Jaws Unleashed and nVidia stereo drivers for XP

Discussion of legacy stereoscopic 3D gaming hardware and software (e.g. NVIDIA XP stereoscopic 3D drivers).
DevilMaster
Two Eyed Hopeful

Jaws Unleashed and nVidia stereo drivers for XP

Post by DevilMaster »

Recently, I've tried to run Jaws Unleashed in stereoscopy with the legacy nVidia stereo drivers for XP, but I have a problem with that game: stereo mode won't activate at all. The problem is with Jaws Unleashed only, since all other games I tried work fine. I've set up the drivers to activate the stereoscopic mode whenever a Direct3D or OpenGL application is launched, and they do so with all games I tried, except with Jaws Unleashed. When I run that game, not only I only see one image, but my eDimensional glasses are not even activated, as if the game was running in... software mode. Can this be fixed? How?

An additional information that might be useful: the in-game graphics are blurry, but if I grab a screenshot with PrintScreen, the resulting image is sharper than what I see in the game. What is going on?
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Re: Jaws Unleashed and nVidia stereo drivers for XP

Post by Fredz »

I guess they do all the matrix calculations (modelview and projection) by themselves instead of using the dedicated function calls from the 3D API (Direct3D or OpenGL, I don't know). So the driver can't transform the matrices to create two off-axis cameras for stereo rendering. And they may not use the buffer swapping calls either so the driver can't intercept anything to send a signal to the glasses.

Seeing the studio who programmed this game (Appaloosa Interactive) had a very console oriented background (Ecco the Dolphin, etc.), I'm not surprised that they used their own routines for this sort of things. It seems it's also the only PC game this studio has developped, so I guess you won't be able to find any existing profile that would be compatible with this game in stereo 3D. That's the limit of stereo drivers...

Return to “Nvidia Legacy Drivers”