Stanfords VR Lab Offers Wild Glimpse of the Future

Straight press releases and article referrals for review and discussion.
metalqueen
3D Angel Eyes (Moderator)

Stanfords VR Lab Offers Wild Glimpse of the Future

Post by metalqueen »

By Steve Rosenbaum

The thing about virtual reality is that it's kind of been around a bit too long. Remember when second life was so darn hot? Well, that was a long time ago.

So, when I was invited to explore the Stanford Human/Virtual Reality Lab, I have to say I was ready to be underwhelmed. The lab is the work of professor Jeremy Bailenson -- and one thing is clear right away, he's spent a ton of Stanford's money on the lab. The Lab's mission is "...to understand the dynamics and implications of interactions among people in immersive virtual reality simulations and other forms of human digital representations in media, communication systems, and games." Which is fancy talk for a simple goal, to explore just where VR might actually make a real difference in our world.

Read the whole story here.

Read full article...
- Non-profit, non-partisan.
- Features user contributed education sessions, blogs, and content.
- Safe to interact, registration requires formal non-disclosure agreement. Membership list is equally confidential.
- Open to all except press. People can join as individuals or companies.
- People say the industry needs to get together and learn from one another. This is our chance.
DigiMagic
One Eyed Hopeful

Re: Stanfords VR Lab Offers Wild Glimpse of the Future

Post by DigiMagic »

Not a word about resolution, refresh rate, color and 3D quality... :-(
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

rfurlan wrote:I had a chance to visit Stanford's VHIL (http://vhil.stanford.edu) and try this HMD (http://bit.ly/ReeHLW). It was pretty amazing but definitely not an order of magnitude better than the Rift :D
Fredz
Petrif-Eyed

Post by Fredz »

Found it, it's a nVisor SX111. It uses 1280x1024 LCoS panels and its FOV is 76°x64°.

Now I understand why rfurlan said it was not an order of magnitude better than the Rift, especially considering the lower FOV and the price ($45,000 vs $300).

Return to “MTBS Newswire”