To LIKAY regarding vga to TV converters

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

To LIKAY regarding vga to TV converters

Post by photios »

HI Likay,
As you know I've been running 91.47 driver on my 7900GTX SLI setup to a HDMI digital display (used to be Mits DLP but now I have an LG passive). I would like to try the 162.50 stereo driver, but I'm forever condemned to anaglyph mode because of XP and EDID (which cannot be overridden in Windows XP). And you cannot do a DVI-D pin mod while running out to digital. DVI-I might work, but in analog it would still need to run to a converter to convert it to HDMI. I have an Atlona USB powered VGA to HDMI converter that I tried to block the EDID, but it does not work very well and it doesn't seem to want to pass through 1920x1080 (for whatever reason I'm not sure). It also has some mouse lag and is slow to refresh the screen. It might be a handy for a VGA only laptop for presentation, but would be horrible to game on anyways. From what I've read, people were normally blocking the EDID to achieve all the 3D modes in the 162.50 stereo driver with their ususal setup of the Revelator or E-Dimensional converter for 3D. Those are not an option for me as I'm not running that kind of shutter glasses setup. My questions are two fold for you:

1) What brand of VGA to TV converter are you using? And are you running out Component, HDMI, or something else?

2) How is the quality? Any mouse lag in the conversion?

Thanks,
photios
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Re: To LIKAY regarding vga to TV converters

Post by Likay »

Hi!
I still have but never use these (Deltaco TV-8D rev. 2) anymore. My original purpose for these was to capture 3d directly from the graphiccard which sort of "worked" (huge and annoying syncissues in the final videos because the boxes outputs 24Hz and no way to hardwaresync them). One bonus with them is that they cut the edid pin (exactly like the pinmod) so i could use later drivers (162.50) without noticing any nags. The boxes doesn't replace edid in any way, just don't pass it through.
They have vga in and out, composite video, rgb and s-video output. They pass through the vga-signal so that your original vga-device still can be connected while outputting a suitable signal to the tv (or vcr's in my case).
Specifications are old and these are probably more or less useless for anyone these days. I recall that the maximum input vga-resolution was 1280x1024...
Since i was using the component output the quality of the recordings needs no explanation (terrible compared to todays standards). The box also added a very tiny amount of noise to the vga-out (the projectors) but it's probably neglectable since it's only visible when the screen is totally dark.
I don't recall having any noticeable mouselag with these boxes but again i mostly used these to capture to vcr's.
I just have to ask but i figure that you have already tried this: Do your tv accept a vga-signal with a suitable stereosignal from the legacydrivers (+having dvi-i(a) from the graphiccard)? That way you'll only need a dvi-vga adapter + a pinmodded cable.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Yes, my LG 42LM6200 has a VGA input and can even do 3D over VGA. Unfortunately, it only supports side by side, top bottom, and 2D->3D conversion when VGA is connected. Not much help there, since the old driver doesn't support those. With a digital input, the display opens up additionally checkerboard, horizontal, and vertical interleave. The driver has native support for both the latter and checkerboard via a registry hack.

I gotta find a way to block the EDID. But I'm not sure a digital device will work without an EDID.

What I'm thinking about doing right now is running a DVI-D PLUS SPDIF AUDIO --> HDMI converter out of the 7900GTX and see if that would do it. But I don't know...
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Regarding the Monoprice converter, one customer remarked that:

* The computer *does not* see the EDID from the attached TV as far as I can tell the converter box has its own EDID and set of supported resolutions reported to the computer. But these seem to include all the common TV resolutions, and the worked fine for me.

It seems that the converter is behaving very typcial to how these converters behave with blocking display EDID.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

After thinking through this a little more, I believe there is no way that I can make this work adequately using digital. There is no way to block the EDID for digital displays. Even if one blocks the TV EDID using an AMP or other digital device, the driver will default to anaglyph. If the 162.50 driver reads an EDID, any EDID, that is not a Zalman, then it defaults to anaglyph. I've tried blocking the EDID in various ways with cable mods for digital, but it simply will not even output to the display. Thus, digital is dependant on a digital EDID to even display at all.

My only option here for this project is to try a different VGA to HDMI converter. An analog to digital converter will show up as a CRT and block the EDID, like I tried with the ATlona one (which was crap).
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

I hate situations like the one you're in. No matter what, everything that could work is in reality a shot into the night. Just because in the end all logic is gone because of programmed borders...
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

I'll keep you updated at least for documenation purposes here. I'm going to try a couple different VGA to HDMI and see if any will pass 1920x1080 in CRT mode properly.
ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

I'm with this problem:
https://forums.geforce.com/default/topi ... d-glasses/
I'm curious if Windows vista can change the edid to accept other 3d modes(Checkerboard,Frame,..etc)using old legacy stereo drivers.
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

The legacy stereo drivers works only up to winxp and the old 7000-series of cards and they do not support checkerboard directly. I don't know if my memory play games with me but someone might had got it working by a registrytweak (like adding some kind of L/R mask in the registry). I don't remember where i saw it or if it even really was about checkerboard, sorry. Maybe someone else knows better.
For the glasses to keep sync you need to attach them through the vga-port (to read the ddc-pin state). Otherwise there's no way that the glasses will "know" which frame that's right or left. I don't know if your specific glasses connects through the vga-port but the ones i had did (edimensional).
ricardokung
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by ricardokung »

Hi Likay.Thanks for the info.I intend to use the 3d tv glasses(Samsung 2013 3dtv 46F7500).The games (tomb raider 2,3,4 and Gothic 1,2)start in 3d using Frame 3d mode(It's great)but I have this L/R swapping every 30 seconds or less.The tv glasses do not have vga-port.My X3d glasses (the dongle)seeems to be defective.I'm very interested in this registrytweak for checkerboard,but I have no idea how to do it.Does windows vista has any other 3d mode than anaglyph using old Nvidia drivers?.Thanks.

EDIT:
-Forgot to tell that I must have the legacy drivers with my GS 7300(Win XP) for 3d starts on the tv.
-I am using a VGA to HDMI converter cause my tv has no VGA port.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”