Old Nvidia Modes

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Old Nvidia Modes

Post by photios »

Guys,
Since the modes on the old school driver aren't exactly self-explanatory except for a few, do any of the 3D modes on the Old driver support side-by-side, top-bottom, and frame sequential. I'm considering using my old school 3D comp on a newer model, but uncertain about compatibility. If anybody knows, let me know. Thanks.

-photios
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Old Nvidia Modes

Post by cybereality »

I don't recall is SBS or over-under working on the old drivers. Looking at this user guide it seems they are not:
http://http.download.nvidia.com/Windows ... _Guide.pdf

What are you trying to accomplish, maybe I can suggest another solution?
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Right now I have my 7900 GTX SLI hooked up to my Mits DLP and use the Vertical Interleaved mode w/registry hack to convert it to checkerboard. Going to be using my DLP somewhere else, and thinking of using a different display for my old school build. I'm wondering if I could use 120 hz Frame Sequential supported display like on the new Samsung 3D monitors (non 3D Nvidia Vision). Would DDC time sequential 'page flipping' on the Nvidia driver mode accomplish this? I wonder...

Other possible options is to get an LG (Monitor or TV) and run a polarized setup using Vertical Intereleave. I believe some of their lineups do Vertical Interleave and Checkerboard. Another possibility would be 7000 or 8000 series Samsung TV's that support that as well with active shutter, but that's a bit pricey 'just' for an old school build, I'd use that more for my 3D Vision build.

I'm not looking to use CRT or any other older display types.

Thoughts?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Hmm.. not sure if LCDs would work with the old Nvidia driver (never tried this myself). Interlaced should work though, I do remember using that.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

I'm trying to find a reason why it wouldn't work...if the LCD is true 120 hz with it's own built in emitter and glasses, any reason on the face of it that it wouldn't work? Think the 7900 GTX can do 120 hz refresh rate at 1920x1080p?
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

You may be right. It certainly *could* work. I just haven't heard of anyone trying it.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

On that score I could try the 3D Vision monitors with built in emitter. Kill two 3D birds with one stone.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Well you would probably need a manual way to enable the 3D mode on the monitor, otherwise the glasses will not turn on.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Ahh, good point. Even though the 3D Vision emitter is built into the display on those newer 3D Vision monitors, it's probably still dependent on the 3D Vision driver itself to being triggered and not just *any* frame sequential source.

I'm thinking right now of one of these two which both are non-3D Vision:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824005298

This LG does side-by-side, top-bottom, framepacked, and line by line. In my case, I could use this display for my PS3 (frame packed) and my old school Nvidia build (line by line).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6824001537

This Samsung is probably an all around better monitor, but it's a little more expensive. It does frame sequential (120 hz), side by side, top bottom etc. The manual says it'll only do frame sequential (120 hz) with AMD 5000 series cards
(see pg. 28 from manual below) or above and Nvidia cards or lower AMD cards will only do side-by-side or top-bottom, but I take this to be pretty much just a marketing ploy (or forced driver issues in AMD cards) since some users of this monitor got it to work with Nvidia 3D Vision with a registry hack and the now defunct 3D Vision emitter emulator. That tells me that the monitor doesn't care as long as it is getting a source signal that is 120 hz frame sequential. If that is the case, then it should work with the old Nvidia driver and the 7900 GTX as long as the 7900 can output 120 hz @ 1080p. As the card supports DVI-D, it should. http://downloadcenter.samsung.com/conte ... 6C-Eng.pdf
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Does it support dual-link DVI-D or only single-link ? You'd need the former to support 1920x1080 at 120Hz.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-7 ... 7900-gtx/9

It appears that the 7900 GTX supports dual-link DVI-D.
cybereality

Post by cybereality »

Personally I think passive FPR is better in terms of compatibility, but that Samsung looks alright as well. One thing to watch out for with the LG monitors is that a bunch of people got the wrong glasses packaged with the monitor and had trouble dealing with customer support. So be careful (just seach for the model number here on MTBS).

The thing to remember is that there is no concept of a frame sequential source feed. To the monitor it looks no different than a 2D signal. So there is still some other element that causes the monitor to go into 3D mode. I know some HDTVs have auto-detection of 3D signals (for example, if you feed it a side-by-side source). So it is possible. I'm just not certain if the Samsung monitor can do that.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

I'm leaning toward the LG because of the cost. While the Samsung might be better quality considering it works, that's a bit more just for an old school display.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

Little update: I'm using the 2012 LG 42LM6200 as a computer monitor. Makes for a great 2D display and 3D is fantastic over previous models. I remember the color bug threads from 2010-2011 versions, but I'm getting no color bug whatsoever with Checkerboard (3D Vision) and Vertical Interleave (Old Nvidia Stereo driver) in this years model.

This was a great pick for my situation that integrates both my machines to one display.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”