Can see two 3D images but cannot activate shutter glasses

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Can see two 3D images but cannot activate shutter glasses

Post by branney »

My shutter glasses (Elsa 3D revelator + 2 unbranded pairs) are not activating. Was using 91.47 on GeForce 7900.

I tried the wired glasses, which i thought was best bet since i do not know state of batteries on the other 2 pairs.
Then I tried the wireless, one of which has a button to activate, and again nothing happens.

I last had all 3 pairs of glasses working when I had GeForce 6800, and have not used since i got 8800 (when that was the hot thing).

Would the eDimensional-Activator be of use?
The link to http://solo11.abac.com/edimensional/downloads/E-D.exe is dead on http://www.stereo3d.com/files.htm
Can anyone help?
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Can see two 3D images but cannot activate shutter glasse

Post by branney »

Update: tried with 93.71
Using wired I see the odd flicker, maybe a single one or a few clustered every few seconds.
About once a minute i get the full 3D for half a second to a second.

Could this be not a strong enough signal getting to glasses?
Are the LCDs in the glasses just too old?
Could it be because my monitor is 60Hz (surely lower would be easy for glasses to do, even if the effect is not as nice for the user)?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

I hope you are not trying to use the shutter glasses on a 60Hz LCD monitor.

That almost will never work correctly.
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by branney »

I first tried on 60Hz LCD around 2002, but the polarity was wrong so the whole monitor was dark, unless I tilted my head or the monitor.

Yes, I am trying again on 60Hz 40" LCD TV. When the effect works, it is just like I remember on the CRT, but a lot more flickery.
Why do you recommend against that? Is there a known limitation or do you think the experience would not be to my liking?

The glasses should only have an upper limit not a lower limit. I remember after a crash years ago the LCD on one eye got stuck dark/opaque, with the other one transparent, so they should be able to cope with remaining dark for 1/30th of a second each eye.

Is it that the drivers do not handle 60Hz well, because they were designed for 100-120Hz?

I also didn't consider that some TVs delay the frame for processing. For the split second it worked, I think my TV must not be doing this, or must have an even number of frame delays, meaning each eye would be correctly in sync.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

Lcd-monitors have in general too much internal lag to work properly with shutterglasses. When i've tried the ones i had with a pair of old e-dims i just had senseless flicker. Think it was two samsungs, hitachi lcd-projectors and the iz3d-monitor at least. None of them even gives a hint of 3d, just a mix of flicker/tearing and jumping image (the special lcd-modes of the E-D Activator didn't help either).
If the lag of the monitor is too big it's still useless for 3d even if it accepts 120Hz or more as input. Hz and shutterglasses compability is not related.
I can help with bringing e-d activator to you though. Mind you, it's a long time ago i've tinkered with it and as most just briefly. I always use nvidiastereo for my 7900 and iz3d/tridef on my newer rigs.

Link to E-D activator and E-D update.

It's a very long time ago i used these as said and i do not remember which one to use or even if the e-d activator is included in e-d update. I do remember that an enhanced version of the activator had two different (but for me useless) lcd-modes.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Stereo 3D at 60Hz was unbearable to me on a DLP projector because of the flicker, I'm afraid it'll be the same on a LCD/TV monitor, if it's even supported at all as Likay said (ghosting will be awful as well on 2D LCD TVs).

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”