Anybody using a Samsung 3D plasma with PS3?

Discuss stereoscopic 3D games and gaming technologies for console (e.g. XBOX, PS3)
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Anybody using a Samsung 3D plasma with PS3?

Post by Anthony1 »

I have the Samsung PN50A450 plasma. It's 3D ready. I've played two different stereo 3D games on this plasma via the Xbox 360. Invincible Tiger: The Legend of Han Tao, and James Cameron's Avatar. Both games have worked fine in stereo 3D on my Samsung PN50A450. What I'm wondering is.... if I could play the PS3 version of Avatar in 3D on my Samsung. I'm pretty sure I can't, but I'm not positive.

You see, my Samsung is kinda weird in the fact that it will only allow me to activate the 3D mode, if it's receiving one of two specific resolutions. The TV "must" receive a resolution of either 1360 x 768, or 1024 x 768, via the HDMI 2 input for it to work. Any other resolution, and it won't allow the 3D option to be turned on. With my Xbox 360, this isn't a problem. I can set the Xbox 360 to output the native resolution of the display (1360 x 768), and everything works wonderfully. With the PS3, I don't think it will work. I'm pretty sure the PS3 will output it at 1280 x 720, and then my Samsung won't allow me to turn on the 3D mode.

If I could get my hands on the PS3 version of Avatar, I could test it out. I wish I could just rent the game for one day for like $1.99 to see. I don't want to pay Blockbuster $9 to rent it for a week just to find out that it doesn't work.
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Re: Anybody using a Samsung 3D plasma with PS3?

Post by ssiu »

Pretty sure you are correct that it won't work on PS3. Just like Invisible Tiger S3D on your display works for Xbox360 and not PS3. (And that is because the Xbox360 has a hardware scaler that the PS3 doesn't have.)
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

ssiu wrote:Pretty sure you are correct that it won't work on PS3. Just like Invisible Tiger S3D on your display works for Xbox360 and not PS3. (And that is because the Xbox360 has a hardware scaler that the PS3 doesn't have.)
That's what I figured. And this has me very concerned. Reason being, Sony supposedly has big things in store for S3D and the Playstation 3. They have already shown demos of a number of their games running in 3D (Motorstorm: Pacific Rift, GT5, Wipeout HD), and there have been rumors that they might somehow allow psuedo S3D support for all existing games via some type of firmware patch. We all know that Sony has some 3D displays coming down the pipe in the near future, and they will definitely leverage the PS3 towards that end.

So, then the question must turn to whether or not I could get some type of external scaler. Run the PS3 to the external scaler, and then from the external scaler to my Samsung. I'm not sure such a device exists in any kind of realm of affordability, as well as the factor of whether or not it would introduce significant lag. For example, that extra process of scaling could create a split second of a delay that would throw off any game requiring quick reflexes.

Damn, Sony really F'd up with not including a hardware scaler in the PS3. For the life of me, I don't understand why any of the newer versions of the PS3 don't have hardware based scaling. Why not add it in to a newer version of the PS3 like the slim? Then at least I could buy one of those...

At least when it comes to 3D Blu Ray's hopefully Samsung will have a player that will have a 1360 x 768 mode for the few 3D plasmas that they sold...
ssiu
Binocular Vision CONFIRMED!

Post by ssiu »

Yes I agree the major blame lies with Sony for not including hardware scaler in PS3.

I also place secondary blame on Samsung for not including S3D support on the 1080p PN50A550 as originally planned; a 1080p S3D display would not have this problem.

Many times I was tempted to buy the PN50A450/PN50B450, especially when it dipped below $1000, but this problem "non-standard resolution that doesn't work with PS3 S3D" is one main issue that stops me from getting it. It should work well with Xbox360 (if it supports more S3D like PS3 will) and HTPC though.
Anthony1 wrote: At least when it comes to 3D Blu Ray's hopefully Samsung will have a player that will have a 1360 x 768 mode for the few 3D plasmas that they sold...
I kind-of doubt that; Samsung stopped selling the S3D glasses and stopped advertising the S3D feature with PN50B450. An HTPC should work though.
Anthony1
Cross Eyed!

Post by Anthony1 »

ssiu wrote:Samsung stopped selling the S3D glasses and stopped advertising the S3D feature with PN50B450.
So, Samsung never made a 1080p Plasma with 3D capabilities? Has anybody made a 1080p plasma with 3D capabilities?
Ouais
Two Eyed Hopeful

Post by Ouais »

Anthony1 wrote:
ssiu wrote:Samsung stopped selling the S3D glasses and stopped advertising the S3D feature with PN50B450.
So, Samsung never made a 1080p Plasma with 3D capabilities? Has anybody made a 1080p plasma with 3D capabilities?
Except prototypes, I don't think so.
It's coming.
I guess it's due to current HDMI (1.3) but I may be wrong.

Ouais
pilotboy
One Eyed Hopeful

Post by pilotboy »

I have a Samsung LCD 3Dtv and it works very very well on the PS3. I would imagine that the software in both tvs would be the same if not very similar.

I have been playing the following games with tremendous success:

Have to hit the "3D' button on the remote and choose the Side by Side or Over/Under format...

Invincible Tiger "Side by Side"

"Native" means the tv recognizes the 3d format...

Super Stardust HD "Native"
Wipeout HD "Native"
Pain "Native"
Demo of Motorstorm Pacific Rift "Native"
Demo of MLD the Show 2010 "Native"

Haven't stop playing things in 3D since I got the tv. The only sad thing is that it doesn't support the 3D Blu-ray at this time. No word on when it will.
tritosine5G
Terrif-eying the Ladies!

Post by tritosine5G »

Im dying to know how bright these plasma setts are with the glasses on.

Maybe the usual foot lambert equation would work? Someone?
-Biased for 0 Gen HMD's to hell and back must be one hundred percent hell bent bias!

Return to “3D Console Gaming”