed!

Post by crim3 »

nasoman wrote:THAT DID IT!!!!

dont need the autoexec.cfg thing,just enable vertical sync in the

nvidia panel and voila!!not only doom3 and prey but I tried just

for the hell "you are empty" an unknown zombie shooter and

wow,this as got to be one of the nicest 3d game I ve seen!!
and it costs 10 euros only! :shock: interesting
mkultra333
Cross Eyed!

Post by mkultra333 »

Glad to hear it's working. vsync never helped me much. Goes to show, it pays to experiment.
echeva
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by echeva »

I have been reading different forums and have seen several times the legacy drivers only support up to windows xp, up tp nVidia 7950 GPUs but... there are "stereo drivers" for drivers Forceware 174.74 http://downloads.guru3d.com/NVIDIA-3D-S ... -1892.html, which have versions even for Windows Vista x64 http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-1 ... -1888.html and, of course Windows XP x32 (WHQL) http://downloads.guru3d.com/ForceWare-1 ... -1890.html. This driver comes with full support for all GeForce graphics cards from the GeForce 6, 7, 8, and 9 series.

I am thinking of buying one of these cards so I would really appreciate If you have deeper info on this: has anyone really verified 7950 GPUs are the last supported, or it is just a rumour believed to be true because it has been copied uncountable times from forum to forum? Or maybe these threas are older than drivers? Any light on this?

Thanks!
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

That 174.76 driver is for Windows Vista ONLY and I believe only supports the Zalman Trimon monitor (Nvidia 3D Vision was not out yet). It will not work, AFAIK, on Windows XP and, even if it did, it would only support the Zalman monitor (not all the other options that Nvidia used to support). In addition, they dropped support for OpenGL on those drivers, so even assuming all the other stuff magically worked (which it doesn't) you still could not play DOOM3 or any other OpenGL games because they don't support it. Sorry.
echeva
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by echeva »

cybereality wrote:That 174.76 driver is for Windows Vista ONLY and I believe only supports the Zalman Trimon monitor (Nvidia 3D Vision was not out yet). It will not work, AFAIK, on Windows XP and, even if it did, it would only support the Zalman monitor (not all the other options that Nvidia used to support). In addition, they dropped support for OpenGL on those drivers, so even assuming all the other stuff magically worked (which it doesn't) you still could not play DOOM3 or any other OpenGL games because they don't support it. Sorry.
Thank you. I didn´t notice although there´s a version of forceware for XP, the stereo driver is only for vista.

And what about the upper end of graphic cards in 7950? Is it also right? Drivers 162.50 support series 8.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

I am fairly sure that the 7950 is the most powerful card officially supported by the old XP driver. I do recall some people found a hack to get a certain 8000 card to work (8800 Ultra I believe) but I don't remember how reliable that was. You can search on these forums if you want to dig that up.
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

The fastest card supported by the old NVIDIA driver is the 7900 GTX. The 7950 GX2 is faster for standard 3D but not in stereo 3D, because it's a dual-GPU card and only one of them can be used by the driver. Have a look here for confirmation :
- http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 413#p15413" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 822#p62822" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- http://www.mtbs3d.com/phpBB/viewtopic.p ... 453#p12453" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 7950 GT is the fastest (and last) series 7 card using AGP slot, but it's still slower than the 7900 GTX (PCI-Express) both in 3D and stereo 3D. Here you can find a performance comparison of these cards in standard 3D (not stereo) :
3DMark05
7950GX2--------------12886 --------500/1200
7900GTX -------------10522 --------650/1600
7900GTO -------------10376 --------650/1320
7800GTX512 -----------9509 --------550/1700
7950GT----------------9386 --------550/1400
3DMark03
7950GX2 ---------------29257
7900GTX ---------------21412
7900GTO ---------------20765
7800GTX512 ------------19959
7950GT-----------------18464
Source : http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=103 ... ostcount=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here is a comparison of the chipsets which shows why the 7900 GTX is the fastest in stereo 3D :
Chip --------------- Core clock -- Memory clock -- Memory interface -- Memory transfer rate -- Pixels per clock
GeForce 7950 GT --- 550 MHz ----- 1.4 GHz ----- 256-bit ----- 44.8 GB/s ---- 24
GeForce 7950 GX2 -- 500 MHz x2 -- 1.2 GHz x2 -- 256-bit x2 -- 38.4 GB/s x2 -- 24 x2
GeForce 7900 GTX -- 650 MHz ----- 1.6 GHz ----- 256-bit ----- 51.2 GB/s ---- 24
Source : http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/132" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

@Fredz: Thanks for the clarification.
echeva
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by echeva »

Thank you very much to both, you have helped me a lot. Now I know what to do.

:-)
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Echeva,
Now you understand why I use a 7900 GTX and 91.47 with an .xml profile from a 16X.XX series driver. It's the best combination I have found without hacking around.

photios

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”