Any Thief or System Shock 2 players?

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Any Thief or System Shock 2 players?

Post by VanBurenPhilips »

Just wondering if anyone can give me info on how well these Dark Engine games work in the old-school solution. Looks like for older Directx games like these, the old Nvidia setup is the only way - I've seen some comments from people saying they work, but nothing in detail. I wonder if anyone can let me know how well they work, if there are any glitches, special settings or anything else I should be aware of?

Really hoping they work well and look good - I've just played through Thief 3 using Nvidia 3DTV Play and it looked amazing, but I always preferred the older games.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: Any Thief or System Shock 2 players?

Post by cybereality »

System shock 2 was awesome but I don't think I ever tried it in 3d. I assume it should work with the old NVIDIA driver.
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Yeah, I'm imagining Thief 1 & 2 and System Shock 2 will look fantastic in 3D, but have never seen it in action. Hope it runs well. Awesome games, all of them - I play the various Thief games fairly often, but I only ever played SS2 once completely, so if it works OK it's definitely due a rerun (maybe in coop this time).

Am I right in thinking for directx games older than dx8, the old Nvidia driver is your only option?
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

There used to be some other 3d drivers besides NVIDIA (wicked 3d, etc). Not sure how good they work anymore.
photios
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by photios »

I can confirm these. Thief 1 & 2 and System Shock 2 are all awesome using the old Nvidia driver in 3D (e.g. 91.47). Those games are damn near "Nvidia 3D Vision Ready."
Likay
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Likay »

System shock 2... :) Way ahead of it's time as game too! I haven't played through it though.
Mb: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
Cpu: C2D E6600
Gb: Nvidia 7900GT + 8800GTX
3D:100" passive projector polarized setup + 22" IZ3D
VanBurenPhilips
One Eyed Hopeful

Yep, great game.

photios wrote:I can confirm these. Thief 1 & 2 and System Shock 2 are all awesome using the old Nvidia driver in 3D (e.g. 91.47). Those games are damn near "Nvidia 3D Vision Ready."
Awesome. Looking forward to seeing them like I've never seen them before :D
hifidelitygaming
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by hifidelitygaming »

My own test of them with older drivers (I dont remember exactly which one but they were XP stereo drivers probably later version but not later than 2007 because the shutter glasses I tried) did NOT work with either in XP. It's possible they work in win98 though. I had some horrible flickering that looked like the entire screen was moved back and forth 1/2 inch with no parallax with the game crashing two seconds later. :( Never got it to work. Just sharing for others...

These games are my favorite ever and if I have to i'll build a win98 and wicked 3D (or nvidia old driver) setup just to play them.

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”