American McGee's Alice And 3D Vision

GameGrade3D is a new gamer driven database of the top games, their best settings, and the visual results you can expect using DDD, iZ3D, NVIDIA GeForce 3D Vision, and native 3D solutions.

Have questions and ideas for GameGrade3D? Share them here!
bablank
One Eyed Hopeful

American McGee's Alice And 3D Vision

Post by bablank »

One of my favorite games to play in stereoscopic 3D was American McGee's Alice. I played it on my old XP PC using E-Dimensional shutter glasses on a CRT with an old nVidia stereoscopic driver. It was awesome and the best 3D gaming experience I've ever had. I now have a new Windows 7 kick butt machine with nVidia 3D Vision and a Samsung 120 Hz LCD monitor. I'm now able to player all of the newer games that my old PC couldn't handle, and I'm in 3D heaven. But much to my surprise American McGee's Alice does not render in 3D on my new system. The 3D Vision emitter light doesn't change to bright green when it's running. Seems to me that this game should continue to render in 3D since it worked with old nVidia drivers and I'm now using the very latest. Does anyone know why this is not working and/or how to somehow get it to be recognized by 3D Vision as a game that should render in 3D? I know this is a very old game that many of you may never have played or no longer care about, but I think it still rocks and would love to be able to play it in 3D on my new system.
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Re: American McGee's Alice And 3D Vision

Post by cybereality »

I remember playing Alice when it first came out in 3D and it looked amazing. It was one of the first games I tried when I got my first pair of shutter glasses and it looked really good at the time. The game is using the Quake III engine, which is OpenGL. Unfortunately Nvidia decided to drop OpenGL support in their stereo 3d driver a few years ago. Really old XP drivers (like 2006 era) should still run the game fine but otherwise your are SOL. I don't believe Nvidia has any plans to re-enable OpenGL support. The really sad part is Nvidia's own tech demos (Adrianne Curry, Nalu, Dawn) all use OpenGL and are thus not supported. I was so upset when I got my "new" rig (like 2 years ago) and I was so excited to see those demos in 3D but, alas, they don't work. Sorry bro.
Dom
Diamond Eyed Freakazoid!

Post by Dom »

Hi there might be a way to get OpenGL to render on 3d Vision. I read another post on mtbs3d about this dactyl nightmare level game what was being rendered in quake3arena. The person recommended a program called GL Direct. What this does is covert or load the OpenGL game as a direct x 8.0 game. This is a link for it http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So to use this program you have to unzip it then copy over the opengl32.dll to the game directory where the .exe application files is like this c:\games\quake3arena\ <----- this directory is where the .exe file is so you would copy over the opengl32.dll to this location. It does'nt seem like there is any newer versions for dx9.0 or dx10,11 and I tried this method on doom3 and did not load. It works with quake3arena though. Could also work with other OpenGL games, might be worthwhile to try out and see stereoscopy with 3d Vision.
http://www.cns-nynolyt.com/files/doms-systemspecs.html My System specs In HTML

Cyberia on Youtube

__________________________________________________________________________________________
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

hi bablank

i would like to ask you if you have with the nvidia 3d vison solution ghosting or flickering, and if you tried before passive polarised solution and witch one.
i would kike to ask you also if you put maximum depth when you play games.
i always use 99 per cent stereo 3d in the stereoscopic set up of the nvidia drivers and i am fully pleased without problem with my 3d solution.

ZALMAN+ :polar +WINDOWS 7 32 BIT+ AVATAR= :D :D :D
bablank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bablank »

gicko wrote:hi bablank

i would like to ask you if you have with the nvidia 3d vison solution ghosting or flickering, and if you tried before passive polarised solution and witch one.
i would kike to ask you also if you put maximum depth when you play games.
i always use 99 per cent stereo 3d in the stereoscopic set up of the nvidia drivers and i am fully pleased without problem with my 3d solution.

