Convergence Issue with Mirror's Edge

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Convergence Issue with Mirror's Edge

Post by branney »

I am testing this with Forceware 93.71 with Analglyph on GeForce 7900 at the moment.

I am seeing the 3D separation, however contrary to how it should be the convergence appears to be inverted.

Things in the distance have more separation than things in the foreground, when it should clearly be the other way around.

I can reduce with CTRL+F5 until it gets to zero, then keep going past that and it appears to help a little, but i cannot be sure as it only lets me go so far. And the stuff in the distance still has huge separation (when it should have almost none), just not significantly more than the foreground (which it was doing to begin with).

How can I best take a screenshot to show in here?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Convergence Issue with Mirror's Edge

Post by cybereality »

I think Shift + F1 will take a screenshot.

You should put "depth" to one more than the lowest setting (hold F3 til the bottom, then press F4 once).
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by branney »

OK I put depth all the way to zero then stepped it up one notch only. This meant low separation so the effect was less obvious, so I increased the convergence to make it apparent in the screenshot.

Shift+F1 didn't put anything in my copy buffer btw - does it save to a specific location?
Anyway, PrintScreen and good old MS Paint worked fine!

You will see that the 2 images of the railing diverge instead of converge as they go into the distance.
Also the training platform jutting out which you have to jump off, as a distant object, should have low separation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
branney
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by branney »

Actually, I just realised could be the brain using perspective which makes it seem the images diverge. If you measure with a ruler I think the separation for distant objects is the same as those for nearby objects. Either way, there should be convergence of some sort.

Anyway, pressing CTRL+F5 to reduce convergence until there is no stereo, then keeping going past that point does look a little bit 3D, but it won't go more than 6 notches past the zero point.

With 6 notches of negative convergence, and 1 notch of separation, you cannot make out that there are 2 images at all. You can just make it out at 2 notches of separation, and here it is with 3 notches of separation.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Yes, something looks wrong on those images (though I'm not sure what the fix is).

Do other games work at all? My goto game was always Unreal Tournament 2004. Maybe try that.

Also, Nvidia saves the images to your my documents folder, I think in a directory called NVStereoscopic3D.IMG or something.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”