ZALMAN+ :polar +WINDOWS 7 32 BIT+ AVATAR= :D :D :D
I have some ghosting on a few older games, but newer ones like Avatar and Batman Arham Asylum are flawless and fantastic in 3D. No flickering on anything. Never tried a passive polarized solution. I was tempted by IZ3D, but decided to hold out on moving up to a better computer until Windows 7 came out given all the problems people had with Vista. By that time most folks were saying that 3D Vision was awesome, and I had used nVidia stereoscopic drivers for many years with great results. I have depth set at 45% but change it occasionally using the wheel on the 3D Vision emitter.
bablank
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by bablank »

Dom wrote:Hi there might be a way to get OpenGL to render on 3d Vision. I read another post on mtbs3d about this dactyl nightmare level game what was being rendered in quake3arena. The person recommended a program called GL Direct. What this does is covert or load the OpenGL game as a direct x 8.0 game. This is a link for it http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

So to use this program you have to unzip it then copy over the opengl32.dll to the game directory where the .exe application files is like this c:\games\quake3arena\ <----- this directory is where the .exe file is so you would copy over the opengl32.dll to this location. It does'nt seem like there is any newer versions for dx9.0 or dx10,11 and I tried this method on doom3 and did not load. It works with quake3arena though. Could also work with other OpenGL games, might be worthwhile to try out and see stereoscopy with 3d Vision.
WOW! That worked! Just spent an hour playing Alice in sterescopic 3D with 3D Vision. Thank you very much for this awesome advice. Unfortunately for this game the weapon indicator and Sanity and Strength of Will meters now float close together in the middle of the screen (instead of left and right sides of the screen) partially blocking Alice and are distracting. However, the 3D effect is as good as it was on my old PC, and it's much more fun to play the game in 3D. Thanks again, Dom. Much appreciated.
gicko
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by gicko »

thanks for your answers bablank, they were quite dissipating the shadows in my mind about NVIDIA 3D VISION !
But i think it is too early for me to change to the nvidia 3d vision for the moment.
I will change perhaps if the bigger monitors come out...and even then i am not sure about it.
AND THANKS AGAIN!!!

ZALMAN+ :polar +7 (32 BIT)+AVATAR+NVIDIA 295+FUJI REAL 3D= :D :D :D
chrisguy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by chrisguy »

I know the thread is old but I wanted to share a few fixes I had for this game with 3d Vision, as I'm sure a few will replay the game in anticipation for the sequel!

First, windows 7 x64 does not have direct X9 installed by default, so if you are having issues getting GLdirect to work (will get "cannot load open gl subsystem" error, I believe), download and run the direct X9 web installer (google search) and that should get you up an running. The only problem now is the depth is incorrect and the health meter is in the center of the screen, obscuring the view.

A work around for the health meter issue caused by GLdirect is as follows:

First enable the console in the game options

Than use the "~" key to open up the game console while playing

type "ui_hud 0" into the console and the health meter disappears, leaving an unobstructed view.

Unfortunately you will not be able to see your red health meter or the blue meter (forget what that is called), but you can always type "ui_hud 1" in to toggle the HUD again and check, then untoggle it as before.

Also, go to "set keyboard shortcuts" in your Nvidia control panel under "set up stereoscopic 3D," click the drop down for "Hide advanced in-game settings" and check "enable advanced in-game settings." You will see Ctrl + F6 will increase convergence and Ctrl + F5 will decrease. while in the game, without your glasses on (you should see double), hold Ctrl + F6 until alice is not doubled anymore (may take a few seconds), and this will mean she is exactly at screen level, creating a better 3D effect (the game defaults with her very deep into the screen). The issue with this is the cutscenes are now very far out of the screen, so using Ctrl + F5 to move her slightly into the screen still allows for great 3D during gameplay without the headache-inducing pop-out during the cut scenes. Don't forget to work with the depth slider on the emitter as well, and play with these settings until you get what suits your tastes.

Use Ctrl + F7 to save the changes so that you do not have to set this every time.

Also, I'm assuming most people with 3D vision have widescreen monitors, so use this guide to get the proper resolution while playing: http://www.widescreengamingforum.com/fo ... php?t=3408. Remember to run alice.exe as administrator (if you right click -> properties -> compatibility you can make it so it always opens as administrator) so that it can access the .cfg file and load the proper settings.

Took me a while to get this figured out, hope it helps someone! The game is excellent in 3D, with only the glowing power-ups at a slightly-incorrect depth. It is well worth the tweaking to get the proper effect!

links: http://sourceforge.net/projects/gldirect/ <- gldirect (extract the opengl32.dll to the base folder in the alice install)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/d ... laylang=en <- directx 9 installer
Zloth
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Zloth »

NVIDIA posted some screenshots on 3D Vision Live of Madness Returns, by the way. The 3D looks pretty good!
"Every jumbled pile of person has a thinking part that wonders what the part that isn't thinking isn't thinking of."
- They Might Be Giants
cybereality
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Post by cybereality »

Wow! Looks amazing. Thanks for posting Zloth.

Return to “GameGrade3D Discussion”